• Thin borders, subtle borders

Votes: 28 35.4%
  • Borders that have all sorts of info added and are a huge part of the card

Votes: 4 5.1%
  • No preference

Votes: 22 27.8%

• Total voters

Cocobird55

I have favorite decks that have, and don't have, borders. I enjoy all of them.

The only preference I have is about the borders having lots of information. I don't like that - I like to look at the images in the cards, and all the information is distracting.

Sue

SongDeva

Simone, to some extent I'm the same way. As people added decks to the list, I realized that I had some I hadn't even thought of. I only listed Templar and Witches to start, but I have the Romani and the Celtic Wisdom (our tarot circle did a neat reading with this one one day).

So to some extent I don't notice, but I think the difference lies in when you open up a borderless deck...*that's* when I notice the difference....the freshness and bigger energy, at least for me. It's like the borderlessness allows the energy of the card to extend past its edges, or, borders!

Lee

I think the self-published Tarot of the Crone is borderless. I like borderless decks, it makes me feel as if I'm entering the deck's world.

-- Lee

zorya

it very much depends on the art. some designs work better with, some without. i love the way it seems that you can step right into the borderless buckland romani, on the other hand, i could not imagine the world spirit to work as well without a border.

my pet peeve is decks that have borders with all kinds of information on them, especially those on historic reproduction decks! i would really prefer the decks look as they originally did.

firemaiden

I despise borders when they take up most of the card and leave you with very tiny pictures. The borders on the Goddess Deck destroy that deck for me. I'd love the borders on the MP to disappear, (and to see more of her actually paintings instead), the borders on the Tarot of the Druids make me want to cry (ruin the Lupatelli paintings for me)...

I'd prefer the paintings to be bigger, the borders smaller... the ones on the Golden Tarot are nice.

Gerbear

NO BORDERS

Xultun Tarot
Buddhistic Fantasy Tarot

contrascarpe

Re: NO BORDERS

Gerbear said:
Xultun Tarot
Buddhistic Fantasy Tarot

LOL - Gerbear - I read your post listing how many decks you have in your collection, but I must admit you come up with some I have never even HEARD of. Your tarot collection is a good rival to my dvd collection.

Dan

Ravenswing

snip, snip...

as many of you may remember, my preference is to remove those that bother me... The border tends to restrict the image IMO

I don't like paintings with frames either.

The deck I'm working on is borderless. And no numbers or words either--strictly visual, the way I believe tarot should be...

fly well
raven

Rusty Neon

Norse Tarot

A very interesting concept is when parts of the card image encroach into the borders. This is done very artfully in the Norse Tarot.

P.S. Image encroachment onto the borders isn't just a recent phenomenon. You can see it in the World card of the 1760 Conver Tarot de Marseille deck.

Myrrha

I saw a Thoth deck on ebay from the 70's that didn't have the Egyptian clip art borders and it was overwhelmingly gorgeous. A whole different deck. The person selling the deck said that originally, as A.C. produced the deck, it didn't have the borders but they were added at some point by a US publisher. Don't know if this is true or not but I did like how the deck looked without borders.

--Myrrha