Why do people see The World negatively?

re-pete-a

Mulling over this WORLD card, it dawned on me that it is reflective, as is any of the worlds events...drawing one into a reactive situation and reflecting ...Which I'm sure was the original intention of the creators of this system....

Extricate yourself from the world and it's attachments and events of the world and it's simply observed in a detached manner...Interesting ...Now throw in preferences ...it becomes alive and one is drawn in... with the inner world reflected onto the outer world due to personal preferences and judgements . That's the preceding Major...Judgements

Interesting.

Not all of the Tarot cards are Trumps...and all Tarot cards are pictorial... That I know of.

frejasphere

I like and agree with the reflective aspect re-pete-a :)

I see every card in the Tarot as pictorial too, and as with anything visual; the clues, appreciation, interpretation and understanding of each 'picture' is in the eyes of the beholder ...

re-pete-a

The WORLD card is the last card in the Majors...for a reason...

At that point in the cycle of things it's about to start again with it's reflective knowledge ADDED to the next step or phase ..be it another realm or aspect of this WORLD or the next...

It can be ignored, but won't change... but any astute soul grower will grab it's knowledge with both hands because it RE-COLOURS where ever you look...as well as EXPOSES one to oneself...

Personal responsibilities for one's actions and thoughts and their base motives are exposed...

The shadows of the mind have no where to hide ...

Perhaps this is picked up at another level by those that may fear or feel anxious about it...Which could lend credence to past lives...

etherealtarot

At that point in the cycle of things it's about to start again with it's reflective knowledge ADDED to the next step or phase ..be it another realm or aspect of this WORLD or the next...

It can be ignored, but won't change... but any astute soul grower will grab it's knowledge with both hands because it RE-COLOURS where ever you look...as well as EXPOSES one to oneself...

I've never seen The World in that way at all. I love how you put this. You're right and thinking about when I first made this thread to today... what you described is exactly how things turned out.

A certain cycle of our relationship has ended and we now moved onto a higher plane with much more knowledge of our situations and each other than when we began.

etherealtarot

As long as one is comfortable with the idea that it is an impermanent resting place in a larger cycle of "becoming," the fact that it may be experienced as topically "negative" becomes irrelevant. To the average seeker, though, I suppose an "ending" that doesn't culminate in completion or fulfillment is a disappointment, and therefore negative in character.

I never saw it like that before. I will admit that I was ignorant and believed The World would only end in fulfillment. I didn't want to see it being anything else at the time. It's been quite some time since I have posted this and my outlook has changed.

re-pete-a

I've never seen The World in that way at all. I love how you put this. You're right and thinking about when I first made this thread to today... what you described is exactly how things turned out.

A certain cycle of our relationship has ended and we now moved onto a higher plane with much more knowledge of our situations and each other than when we began.

Only because you were willing to move ...now a little bit of your ego has been chipped away...imagine what would happen if you weren't willing...

Thanks for posting this thread as it's been a great help to re visit some aspects of the self and it was certainly timely it seems for more than yourself....

Don't ya just love how serendipity works...

ravenest

Aha! Some learned fellow gave me the term for what I was trying to explain above;

Eudaimonia (perhaps more from the Stoic viewpoint).

Gabe

Rarely have I heard people speaking well of this card. A lot of people say it's about the end of a cycle.... but wouldn't that be Death? I really don't see The World as an end. I don't at all. I know every card has two sides and not all cards can be either good or bad. But it really disappoints me that people see The World this way.

I see The World as a beautiful card, especially one to get as an outcome. I would say they will literally feel like they are on top of the world. I see this as a card of confidence and being able to persevere through all struggles. In the Universal Fantasy, a giant, naked woman, with a smile walks on the land. She looks content like finally all is well in the world.

If you see it in a negative way, how come?

To me, I used to see it positively, but experience has forced me to change my mind. It does mean end of a cycle to me, always. Never found it with a positive meaning...

nisaba

But endings are not always bad!

A baby gets toilet-trained and learns how to walk, that cycle ends and they become a toddler. A toddler learns how to talk and a lot of other stuff and becomes a schoolchild, the end of another cycle. Then they hit puberty - the end of another cycle. Then they leave school, the end of another cycle. Then they leave their first dreadful job for a second, better-paid job - the end of a cycle. The engaged person stops being engaged and starts being married - the end of a cycle. The university student gets their degree - the end of a cycle.

You see all ends of cycles as bad?

Gabe

But endings are not always bad!

A baby gets toilet-trained and learns how to walk, that cycle ends and they become a toddler. A toddler learns how to talk and a lot of other stuff and becomes a schoolchild, the end of another cycle. Then they hit puberty - the end of another cycle. Then they leave school, the end of another cycle. Then they leave their first dreadful job for a second, better-paid job - the end of a cycle. The engaged person stops being engaged and starts being married - the end of a cycle. The university student gets their degree - the end of a cycle.

You see all ends of cycles as bad?

No, of course not...but the example you gave about the engaged person getting married is not suitable, in my opinion...that is not what I mean by end of a cycle....