Your Favorite Underrated Deck...

Laura Borealis

Re: Re: Re: no one has mentioned the tarot nova

Lee said:
Hi Laura, this deck has been published in a few different editions and sizes. One of them, the one I have, came in a "Fortune Telling" kit, packaged with a tiny book on palm reading, and they call it the Tarot Nova. You can see it here:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=1561387568/ref=nosim/aeclectic/

-- Lee

Funny, mine came in a kit too, but just with the deck, book, and a paper spread cloth (which I don't use). It doesn't say Nova anywhere... though obviously the same line of kits from the same press. Odd! :)

Anyway, I'm glad to know its name.

Osher

Oh, this has been an interesting thread!

I vote fo:

The Londa:
Interesting imagery, modern, but actually, quite nice

The Cosmic:
Some find the faces off putting, but I actually like the drawings, and the faces enhance it, as they help the cards feel more familiar

The Secret
Some beautiful ideas here, and well drawn. Excellent!

The Kasandler (spelling?)
A strange mix of cultures, but it works! Not the easiest deck to work with, but definately worth getting and exploring.

jema

Just two for now.

*Roots of Asia
It is becoming one of my most used decks. I love to use it in readings for people on-line and for myself. Oddlu enough people I read for in person often choose something else. Perhaps it doesn't look like they expect a tarot to look like.

*Zerner-Farber
I got mine from a friend and unfortunatly I used it so it is almost in shreds now. I like that it is small and pretty. It is a deck we once on this forum decided that people born in the sign of cancer was most crazy about:)

lark

This is a deck I love that no one seems to read with or even have on the forum.
Rune Cards by Tony Linsell and Brian Partridge.

http://www.tarotpassages.com/rune1.htm

The black and white drawings remind me of the Victoria Regina Tarot.
They are full of wonderful images that make the meaning of each rune really pop out for you.
Great 95 page booklet. Full of info.
The backs of the cards are beautiful and reversable.
All in a sturdy lift off top box.
It seems to be underrated and unknown!
I'm very happy I found this little gem and added it to my collection.
Runs rings around Blum's Rune cards.

galadrial

Tarot of the Cat People.

I put off getting this deck for the longest time because I didn't think it would have enough depth to be a good reading deck. I was wrong! It's a fantastic reading deck, is more gorgeous than the scans can do justice to, and I even liked the two books that Andre Norton wrote based on the deck, "The Mark of the Cat", and it's sequel, "The Year of the Rat".

Bean Feasa

That's interesting Galadriel (in fact this is a very interesting thread) - I bought Tarot of the Cat People, but never did anything with it apart from look through once or twice. Must have another go.

I think the Hanson-Roberts and Tarot of a Moon-Garden are underrated, mostly through being dismissed as fluffy. They've both been calling to me lately for my daily draws, and have surprised me with their crispness and clarity.

Laura Borealis

My friend Lena reads for clients with the Cat People deck, and she finds it to be very effective and quite deep.

I didn't know Andre Norton wrote novels based on it... I'll have to keep my eye out for those!

Chronata

Moonbow* said:
I have another one:

The Vision Tarot. I was even disappointed myself when I got this but now its a deck I wouldn't part with. Reading with this deck helps me to memorise meanings because the minors are pips. I don't know of anyone else here that uses it.

some close up cards: http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/vision/

full deck:http://wwwrsphysse.anu.edu.au/~tdt050/vision/vision.jpg

I do! I do! I am so happy that there is someone else out there who loves the Vision!!

I just got this deck recently, after wanting it for a very long time, based solely on the scans of a few of the Majors.

I had to cut the black borders off mine, though, because I found them to be distracting and unnessessary...

This is one of my favorite new decks. I even started a thread on it...but no one responded, so I figured no one else had one!

Yes. The Vision is the very definition of the Underrated deck!

Cocobird55

I'm glad to hear that people like the Vision deck. I just won it from e-bay, and expect it to arrive sometime this week.

Coincidentally, I bought the Tarot of the Cat People last week. A friend had it, and after looking through it, I decided I liked it.

Unfortunately, my cards are spread out on my window sill to get rid of the icky chemical odor that is becoming more common on new decks. I'm looking forward to using it, too.

Sue

lunakasha

Cocobird55 said:
Unfortunately, my cards are spread out on my window sill to get rid of the icky chemical odor that is becoming more common on new decks. I'm looking forward to using it, too.

Sue

Hey Cocobird55!

Have you tried keeping the smelly decks in a sealed container with some white sage??? I have done this with my Radiant RW, and after about a week, they smelled WONDERFUL!!!

:D Luna