Your Favorite Underrated Deck...

Kiama

Another vote here for the Nigel Jackson, but the one that really gets my excited (calm down there!) is the Sugar Mystic Tarot, the deck that was my first love... And one that I only just got round to reviewing, after reading what I considered to be a terrible review that obviously didn't understand the deck properly. (They couldn't even notice that it is Major Arcana and 4 Aces.)

Here's my review of the deck:

http://www.tarotpassages.com/sugarmystic-kh.htm

I also love the Triple Goddess Tarot and the Mantegna Tarot, though I very rarely see them talked about.

Oh, and the Celtic Wisdom. I beautiful, deep deck that hasn't got the attention it deserves.

Kiama

crystal cove

Most of my favorites don't seem to be popular. But that's fine, I take it as a compliment. :D

Hermetic
Ship of Fools
Tarocco della Rocca
Tarocco della Felicite (one of the most beautiful I've ever seen)
Mantegna (on my wish list)
Secret Tarots
Roots of Asia
Haindl
Medieval Scapini

Lee, I love the Prediction Tarot.

Cocobird55

The Buckland Romani, which gives me fantastic readings.

And the Sharman-Caselli, which is a great learning deck.

Sue

Shade

My vote goes to my Secret Tarot, certainly not as widely discussed as many of Lo Scarabeo's theme decks but I love it.

Nevada

Tarot of Transformation - I 3rd it!

Kirali said:
I'd have to second Dead Star's nomination! It is very accurate and so beautiful! :)
I've been using the Tarot of Transformation in the past few days with some results that feel intensely "right" to me. The images are incredibly readable. I wish it was a little easier to shuffle, but I'm amazed that this deck isn't mentioned more often. I love it!

Nevada

paradoxx

no one has mentioned the tarot nova

This little deck is facinating, the bright colors on the black background, the small size, the bizzare symbolisim blenidng traditoinal Waite and Thoth together.

What about the Cosmic Tarot, maybe not underrated, but unlike the review about it, the pictures are not "poster style." Once again a combination of Waite and Thoth symbols into a cohesive new system, and quite easy to read upon as well.

Maybe the los scarabe Egyptain Tarots, it was my first deck after all.

Laura Borealis

Re: no one has mentioned the tarot nova

no one has mentioned the tarot nova

I have that one! When you mentioned it, I looked it up here. That's the one I've been calling my no-name deck, because there's no name other than "Tarot" on the box.

It's really nice to have a name to put to it. Though now I'm mystified as to how it got the name, seeing as how the review doesn't give me a clue.

I do like the simple, vivid images on this deck, and like the reviewer says, they look better in person than on the scans. But I find it very hard to shuffle, due to the small size and almost square shape of the cards, and the stickiness of the coating.

Lee

Re: Re: no one has mentioned the tarot nova

laura_borealis said:
It's really nice to have a name to put to it. Though now I'm mystified as to how it got the name, seeing as how the review doesn't give me a clue.
Hi Laura, this deck has been published in a few different editions and sizes. One of them, the one I have, came in a "Fortune Telling" kit, packaged with a tiny book on palm reading, and they call it the Tarot Nova. You can see it here:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=1561387568/ref=nosim/aeclectic/

-- Lee

Dark_angel

Now I've read Kiama's review, I want the Sugar Mystic Tarot - it's going straight on the wishlist!

My favourite underrated decks are:

Adrian - I know a lot of people criticise the 'model' looks of the people, but I think it's a wonderful deck. The symbolism, the LWB, the minors, the finish, it's all perfect for me, and some of the cards are extremely haunting. For example, The World. This girl does look like a model, and could be seen as the embodiment of the world or as someone who has the whole world at her feet. Yet she is alone and unhappy, wishing for a future in which people would truly value her. I find it to be a very thoughtful and un-fluffy deck.

The Amber Tarot - critics say that the deck "isn't the deck described in the book". It never claimed to be. What would be the point in including cards of the three dead siblings who we never actually encounter? The deck is stunning, and the allocations of the cards make perfect sense to me. Some people have criticised having, for example, Brand as the Page of Discs; I think this is a very accurate choice - he is creative, ambitious, and yet so completely tied up in his own ambitions that he cannot see the bigger picture, and the point at which he is shown is indeed a point where he is learning.