Bargain, Bust or Best of the Bunch...

Cerulean

Name your memorable tarot

Bargain

Bust

Best of the Bunch?

(If you include one or two oracles, I don't think the moderators would be too disturbed)

Mari, whose contemplating her picks and pans...

Cerulean

Bargains:
1. 1975 Visconti Tarocchi, U.S. Games, $35 from abebooks.com
2. Dei Visconti Tarocchi, Dal Negro, $20 from E-bay.
3. 1971 Rider Waite, U.S. Games, Accurate Color Tones, unlaminated, from used bookstore, $8.00

Bust
1. Lukumi Tarot and Tarot of the Orishas.
Just never did it for me.

Best of the Bunch:

Well, the perfect tarot might be the ones that I don't have:

http://www.loscarabeo.com/catalogo2004/Catalogo_UK/catalogo.htm
Hmmmm....

I'm dancing over the Estensi Tarot and delighting over the Tarot of the Eternal Stars...Estensi for historical and Eternal Stars because I do like Andrea Serio's beautiful Dante Tarot paintings, but I'm thinking a Thoth workalike with dreamlike paintings and decans might be fun...and maybe I'll understand those astrological degrees much much better.

Mari H.

little

Bargain: I found not one but two copies of the PoMo at Half Price Books, plus two Tarot for Cats, all priced at $14.95. :D

Then there's the Rock Art Tarot, which I got on the sale table at Borders for $5. Everyone in the world hates this deck but me- and I adore it, so I got the benefit of disagreeing with the crowd.

Bust: The Lord of the Rings Tarot/Card Game is the ugliest, most intrusive, most impossible to read deck I've ever paid full price for.

Even on sale, Tapestry Tarot and Questor are so ugly to me that I wish I'd left them on their sale tables.

Best: Victoria Regina was my second deck and is still one of my favorites.

I'm also in love with my Visconti Gold and with my Old English Tarot.

Of course, I still do most of my actual reading with my old Universal Waite, which is starting to get that nice used feel. And the familiar feeling of a deck that is softening to your individual touch might just be the best of all, don't you think?

Logiatrix

Bargains:
>Healing Earth Tarot, $15
>PoMo Tarot, $12

Bust:
>Mini Motherpeace, full price, but I was unable to return it, per the rules of that particular shop--I don't buy tarot there anymore.
>Minchiate Tarot (Williams); paid full price for a poorly cut and defective deck that I was eventually able to return.

Best of the Bunch:
>My beloved Visconti Gold (1999), from way back in the beginning.
>My equally beloved Aquarian (1970)--also a bargain, as it was a trade with the lovely Faunabay (thank you, Faunabay!).
:)

faunabay

Quote:
Best of the Bunch:
>My equally beloved Aquarian (1970)--also a bargain, as it was a trade with the lovely Faunabay (thank you, Faunabay!).
:)

Thank you! Thank you very much!! (snicker)

I'm sooo glad you're enjoying it Tauni!! :* :*

dolphinprincess

Bargain:
I got my Inner Child Cards (book and card set) like new for $8.95 and the workbook for $4.95 :eek:)

Bust:
I've had many "busts".. but one that sticks out is The Tarot of Transformation by Willow Arinea & Jasmin Lee Cori. This is mainly bc I was SO disappointed.. I really loved this deck, but the card quality was AWFUL - paper thin, rough edges, and the coating allowed your fingerprints to be seen on the cards.. I loved the deck, but for the price, I just could not get past the quality, so I took it back...!

(edited to add).. Also, the LOTR tarot. I forgot about this one until I read other posts. I adore LOTR - and if this deck was spectacular, I probably wouldn't touch another deck again. haha!.. but it SO wasn't!

Best of the Bunch:
I love my Froud Faeries' Oracle.. and I have the Dolphin Daze Tarot on the way :eek:)

** great thread Mari.. thanks :eek:)

VGimlet

Bargain - PoMo for 23.00 from Amazon.com
Greenwood tarot - 40.00 half.com
Shakesperian Tarot - 11.00 from ebay
Marvel Tarot - 28.00 from ebay

Bust - Unicorn Tarot - very disappointed
Celtic Dragon Tarot - ditto
TArot of the Cat People - not for me

Best of the Bunch? - Rock & Roll tarot
Amber Tarot
Okay, most of my other decks....I like them all for various reasons.

Kiama

Bargain:

- Hermetic Tarot by Godfrey Dowson... Free! (A gift from a friend who on longer wanted to study Tarot, and knew I liked Tarot. But neither of us knew the deck was worth so muc. I love the deck aswell because it is so deep...

- Greenwood Tarot, by Chesca Potter. Boyfriend found it in a New Age shop in Poole for about ?15.

- Papus Tarot, found in Glastonbury, ?4.

- Knapp-Hall Tarot, same place, ?4.

Bust:

- LOTR deck. Horrible, horrible, horrible deck. It could have been so good... but it wasn't.

- Dragon Tarot. Again, Peter Pracownik has sold himself short. Ugly deck, too dark for my liking, nothing to read... Even my friend who loves everything 'dragon' hates this deck.

- Royal Tarot. I only own this deck to show people what NOT to buy. (Made in Taiwan... says it all.)

- One World Tarot, by Crystal Love. Oh, dear God NO! Disembodied heads for all the Court Cards? AGGGH!!!

Best of the Bunch?

- Salvador Dali deck
- William Blake Tarot of the Creative Imagination
- Sugar Mystic Tarot (my childhood pal, first ever Tarot deck!)
- Celtic Wisdom Tarot (a half-decent Celtic deck is hard to find these days!)
- Triple Triple Goddess Tarot (Yep, I said triple... I works somehow...) I don't know why I am so in love with this deck. I got it in a trade from Tauni, and I fell in love with it immediately... I can't explain it. (It also smells really nice! :D)
- Cosmic Tribe (aka. The Nekkid Tarot.) I bring this out at every Tarot workshop I give... }) Fond memories, quite a few rather lovely men... }) Oh, and it's good for reading too!

There are so many more I love... But I'd be here all day trying to say why!

Blessings,

Kiama

Ruby7

Bargain:

Astro Mythological Lenormand oracle deck for $7.00 (can't remember if that was CDN or U.S. dollars) from E-Bay

Bust:

Renaissance Tarot by Brian Williams, I got the set cheap on E-Bay, so disappointed by the artwork, maybe I just don't "get" the Renaissance period. Is it me or the cards? Anyone?

Best of the Bunch:

William Blake
Hanson Roberts
Faery Wicca ---except that the green colour from the back of the cards is smudging onto the front of some cards. I've only had the deck for two months!

Dark_angel

Bargains: Greenwood for ?25
Ananda (bought from faunabay, and absolutely priceless!)
Vargo Gothic (I think it was only ?9, from ebay)

Busts: One World Tarot - I really liked some of the Majors, and the minors were ok, but Court Cards are so important to me, and were just the same head for every Queen, the same for every King, etc. It's run away now - maybe it's found someone who appreciates it, because I hated not liking it.

Best of the Bunch: Hard to say, I mean, I've just got the Greenwood, Fey and Prague, and not studied any of them properly yet.

Of the ones I have studied:
Vertigo (very cool, have had some wonderfully surreal experiences here)
Mermaids (far far FAR prettier than RWS, and virtually identical)
Ananda (quite possibly The One - my Desert Island deck)

That's just so far though!

Decks I want:

Amber
Shakespearian
Tarot du Chat
Tarot Belline
Hermetic