Card XV - the Devil - face on the belly

MaureenH

Hi Bee, I think I've manged to lose the context here. Would you flesh out your comment a bit more, please? What is a sin-eater? Also, what do you mean by a goodie and baddie? As types? Phases? Flashes? Thanks. :)

Bernice

Nice to 'see' you maureen :)

Sin Eaters are a historical phenomenon, where people would symbolically ingest the sins of others, particularly the dead and dying so they could venture forth to the afterlife with their souls unburdened.

http://www.sacred-texts.com/etc/fcod/fcod07.htm

Scroll down or do a page-text-search for = sin-eater.
Also, what do you mean by a goodie and baddie? As types? Phases? Flashes?
If the Devil card portrayed a Sin-eater (a person), it might explain why the early decks have little faces all over him = he's ingested other peoples sins. plus sin-eaters were sort-of outcasts, being full of sins. So he/Devil could be a real nice person burdened with the sins of others (a goodie), or an evil-type who relishes sinful things/behaviour (a baddie).

'Twas just a thought....

Bee

eugim

-So the beast above the X card.

mac22

Bernice said:
What about a Sin-Eater? Could be a 'baddie', or a heavily burdened 'goodie'. Just a thought...

Bee

A useful concept, also as a form of recycling, reincarnation.

Mac22

eugim

-Yes Mac as you said...

gryphon

MaureenH

Bernice said:
Nice to 'see' you maureen :)

Sin Eaters are a historical phenomenon, where people would symbolically ingest the sins of others, particularly the dead and dying so they could venture forth to the afterlife with their souls unburdened.

http://www.sacred-texts.com/etc/fcod/fcod07.htm

Scroll down or do a page-text-search for = sin-eater.If the Devil card portrayed a Sin-eater (a person), it might explain why the early decks have little faces all over him = he's ingested other peoples sins. plus sin-eaters were sort-of outcasts, being full of sins. So he/Devil could be a real nice person burdened with the sins of others (a goodie), or an evil-type who relishes sinful things/behaviour (a baddie).

'Twas just a thought....

Bee

Interesting. Sin-eating sounds like a priest's role except where did God enter in this agreement if at all. Were these strictly pagan practices, or was there some kind of loose agreement between everyone including church officials? I wonder if people tried to have their sins eaten before death was on the horizon the way people attempted to pay off their sins. Also sounds like something a good friend does these days on a regular basis regardless of the imminence of death. I wonder if historically this was mostly a symbolic act, or did the dying do some kind of confessing to this scapegoat. Was it voluntary? That site mentioned the individual cut himself off from the community. The eating of bread and beer from themaple bowl sounds very eucharistic.

When did this idea prevail? Given Jewish persecution, I find it odd that so many customs were mimiced. Would it have been common enough in France to appear on the tarot? I think it's kind of scary to think how comfortable we can be assigning types to people. That pretty much must've removed, perceptively anyway, any sense of responsibility from the majority of people in the community if they thought one person would be relieving them of their sins before a transition.

Rosanne

Here is an image of a Pict (as was erroneously thought to be one) in the 17th Century. It is somewhat inaccurate. This was how they were thought to be as the 'painted people' from Pagan places. The quintessential pagan- the not of God people.
They did paint their bodies with faces on their bellies.
They were known to the Romans and their fierceness was renowned in the Medieval/ Renaissance European World.
http://members.tripod.com/~Halfmoon/pict.gif

There are several things they are famous for. Living at the edge of the World was one- towing around their prisoners on long metal chains attached to a torque around their neck was another. The blue woad tattoos on their bellies made them look fierce. They also carried a trident type weapon.

Not a lot is known about their ancestry- but they may have had French/Spanish blood. They assumed myth like dread in the minds of Romans.
~Rosanne

Bernice

Rosanne :)

Now this pic of Pict does seem to look very like the Devil in several marseille-type decks. What a wonderful find!

An 'ungodly' person = Yes
Faces on body = Yes
Carrying a trident = Yes

And painted Picts were around from very early centuries....

I think you may have solved the origins of The Devil, Rosanne!

Bee