critique

kalliope

I'll give another thumbs-up to the idea of a Formal Critique sub-forum that includes posting guidelines. That way the artist and the participants all know what the endeavor is about, which should minimize offense on each side. Artists who don't want to deal with reactions like "Ooohh, hate it! Ugly colors!" can post in the formal section only. Artists who choose to share in the general creation area will know to expect more of a free-for-all. Posters who want to engage only in a certain kind of thoughtful discussion can head to the Formal section. Posters who don't want any rules about what they can say can participate in the general area.

GryffinSong's suggestions may have been about art critiques, but they are very similar to how writers' workshops are run (which is what I'm more familiar with.) There are "rules" about how to structure your critique, and guidelines regarding courtesy, tact, the sort of language that's encouraged, etc. And yet honest and detailed criticism can still take place.

I think some of the problems that arise from these discussions are due to differing expectations. People accustomed to "formal critiques" because of art school or writers' workshops may be surprised and upset by super-blunt statements that aren't in the standard "constructive criticism" language. Posters who aren't accustomed to the "formal critique" techniques may feel restricted by all of the "shoulds" involved. Having a place for each of these groups to be comfortable would be great.

prudence

I would just like to say that this tread has been an wonderful tread to both read and post in. The length of the posts and thought that people are putting into this discussion are fantastic. I applaud everyone here for not turning this thread into a decent into madness like past threads on this issue.

You all have made my day!

Edmund

I second this cheer! Well done. :thumbsup:

Tarot Illuminati

On Cretiques

"The Critic is he who can translate into another manner or a new material his impression of beautiful things. The highest, as the lowest, form of criticism is a mode of autobiography. Those who find Ugly meanings in beautiful things are corrupt with-out being charming. This is a fault!
Those who find beautiful meanings in beautiful things are the cultivated. For these, there is hope!"

Oscar Wilde

gregory

Well, it's nice to see you here. :) Your deck is positively luminous !

But there is the issue of defining beauty. AM I so uncultured because I cannot see David as beautiful ? I see lots of other things I "ought" to see beauty in as beautiful !

Is there, then, no hope for me ? :(

Tarot Illuminati

Its really all a matter of perspective as far as beauty is concerned, perhaps the point I was really trying to make is that the form, or language ones crticisms take are a direct reflection of oneself. Having been, or my deck rather, the object of some pretty harsh comments on this forem, I can honestly say that I consider all points of view valuable, but ones choice of words can be just as effective without being hurtfull.

Chiska

I am uncomfortable with giving my personal opinion of how something looks and calling it a critique. To me this is a matter of taste. I am not schooled in the arts, I only know what I like. I don't like yellow, for example, if used in excess, but that really isn't here nor there.

However, I will point out things that seem out of place - such as a happy polar bear dancing in a field of grass & flowers under the sunshine. :D Or perhaps technical issues about which I feel I have some expertise. Like "That title is off centered." or "if you hook that circuit up that way, you shall blow the capacitor, is that the intention?" The later is not likely to happen in the tarot world, so...

I like the idea of formal critiquing. It helps the artist without the situation becoming nasty. If I were to try and design a deck, I would get more from somebody who would critique on technical issues rather than from somebody who says, "OMG! That is so ugly!! How can you put those colors together??? And who taught you how to draw?! Gods, you suck!!"

gregory

Its really all a matter of perspective as far as beauty is concerned, perhaps the point I was really trying to make is that the form, or language ones criticisms take are a direct reflection of oneself. Having been, or my deck rather, the object of some pretty harsh comments on this forum, I can honestly say that I consider all points of view valuable, but ones choice of words can be just as effective without being hurtful.

Yes - that thread has been a little - harsh, I agree. My apologies if any of it was mine - I am actually looking forward to your deck. Negative comments are one thing, but still, taking the piss out of an artist who isn't joining in the "fun" is rather off. It is exactly the kind of thing I think this thread was started to deal with. The assumption that it's safe to make fun of some artist we don't happen to know here is - distasteful, to say the least. And even if it were true - it isn't a nice thing to do.

If I have done this again since I repented of my wicked ways a couple of years ago (not counting the de-enabling thread :D) someone please hit me. :(

Tarot Illuminati

Precisely why I chose to post on this particular thread as opposed to the one directly concerning my work. I just wanted to encourage folks, from the artist’s perspective, to make an effort to encourage and offer insight rather than “Bash” someone else’s hard work or sincere vision. That is not to say that one should “sugar coat” there comments, just that choice of words are important. After all, what we put out there does indeed come back to us 10 fold, in my opinion at least! Thanks for your words of encouragement, most appreciated!

tarotlyn

:heart::) Hi! Tarot Illuminati! WELCOME TO AT!!!

I just want to say that your Illuminati deck is the MOST BEAUTIFUL deck I have ever seen! :heart::):thumbsup:

...and I predict that most people that see this deck will fall totally in love with it as well.

:party: Congratulations! and Good Luck with your future sales :party:

I hope you will come back here often and join us :heart:

Blessings of :) Light and :heart: Love
HUGS
tarotlyn

Tarot Illuminati

Your not really hearing me, no bother, I wasnt refering specifically to the comments about my deck really, just that avoiding a rather "Venamous" tone when commenting would be cool. There seem to be specific individuals that enjoy giving that type of comment, just saying, quite sad really!