Deck of the Dreamers 2010

EthanJamesPetty

Thanks for the comments - I agree with you that death and the devil are both a bit too dark for the rest of the deck. I plan to stylize both of them quite a bit on the second pass.

As far as the funky hat, I find some people love it, others hate it. I guess it's a similar reaction to WoW hats :)

EthanJamesPetty

I've finished the High Priestess. It took longer than expected, but she had a lot of complexity and I kept adding and scrapping different ideas each night. Finally I decided to drop the pomegranates and palms, but used the open sea as the veil between the pillars. Instead of the bottom of her dress merging with the sea, her dress, and her body as well, is the sea. Keep in mind this deck is supposed to be a dream. Note that she's hiding the scroll in another dream entirely, one she's created (fake moon trinket), so you can't reach it. She's guarding the real moon behind the two pillars. Her tiara shows the phases of the lunar cycle.

Opinions? Does dropping the fruit cause it to lose meaning for you? I know some people liked the purple but I also know some people find the blue important to the card's symbolism as well. I think if you look at my main page with the comparisons, it doesn't lose anything with the switch to blue.

Here's the big image (click on it to zoom to full size): http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2010/171/8/6/The_High_Priestess_by_RingmasterBent.png

rwcarter

The High Priestess is different, but I think I like her, even without the pomegranates and palms. Don't know that I would've gotten as much out of the image as you wrote though. About the only thing in the image that's off-putting is her shoes. I've never given any thought to her footwear, but I'd think that someone who holds secrets would wear closed-toe shoes. Don't know why I think that, but I do! :laugh:

Rodney

liminal_k

You're doing some great work! I love the stars under the ocean. I really look forward to seeing this deck finished (and buying one).

EthanJamesPetty

Thanks!

About the shoes - it just felt weird having her sitting in the ocean with closed shoes. I get where you're coming from, but she's showing a bit more skin than most High Priestesses to begin with :)

rwcarter

EthanJamesPetty said:
Thanks!

About the shoes - it just felt weird having her sitting in the ocean with closed shoes. I get where you're coming from, but she's showing a bit more skin than most High Priestesses to begin with :)
That's true about the clothes. And considering her outfit, those probably are the perfect shoes!

But you've got to remember that the shoes were the only thing that was off-putting about the image. I didn't dislike them, they just didn't seem right. Trust me, the shoes wouldn't be enough to make me not want this deck that you're rushing to finish and get in our hands.... ;) })

Rodney

EthanJamesPetty

Ok... I've done a lot of work on the Magician. I put up a WIP preview for feedback, obviously some parts of the card are not done yet :)

I decided to make him a mix between the Rider-Waite powerful magician and the more traditional trickster-type magician. I wanted it to be unclear whether he's legit (he does look like some sort of wizard) or putting on an act (hence the crazy hair and braids). I'm debating whether or not I should add some of the trick balls and cups like street magicians use or if it's fine the way it is. They would look like the balls tied into his beard if I did. Note that the color is a lot closer to the traditional colors now. I didn't like the first and second cards in the deck having the same blue color scheme anyway.

One big symbol that is missing is the wand pointing skyward and the left hand pointing to the ground. I tried it, but found it fit my character better to have him using the tools of each suit to "put on a show" for the querent. Hopefully the way he's holding the pentacle reflects the way a performer makes flashy gestures to divert the eye.

As always, feedback would be wonderful! My usual disclaimer - a lot of color/detail is lost in the conversion to .gif, but you can click on the two cards that are complete to see the "real" versions (not the magician yet).

http://www.deckofthedreamers.com/

rwcarter

Gotta let that one marinate overnight. I think you nailed what you were going for. Just not sure how I feel about the image....

Alta

I like your new Magician. I have often thought that The Magician would have a touch of 'divine madness' and find myself drawn to decks where that comes through more clearly. To do what The Magician does implies a little more force of will than the rather passive version on some decks.

EthanJamesPetty

rwcarter said:
Gotta let that one marinate overnight. I think you nailed what you were going for. Just not sure how I feel about the image....

Which element is causing your hesitation?

Alta said:
I like your new Magician. I have often thought that The Magician would have a touch of 'divine madness' and find myself drawn to decks where that comes through more clearly. To do what The Magician does implies a little more force of will than the rather passive version on some decks.

Somebody at work called him a mad scientist moments before I read your post! I think we're on the same page for this card. In every design I've done for him so far, he's been over-the-top (at least compared to Rider-Waite). I think I may end up looking like him by the time I finish this thing.