Don't want to work by donation?

NateSean

The thing with donations is that it only works if everyone donates. Wherein the case of where I live if I don't start finding ways to charge for readings this won't be a very profitable move for me.

I can't help anyone if I'm homeless and charging a modest amount for readings in Burlington when I do so many free readings online I figure the karmic ledger has been balanced just a tad.

And here in Burlington, for that matter, a resturaunt would never be able to stay afloat doing a donations thing. However...before anyone accuses me of being negative, there is a soup shop that just opened up called Cheese and Crust'Superstar and they donate bowls of soup to hungry people.

When I'm able to afford my own space, I want to do something similar. Since the idea is I want to attract more customers, I figure what better way to do that then by offering coffee and tea at 50 cents a cup? Who sells coffee for fifty cents a cup?

How it would work is, if you show up for a reading you get one free cup of coffee or tea, including the fixings like sugar, milk, cream, etc. Every cup after that is fifty cents.

It's fifty cents if you get a cup of tea or coffee without a reading. And for every ten cups I sell I pour one cup of water into another coffee machine and that water goes to a free cup of coffee for the food shelves and emergency shelters in my area.

This way I'm still able to make a profit from my readings and give something back to the community.

celticnoodle

there is nothing wrong with charging for your readings-nothing at all! and, Church St. in Burlington does get alot of people walking through there, so that is a great place to have your business. for my daughters first tarot reading, (before I began to read tarot) I took her to Burlington's church street, and a young lady who was going to the college there gave us both a great reading there while sitting in the grass at the end of church street--in the yard of a church. :)

you should (and you probably do) advertise your readings on bulletin boards through out the Burlington VT area--but have you also tried to read at restaurants or pubs in the area? a great way to become known as a tarot card reader. also, I do recall a tarot shop up in the area of church street- just around the corner actually. they use to have tarot card readers there available, are they still there? have you ever worked there? you could probably also set up a table and such right there on church street offering your readings! that is the beauty of church street--many vendors offering their goods for monetary donations or sale there.

at any rate, whatever you decide to do, I wish you luck. And, maybe the next time I come to VT, I'll look you up for a reading! :D in the meantime, let me know when/if you are open for business, and I'll get in touch with my friends who still live there in the area--telling them to check you out, Nate! good luck!

Nevada

Coming back to this thread after trying this on my blog -- doing readings for donations. I'm afraid that online it doesn't work. I found that more than half of the people I did readings for never paid.

I was hoping I could supplement my retirement doing this, but it's just not working out, and I have limited energy to give away -- I'd rather give it to my family than to strangers.

Now there are types of work I'd be willing to do on a volunteer basis, because I feel that they're necessary. But I put a lot of energy into my readings, and when I do that and don't get anything in return, well let's just say there are a lot of other things I need to spend my energy on.

Maybe this means I'm not that good a reader. Maybe it means that when people aren't face-to-face with the reader they feel anonymous enough to just take the reading and walk away.

Anyway, online rather than face-to-face, this doesn't work for me. So now I'll be changing my reading offer (if I continue -- there were reasons I did this for donations only, and those reasons still exist), I'll be charging set fees in the future.

Just thought I'd share this for anyone who's considering reading for donations online. It's very different, I suppose, than a situation where the reader and sitter look each other in the eye.

Valentina Burton

Donation versus Charging

In my experience, the reading-for-donation thing makes people nervous, as they need some clue about what would be acceptable. (Most folks don't get tarot read regularly, and have NO idea about average cost)

I did donation-style the first six months I was in my Hotel venue, and it was frustrating...the clients who drove up in the Bentley and spent $2000. at the bar would toss me $5.00 for a 45-minute reading, saying it was the best reading they'd ever experienced! (Really...I'm not making this up!)

I finally decided that Tarot deserved more respect...I made my decisions about how to present readings about something greater than myself, it's not about me or what I want, but about how I want non-tarot people to view Tarot. I want them to cherish it and see it as incredibly beautiful, magical, and valuable.
Now, I always charge, and charge pretty well. If people want a reading, they will find a way to afford it. (I'm not outrageously expensive, Hotel readings are $30. and office hour sessions are $100.)

I have a waiting list for sessions both at my office and every night at the Hotel, so standing up for the VALUE and RESPECT due Tarot sure hasn't hurt my business; it has actually vastly improved it.

This is just my experience, and is not meant to be critical (at ALL) of anyone else's choices...my point is that thinking about how you are compensated for your expertise and time can be viewed another way.

Much Love to you all,
Valentina

Nevada

Valentina, I see your point about showing others that I'm serious. I'm going to give this more thought. I haven't given up on reading professionally yet -- though I have temporarily closed down my reading offer.

Thanks for your input. :) OMG on the Bentley person's $5!!! But I'd be happy to get $5 from someone if it meant they were only confused about how much to donate and weren't just looking for a free reading.

We'll see. I don't mind someone who's really strapped for money not paying much. I'm in that position myself. But I figure if someone can get online at all they can afford $5.

Part of the problem is my fault. I like to do in-depth readings and often spend more time than I should.

I'm thinking now of charging $10 per card -- then, once someone has chosen how many cards and paid what they can afford, that gives me a limit to my reading time and investment of energy as well.

Debra

We went to a restaurant in Budapest, French-owned, that used the donation system, at the time a new thing.

Frankly it was a pain in the butt. From the beginning we were wondering "what will this meal be worth?" and we were treating a young woman we met at a museum who looked anxiously at the menu and tried to order what might be "cheapest" without any guidance about it. At the end of the meal, the owner and chef came to sit at our table for a very long discussion of the "pay what is fair" policy. What I remember about the meal is nothing about the food or atmosphere or discussion, just the looming question of fair assessment of the value of the meal.

I see that some people I read for feel awkward about payment at the end of the reading (fingering money in their pockets).

So I wonder if there's a more gracious way to accomplish the same end.

Sheri

I am not dissing anyone who chooses to read by donation... do whatever works for you. :D I know of a few restaurants that have worked by this method for several years... but I also know of a few coffee clubs at places where I have worked that have failed because when given the choice to donate or not, they didn't. I don't think either are really comparable to what we do. Just my opinion. :D

I personally have a problem with paying by things by donation unless they are going for charity, because for me, donations are something you give to charitable organizations and write off on taxes. The only time I work for donations is when I am reading at a venue for free (one of the ways I advertise and reach out to educate the general public about Tarot and card reading) and I always list the organization that the donations are going to (I also keep the thank you letters from the orgs to show people if they question whether or not the donations are actually going to the org.

I am also uncomfortable with not knowing what I might make a day or night even when busy, as I am sure that you will have times that people are overly generous... but then there is the potential for the other and not make any money because no one paid. I also don't want to deal with any "fundies" or others that would take the opportunity to harass without spending any money--you want to spend the next 15 minutes lecturing me, fine, but you are going to fork over $20 to do it. :D

:love: Sheri

Nevada

I don't have trouble paying a donation instead of set fee on principle. That whole tax-exemption nonsense is, IMO, overdone in the US. There are organizations that are tax-exempt that shouldn't be, I think, and individuals who aren't but should be, some very generous, giving people who are just a blessing to have around, for everyone they encounter. No system is perfect, though.

We used to eat at the Hare Krishna temple sometimes when we were younger. Delicious food -- and I think that was before they started charging a set low fee. I think now it's about $4, which is an incredibly low price in these parts for a delicious meal. I never worried about what it might be worth, though. I don't see how anyone could who has ever eaten out anywhere, or for that matter cooked a meal. We paid what we could afford and thought the meal was worth. I think at our poorest we always paid at least $5, and that was more than 20 years ago. We were also careful to take only what we would eat.

The problem with Tarot readings for donations is, I suppose, that not everyone has had a Tarot reading before. If not, one wouldn't have as good an idea of what it's worth. It's not something everyone has done, like eating out.

But I think the real problem doing it online was the anonymity of the Internet. I have trouble believing someone would sit down at a reader's table, get a reading, and not pay anything. Does that happen? How often?

Valentina Burton

reply to Nevada

Nevada said:
But I figure if someone can get online at all they can afford $5.
Yes, these people are probably willingly paying over $60. every month for cable television, plus internet service, etc...perspective is important.
I raised my rates for parties when I realized the clients were paying TEN times my fee for the stupid shrimps on the buffet...

Part of the problem is my fault. I like to do in-depth readings and often spend more time than I should.
Yes, and this is GREAT!!! (Those in-depth readings, I mean) Charge a per-reading fee, and then take all of the time you want in every reading!
I've started doing that in my office sessions; I schedule an hour of open time between every hour appointment so if we go over by 15 or 20 minutes, no sweat. I figure it's MY business, so I get to create it any way I wish.
My clients love it because they get so much out of the sessions, and I love it because I'm not glancing anxiously at the clock the entire session.

I'm charging enough to make this work for everyone, and I get to do tarot sessions my way, which feels GREAT! I'm terribly afraid of burnout, so part of this has to do with trying to be pro-active about that; I really don't want more than three clients a day.

I don't think doing yummy, long, in-depth readings is a problem! I think it's something you should feature! Just charge enough for it so that people value and cherish it.

I think you are probably an excellent Reader who just needs to find your niche.

With Much Love,
Valentina

Valentina Burton

Do folks ever not pay?

Nevada said:
But I think the real problem doing it online was the anonymity of the Internet. I have trouble believing someone would sit down at a reader's table, get a reading, and not pay anything. Does that happen? How often?

YES, it happens! If you are in a Venue, folks will assume you are paid by the management; if you are in some sort of festive place, they will think you are part of the Paid Entertainment. When I was Donation-Only I had a lovely little Sign-Up Book prominently displayed with a note on the page about how I was NOT compensated by the Hotel, and appreciated any gratuity...you would NOT believe the number of rascals (that's actually not the word I wanted to use) who would blithely pretend they never saw that ENORMOUS note on the top of the sign-in page! Now, I have only ever done this in high-end venues; but you really would expect people who are paying $30. for a glass of wine and wearing $700. sandals to NOT be so cheap...

Even after I began charging, there were dodgy people who would say they were going to the ATM or front desk for cash, and would disappear.
That's the main reason I work with an assistant...they deal with that and peel the drunks off my table.

Blessings,
Valentina