Don't want to work by donation?

Grizabella

In my experience, the reading-for-donation thing makes people nervous, as they need some clue about what would be acceptable. (Most folks don't get tarot read regularly, and have NO idea about average cost)

I did donation-style the first six months I was in my Hotel venue, and it was frustrating...the clients who drove up in the Bentley and spent $2000. at the bar would toss me $5.00 for a 45-minute reading, saying it was the best reading they'd ever experienced! (Really...I'm not making this up!)

I finally decided that Tarot deserved more respect...I made my decisions about how to present readings about something greater than myself, it's not about me or what I want, but about how I want non-tarot people to view Tarot. I want them to cherish it and see it as incredibly beautiful, magical, and valuable.
Now, I always charge, and charge pretty well. If people want a reading, they will find a way to afford it. (I'm not outrageously expensive, Hotel readings are $30. and office hour sessions are $100.)

I have a waiting list for sessions both at my office and every night at the Hotel, so standing up for the VALUE and RESPECT due Tarot sure hasn't hurt my business; it has actually vastly improved it.

This is just my experience, and is not meant to be critical (at ALL) of anyone else's choices...my point is that thinking about how you are compensated for your expertise and time can be viewed another way.

Much Love to you all,
Valentina

Well, when you chose that area of town to read in, they probably viewed you on about the same level they'd consider a blind beggar. That's just not the part of town to be doing it in.

Mallah

I've actually found it very useful to have a way to collect plaudits. For years I did performances in the public schools. 300 kids a pop. The shows were done in the gym, and the kids sat "criss cross applesauce" on the floor, and there were chairs for the teachers that marked the end of the row. On each chair there would be a feedback form for the teacher to fill out during the show. As the kids left the gym at the end, I'd be there at the door to "high five" them, and collect those pesky little feedback forms!

Have lots of good plaudits is a very, very good idea. Especially at first! It's even worth working for plaudits...."I'll do a reading for you if you would give me some positive comments in writing...that is if you liked your reading...if not, some constructive criticism..." Or... after the fact... "oh that's okay if you can't contribute...would you mind filling out a comment card?" Have them printed up. Don't ask for Names...or ask for initials and home town...or first name and home town. or First name and occupation. Have a little quarter sheet they can quick fill out...have a blank at the bottom...and "prompts..."

I find it best to prompt people when writing plaudits..."Think of the little quotes you see on the back of paperbacks".... "Exclamation! Points! Are very helpful, too!" (Makes the quote sparkle)....AND DON"T FORGET THIS...PUT IT ON THE FORM..."May I use your comments in future publicity materials? (Check the box)

Get it?

nisaba

I would dearly love to work by direct barter, by BarterCard and by LETS shells (the local non-cash currency), but around here, not enough people accept or offer them. <sigh>.

Baroli

In my experience, the reading-for-donation thing makes people nervous, as they need some clue about what would be acceptable. (Most folks don't get tarot read regularly, and have NO idea about average cost)

I did donation-style the first six months I was in my Hotel venue, and it was frustrating...the clients who drove up in the Bentley and spent $2000. at the bar would toss me $5.00 for a 45-minute reading, saying it was the best reading they'd ever experienced! (Really...I'm not making this up!)

I finally decided that Tarot deserved more respect...I made my decisions about how to present readings about something greater than myself, it's not about me or what I want, but about how I want non-tarot people to view Tarot. I want them to cherish it and see it as incredibly beautiful, magical, and valuable.
Now, I always charge, and charge pretty well. If people want a reading, they will find a way to afford it. (I'm not outrageously expensive, Hotel readings are $30. and office hour sessions are $100.)

I have a waiting list for sessions both at my office and every night at the Hotel, so standing up for the VALUE and RESPECT due Tarot sure hasn't hurt my business; it has actually vastly improved it.

This is just my experience, and is not meant to be critical (at ALL) of anyone else's choices...my point is that thinking about how you are compensated for your expertise and time can be viewed another way.

Much Love to you all,
Valentina [\QUOTE]

Well, when you chose that area of town to read in, they probably viewed you on about the same level they'd consider a blind beggar. That's just not the part of town to be doing it in.

This so-called "blind beggar" makes a full-time living in "that sort of area" ie the rich and wealthy of the Metroplex area of Texas and is highly well thought of and well respected. Before you go and condemn someone for their choice of where they practice,....perhaps you should pause and take the time to look that person up on either her website or look her up on Google. Valentina Burton is highly respected in the "Real World" tarot community. This is what she does for a living, fulltime and makes a respectible amount of money. She's very good at what she does and is coming out with a book soon on the business aspect of reading Tarot. I do believe she and her business partner have offices in an area that's close to the financial district. You can also find her on facebook.

Grizabella

Baroli, I wasn't "condemning" anyone for anything. Don't you know me better than that after seeing me around here all this time? I just suggested that maybe this wasn't the right area to work by donation because they may have just considered it on the same level they'd consider a blind beggar. I was saying something about them, not about her.

Since I need to elaborate on what I meant by that, they may have just dismissed her in the same way they might have dismissed someone who who sits on the street and puts a hat out.

Before anyone jumps on me for saying anything about those who sit on the street putting a hat out----I'd probably be the one with the hat. Nothing at all wrong with it. Just saying that maybe you should pick where the hat might be the best received.

Congratulations to Valentina for her success in other areas. Not an insulting thing about her was meant by what I said.

astroandtarot

i just had a lady came to my home for reading , the reading went for one hour and she asked me to extend my reading . she said she was willing to pay extra .
3 hours went by. i told her i charge $ 40 per hour ,she said she had to run to cash out extra money from ATM . i told her lets do $ 80 total for the 3 hours reading. She said she would give me $100 for all this time and help.
i guess i was too trusting . She never came back. I felt really tired after three hour reading and sad for what happened. If a person cannot pay, they could have said it . I am sure all readers would be willing to accept any amount?

Mallah

Hooboy...what a tragedy....more for her than you, tho; it's HER karma...

if someone's about to walk away, saying they'll come back with money, pull one more card, don't show it, say it's the final summary "upshot of the whole thing"...or the "if you only knew..." card. Say you'll turn it when they get back with your cash. I like the "if you only knew" option. It's sort of like a fishhook....and you are baiting it with mystery...

Jes

I really like the idea of reading for a donation.
I'm not comfortable asking for money for readings, but i think I would be more comfortable if I had a donations jar or something... Then its the person's choice.
I'm all about choice. lol