Hearing Voices/Sounds

Sophie-David

RedMaple said:
Another type of sound that I've picked up on a few times if animal speech. I've had the distinct impression of listening in on the conversations of birds a few times. It was very clear that it was a language, but it was as if I was listening to it from another room, or in a restaurant where people are speaking unfamiliar languages, yet you know it is speech.

Wish I could understand it. This has happened a few times, and I feel i'm right on the verge of understanding. Presque-vu -- almost seen.
It makes one wonder if some people do understand animal speech. Was that one of the things St. Francis of Assisi was able to do?

Simone

Sophie-David said:
It makes one wonder if some people do understand animal speech.

Is this my prompt? :joke::laugh:

While I do not understand animal speach in the terms of "words", I often enough understand animal intention, I suppose partly through body language, partly through intuition...

I say "intuition" because body language sometimes hides a deeper emotion in animals too. I am not saying they "lie", but just as us humans, a fear can be masked by an aggressive behaviour, an unexpected attack could be a reaction to pain. My experience is mostly with domestic animals though, and these are animals who have grown up used to communicating with their human caretakers.

Just as an example, I went to the supermarket once, and when I came back out, there was a dog attached to a lamp-post, I guess waiting for his human to come back out. He was wearing one of those cruel things around his muzzle to prevent him from biting (don't know what they are called in English), which showed that his humans do not trust him. He looked at me, and it was somehow very clear to me that he would have loved to be social, sniff me, lick my hand, but alas, impossible, and it was such a sad vibe I got from that dog.... Then suddenly, I noticed a very slight shift in energy - barely noticeable but enough for me to turn around to see what was up - and just behind me was standing a huge black, scragged dog, apparently a stray but not quite, I interpreted he belonged to one of our street people, but there was no one of them to be seen. The thing is, he blocked the sidewalk (he was so big!!) and I was caught between two frightened dogs.... the big one was frightened too, and very, very lonely, it was the info I got immediately. In the meantime, people had arrived but could not pass, they kept a distance because they were frightened too.

I decided I had to do something, reached out mentally to the big dog, he *heard* me and came to me, pressing himself against my legs and freeing the way.... So I guess my communication does not just go one way :D I got a comment from a man, he said I was very curageous, but I told him that dog just had had this body language because it was insecure...

But I think animal speech between them and us, as well as interspecies, is conveyed by intention, and my experience is that they do understand mine too :laugh:

Now my interpretation of what St.Francis of Assisi did is that he had such a calm loving energy that the animals instinctively trusted him...

Sorry for the ramble a little bit off subject...

Love
Simone

zorya

hi everybody :)

this thread is spawning off some great new topics! maybe some of you would like to start new threads to discuss them.

bright blessings,
zorya

blackroseivy

Hearing Voices?!

Uh-oh, I have to take medication for that!!

Skydancer

Just one more post before this thread splits into side streets ~ !!

Wanted to say 1) I liked this observation too:

I wonder a lot about whether the information which is gotten from divination is a manifestation from a higher power, or if it comes from ourselves, or if it comes from the ways we are all interconnected, or all or the above or something else.
because my thought, when reading it, was " Ahhh ... yeah; that about covers it." My questions exactly. And I don't think we'll ever be able to figure out the one right answer. (okay, because there isn't one ...!) (or rather, there is one and there are lots of books at Amazon to prove it)

and 2) Simone, you weren't rambling at all; your experience was fascinating to read. Guess animal communication could be one of the "side streets" ??

*S*

Simone

I just started the side-road and invite those interested in animal communication over to this thread :D

stella01904

Sophie-David said:
Stella and Dreamer, I haven't seen much of a connection between this thread and divination, right from the start :)
David
MM ~ Firstly, I want to thank you for the link to "The Woodcutter's Horse". I heard Huston Smith tell a truncated version of it on PBS years back and I've been kind of looking for it ever since. Thanks! It's a great story. Now, as far as the connection you are talking about, I think in some ways it depends on your reading style, and your personal definition of "divination". I tend to go with the Raven Grimassi definition of divination as discerning the patterns forming in the astral. They can still be changed, mind you! But I definitely see it as tapping into the Otherworld. So for me, clairaudience is very much linked with it. Non-physical beings can "see further" than we can. A lot of people actually work with guides, and the old Scot and Irish diviners always had some gift from the fey, like Biddy Early's Glass bottle, or Kenneth MacKenzie's stone. Much of my success depends on my relationship with non-physical beings. ~~~~~~~~~On the other end of the spectrum, you have what I call the "Ralph Blum Book of Runes" style, i.e., "Oracles don't predict the future, they can only advise". These readings usually sound like counseling sessions with lots of talk about how this or that makes the person being read feel. So clairaudience may not have anything to do with this reading style. But it has everything to do with mine! BB, Stella

Sophie-David

stella01904 said:
MM ~ Firstly, I want to thank you for the link to "The Woodcutter's Horse". I heard Huston Smith tell a truncated version of it on PBS years back and I've been kind of looking for it ever since. Thanks! It's a great story.
Hi Stella

You're welcome. The Woodcutter story is appearing at a lot of Christian sites since Max Lucado picked it up from a story teller in Brazil. But I would like to know where the story originated since when my creativity teacher told it, she placed it in the Middle East. I haven't been able to trace the story any further on the Internet as yet - partly because the title often changes.

stella01904 said:
Now, as far as the connection you are talking about, I think in some ways it depends on your reading style, and your personal definition of "divination". I tend to go with the Raven Grimassi definition of divination as discerning the patterns forming in the astral. They can still be changed, mind you! But I definitely see it as tapping into the Otherworld. So for me, clairaudience is very much linked with it. Non-physical beings can "see further" than we can. A lot of people actually work with guides, and the old Scot and Irish diviners always had some gift from the fey, like Biddy Early's Glass bottle, or Kenneth MacKenzie's stone. Much of my success depends on my relationship with non-physical beings.
Now we're looking further into Dreamer's fascinating question:
The Dreamer said:
I wonder a lot about whether the information which is gotten from divination is a manifestation from a higher power, or if it comes from ourselves, or if it comes from the ways we are all interconnected, or all or the above or something else.
for which my evasive answer is "all of the above". I think I can relate to what you're saying Stella, but I think I may look at it a bit differently. I'm not suggesting there's a correct answer here, I'm just relating how I happen to see it at this moment.

I see reality as a continuous spectrum which includes the so-called objective perceptions, various other types of consciousness such as trance and dreams, the spiritual, the divine, and the psychic phenonema such as clairaudience. The very act of trying to differentiate each of these so that I can add them back together again is in itself a distortion, but we are limited here by our words.

From within this all inclusive spectrum of reality, we may penetrate the illusion of time and the eternal self tunes into that which lies beyond it all. Thus our true or vital selves stand outside of time and all things are known to them. At this level, the apparently mundane and the apparently astral are one and the same. So we may divine the universe from a brick, we may divine the universe from a guide, or we may divine the universe from an unseen chorus of Fidelio in the bathroom, but they all share the same essence. The mundane and the esoteric are one.

Going down a few notches, I try not to think of disembodied music or voices as any more or less divinatory than a Honda Civic or a pack of Tarot cards. I may find it easier to relate to one or the other in a more open minded way which will stimulate a more inclusive and holistic perception - i.e. a divination, meaning a revelation of the divine - but that is a reflection of my limited world view, the conditioning of our most popular consensual reality.

I was inclined to think of this thread as belonging in Spirituality, but after further consideration and input from Zorya, I would agree that it is just as valid here.

True Blessings
David

Sophie

Sophie-David said:
Helvetica, I'm just curious if you told family members or friends about these type of events at the time? I learned pretty young not to do so.

From this thread and the older one, there seems to be quite a few people on the forum who have these type of gifts. I suppose it goes with the territory. :)

I told my sister. She is very intuitive and younger than me, so accepted it as read. She's always taken it seriously. My mother knows, she felt it - but I don't really discuss it with her - I don't hide it, but I don't bring up the subject, and actually, I don't think about it myself all the time! Sometimes I wonder if I should learn more about it.

Actually, I don't really "discuss" it with anyone, but not because I don't trust them - mainly because discussions like these tend to turn into "my great aunt Sally saw a ghost once" - a form of psychic gossip, really.

stella01904

Sophie-David said:
Max Lucado[/url] picked it up from a story teller in Brazil. But I would like to know where the story originated since when my creativity teacher told it, she placed it in the Middle East. I haven't been able to trace the story any further on the Internet as yet - partly because the title often changes.
MM ~ Huston Smith said it was Chinese. It does have a very Chinese flavor. When he told it, the man always said "Who's to say what's good or bad." Very Tao flavor. The part at the end that says "Nobody knows what's going to happen but God" sounds like a later Christian addition. (Watch out that they don't use it to tell you not to read cards! ;) ) Smith didn't include that part. I don't have a title for the story, either. Hence, I've never heen able to trace it.
From within this all inclusive spectrum of reality, we may penetrate the illusion of time and the eternal self tunes into that which lies beyond it all. Thus our true or vital selves stand outside of time and all things are known to them.
So you are seeing it as your higher self tapping into the answers, and I am seeing it as spirits tapping in and giving them to me. So there is some point of convergence where the illusion of separateness falls away and "higher self" and "spirits" become one. We are just touching different parts of the elephant, I think.
At this level, the apparently mundane and the apparently astral are one and the same. So we may divine the universe from a brick, we may divine the universe from a guide, or we may divine the universe from an unseen chorus of Fidelio in the bathroom, but they all share the same essence. The mundane and the esoteric are one.

Going down a few notches, I try not to think of disembodied music or voices as any more or less divinatory than a Honda Civic or a pack of Tarot cards.
That's what the Tibetans say, that there is wisdom in everything, if you are perceptive enough, you can look at anything and divine something, see it as a manifestation of wisdom. Even a Honda Civic. Though I have a long way to go to get to that point. BB, Stella