How do I discover my career?

Mystic Chris

Sorry for the late response

Hello Minderwiz!

Thank you for taking the time to look at my chart and help me figure out what would be a good career for me. My comments follow your paragraphs in a different color.

Minderwiz said:
Your element balance is strong in Air and Fire but weak in Earth and Water (though the latter is supplemented by the Scorpio Ascendant). You are good at action and relationships, getting things going and asserting yourself and you have the ability to think things through. However you are not particularly practical and therefore your ideas and drive may lose touch with reality if you’re not careful. You are definitely an outgoing person, not only through the dominance of Fire and Air but also through all but the Moon and Neptune being above the horizon (and the Moon prefers to be below the horizon anyway).

Yes, I am strong in Air, just by observing my personality, but I also think I am very much water. Earth is definitely my weakest element, but thanks to all the Earth people in my life who push me to be my best, I think I'll be okay. (My mother and brother are Taurus and Capricorn Sun signs respectively.)

You have a good blend of the quaruplicities, so you can not only initiate but also adapt, whilst having the staying power to see things through.

Very true. I like to walk my talk and encourage people to do the same.

Your Sun and first House Moon are sextile – a good blend of feelings, emotions, will and creativity but your Ascendant doesn’t fit so well into this blend – How you project yourself is not altogether in line with what’s going on inside. Your Sun also is applying to a conjunction with Pluto – this implies some hidden depths to your creativity and possibly the ability to transform yourself by sheer will power or through giving rein to your creativity. Pluto however is often a very mixed blessing and is best treated with extreme care. Your Moon is applying to the sextile with the Sun and will then move on to conjunct Neptune. In traditional terms the Moon will translate the light of creativity from your Sun, to your first House Neptune, your dreams, and your spiritual aspirations. This is where you get your strong interest in the mystical.

Interesting points you make. I am glad that Scorpio is my ascendant so that it does not reveal me entirely. I was told by another who's into astrology that my Sag Moon in the first makes me an open book such that my feelings are easily expressed facially and verbally. I am very aware of this power Sun conjunct Pluto provides, and you are correct to say I should handle it with care. Pluto is transiting my first house, and I am currently going through major transformation, trying to understand my dark side so I can love myself fully.

About my Sun's creativity being translated through Neptune, I am not sure. I have not looked seriously into the applying and separating influences of aspects. I did not know that a planet can act as a link for two other planets. (It's always great to learn new things.) Also, I always thought that my interest in the occult sciences was attributed to Venus conjunct Uranus in my 12th house.

You were born when Mercury was the Planetary Hour Lord – and Mercury is in its own sign of Virgo, where it also has exaltation and in a degree where it also has dignity by Face. Mercury is the most powerful planet in your chart. In the tenth House it is Angular and therefore gains more dignity, but it is retrograde. Whilst the latter takes away some dignity, Mercury is still way in front of the rest. Your task is to overcome the retrograde (and therefore inward looking) nature of Mercury and make it work for you in a career. This is not quite as difficult as it seems because Mercury also sextiles your Ascendant – you and Mercury should get on well together and Mercury will have a substantial influence on your career path, if you can get him to work for you. Mercury also trines your Part of Fortune – so it is important for success in life.

I'm surprised you say that Mercury is my strongest planet. It makes sense with Mercury in its own sign. I figured Libra and Scorpio are my strongest signs because they have the most planets in them. Therefore, Venus and Pluto, which are also in sign reception, would be my most important planets. Although the Virgo traits shine through my character, Libra and Scorpio traits are way more pervasive. But good to know that I have Mercury to help me out in my career.

The tenth House ruler is your Sun in the eleventh. Unfortunately the Sun is in Fall in Libra, so what creativity you have may be difficult to channel into a career without much effort. Mercury in the tenth also rules the eleventh, so these two Houses should be strongly linked. The eleventh is usually associated with friends, politics, associations and hopes and aspirations. So you could have a career in any of these areas, especially where Mercurial skills are required – writing, communicating, analysing, speech writing for politicians, etc. Traditionally the eleventh was the House of the King’s ministers – associated with the Treasury and Public Service. So you might also have considered a career as a public servant, using those Mercurial skills as an accountant. I suspect that your Libran Sun would not be too happy being an Accountant unless it was for an association or political organisation which brought you friendship and an ability to harmonise with the world.

Interesting.

Looking at income from employment, your second House is ruled by Jupiter. With Sagittarius on the cusp you would hope that this is a sign of money ‘growing’ and you getting better off. Jupiter unfortunately is retrograde and in the Gemini, the sign of its detriment. It is angular though and in the seventh House may indicate money coming from partnerships, perhaps unconnected with your employment. It also trines your Sun, so this would bring some good luck to your creative expression (though I fear not an awful lot of luck given its debility).

Security is not strongly stressed in your chart. Apart from Mercury all the other personal planets plus Jupiter and Saturn are not strong. Your ninth House of long journeys is ruled by the Moon, which may suggest much travel, possible in phases of a lot of travel and then some stability. If so this can make a career difficult – unless you are working for the government, which comes back to the role of Mercury again.

Previous two paragraphs are a bummer. Good to know.

I suspect that you would just love to use that translated light from Sun to Neptune to make a career in the mystical side of life. The opportunity is there, as long as you don’t let the self-deluding side of Neptune take control. Neptune also trines your Part of Fortune ruler, Saturn and Saturn is in your ninth House of travel (both physical and spiritual) and your Part of Fortune is in your second, of resources and money. The opportunity is there, but if you take it, you are shifting focus from the strong Mercury to a series of weak (including Saturn) planets, so success is by no means guaranteed. Saturn being the planet of limitation and in its detriment, suggests that the ‘Fortune’ may not be wonderful – but then (back to Neptune) we can only dream.

Well, it's all good to know.

Edited to add:

I've just been reading Christian Astrology by William Lilly in relation to careers.

Two things of note, one of which I had considered but not taken up. The Ascendant ruler is in Libra and the ruler of the tenth is in Libra. Now Mars is in detriment in Libra and the Sun in Fall, so I glossed over the Libra connection. However, as Mars is in mutual reception with Venus (in detriment in Scorpio), the Libra connection should perhaps be considered. This would suggest that you may well enjoy music or poetry and with Mercury in the tenth that might suggest you may well want to write music or poetry. The Libra planets are unfortunately weak, so I'm not sure that would be a viable career, rather than something shared between friends - Venus is in the twelfth and Libra is on the cusp of the twelfth, so this may well be something that is more private than public (in the sense of a career).

Secondly, returning to Mercury in Virgo, as well as the careers of Secretary, School teacher, Accountant, Stationer or Printer, Lilly also adds the careers of "an excellent politician, a good ASTROLOGER, and of a divining soul".

So Mercury stands you in good stead in Astrology and divination - go with Mercury :)

You might be on to something with the possible astrology route.

Thank you again for spending the time to write an excellent analysis of my chart to help me with my career choices. It's good to get a different perspective.

Regards,
Mystic Chris

dadsnook2000

Another source of info

The current edition of The Mountain Astrologer magazine has a nice review on looking at one's chart to determine career paths. The article covers much of the same advice presented in this thread by various posters. For those who either subscribe or who can find it at local newstands, this might be helpful. Dave.

Mystic Chris

Thanks for the info Dadsnook2000!

I have heard some good things about The Mountain Astrologer, but had never seen it. Is there a website I can go to?

13thFaeChylde

May I ask for a career reading?

All of the tarot readings I've done or had done for me lately are hinting something about career, but I'm stuck. Stuck in a boring job, but glad to have a job. Wanting to do something meaningful and adventurous, but scared to.

I haven't read the entire thread, so please let me know if I need to go to another one to sign up. Astrology is way over my head (pun intended)!

Mystic Chris

Career Reading

Hello 13thFaeChylde!

As you can see in previous posts in this thread, please provide your birthday, birth time, and birth location. An accurate birth time is ideal. If you do not have that, please provide your best approximate time.

Or if you have already went to http://www.astro.com, please provide a link to your birth chart.

:)

13thFaeChylde

Mystic Chris~*~

My birthday is 12/13/68 at 9:50 am in Wilson, Wilson CO, NC, USA.

Thanks!! :D

Minderwiz

Mystic Chris,

Thanks for your response to my reading and I'll try and answer some of the issues you raise.

Firstly, the Moon may well be a little more demonstrative of feelings in Sagittarius, whether you 'telegraph' these to all really depends on your own self reading - I would think that if you recognised this as an issue you would have learned to control that side - especially with a Scorpio Ascendant - I would expect some reserve from that!

On the translation of light, it's a traditional technique often used in horary readings - I brought it up here because of a book I recently read which suggested that such techniques might have validity in a natal chart. I wouldn't see Uranus and Venus as particularly related to a study of occult knowledge, even in the twelfth - sudden and secret relationships are more likely. I take Occult knowledge as more the realm of Mercury (the planet of the Alchemist and the Astrologer). Neptune I take more as representing dreams, hopes, musical skills, and at its best an ethereal spirtuality, one that perhaps does dissolve the bounderies between 'I' and the Cosmos.

I don't take signs as having any strength in themselves - though they may well be important in the sense that planetary groupings in a sign may emphasise its effect. Signs modify the way in which a planet expresses itself, either making it stronger and more powerful or weaker and less effective. A strong planet is more able to effect it's role - For example, a strong Mars will help you assert yourself effectively, a weak Mars may leave you wanting to be assertive but not being very effective at it - and lead to the more negative characteristics of Mars - shouting, picking quarrels, acting without thinking. From a Career point of view, Mercury is strong in your chart, stronger than any other planet and its in the right place - the tenth House - if you use it's strength you will achieve.

Jupiter is weakly placed, so its function in your chart of expanding your money (from a career point of view) is going to be difficult. This doesn't mean a life of poverty, more that you have to work hard to get that money. Jupiter in Sagittarius ruling the Second whilst placed in say the tenth - now that would mean the money would roll in.

I'm not sure about how much travelling you do, but lots of travel doesn't usually contribute to job security - however if you are playing a Mercury role then this might well change things.

If we assume that you don't want a Mercury career such as an Accountant or Secretary, then look for a Mercury career as an Astrologer - I still don't think it will bring you lots of money, given the comments about Jupiter but it may bring you more than the other options or at least mean you really enjoy your job :)

DeLani

If it's not too much of an imposition at this point, would you do me, too?
I'm in a total stalemate with regards to my career. From what I know about astrology, I saw a lot of "writer" in my chart, but that doesn't seem to be happening - the necessity of day-to-day living makes being able to seriously write out of the question, it seems. And the little I have been able to write hasn't sold. So, here's my info:
Born 4 Jan. 1973, 9:48am
Rogers, Ark. USA
Thank you!

Mystic Chris

Due Readings

Dear 13thFaeChylde and DeLani,

I will try to post by this Sunday. Finally the weather is getting warmer here in Chicago, where weather is so unpredictable. So when it's warm, you have to enjoy it while it lasts!

But astrology is my favorite hobby and I want to look at your charts. Take care! :)