Meditation Buddies?

celticnoodle

oh yes, I know this is true for a fact. When I had high blood pressure--VERY HIGH!!!, I told my doctor at the diagnosis that I would soon be off the medication (two of them--one a daily shot in the tummy--:eek: and me--who use to faint at the sight of a needle! :laugh:)

He told me, "No, not this time, *****" you'll be on this medication for the rest of your life, I'm afraid.

Two or three short years later--I was off the meds.

How did I do it? Exercise, diet and meditation. I think the meditation was a HUGE part of it! :)

GryffinSong

celticnoodle, that's really inspiring! I have a million reasons to get healthier, and so far I don't seem to have progressed. It will improve my blood pressure, pre-diabeties, overweight, and help prevent a cancer recurrence. I think I'm forgetting something ... but, basically, I want and need to eat healthier, walk more, and spend more time doing inner work. I think the meditating/journeying will help inspire me to do all the rest.

greatdane

Brava and Bravo to you all for wanting the effects of Meditation

And Celticnoodle, congrats on getting those effects already by being able to go off blood pressure meds! GryffinSong, I so wish you really well in your desire to be and feel healthier.

I was also reading about the flip side, ways to be more alert in the morning and I realized that I was doing something at night that didn't HELP after I meditated. I was playing chess against my computer, so instead of relaxing more from the meditation, my brain was going into high gear. I now play chess when I first get up and it kind of jumpstarts my brain!

I think meditation is great anytime, but what one follows up with it can make a big difference right before bedtime!

celticnoodle

thank you, greatdane and Gryffinsong--it just goes to show you that you can do it--even when the doctors tell you that you'll never get off medicaitons or whatever. don't ever give up hope. I didn't expect the meditation to it--and it didn't do it alone--but I'm also not a nazi about my exercise, meditation or diet. I still was able to get off the meds though and my bp is still in the normal range. Hopefully, it'll stay that way.

I didn't get to meditate yet today. I may not today either. Its not been an easy or good day. No water again this morning. However, it is now running again--hopefully it will stay this way. The well man says he thinks its our ground is so frozen--but he agrees that drilling the well deeper may help with that. So, now we are having to have our well dug deeper. perhaps only another 10-15 feet. anyway, its been a trying day. :laugh:

greatdane

Managed to get my 15 minutes a day in so far

On Monday, I will up it to 20 minutes. It's getting easier. After I do this for a week or so, then it feels strange NOT to do it.

greatdane

I thought some here might find interesting or helpful...

I found this on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Commit-Sit-Cu...=1391193176&sr=8-15&keywords=meditation+timer
I am not specifically recommending this book, I don't have it. I did think if you also look at what other's bought underneath it, some might find something of value.

I DO have the Insight Meditation set by Sharon Salzberg I got on Amazon, which I think is a GREAT deal for the money! I got it when I restarted meditation about six years ago.

There are a ton of books, cds, dvds for meditation on Amazon if anyone needs a little help, motivation or just enjoys reading, listening or watching something on meditation.

I have found that some of the most helpful places to meditate are some of the busiest. I can meditate in a waiting room, in a car (preferably if I'm not driving :), just about anywhere. You can hear trains all over my small town and I can meditate when they're making the most noise. For me, it's just all in my mindset.

How is everyone else doing? Do you notice any effects at all yet? Are you having trouble making the time or has it been pretty easy so far?

greatdane

Well, upped it to 20 minutes

So far, have done every day since last Monday. One day I did twice for 15 minutes. For a week, I will do 20 and see how I feel. I may up it from there or may try to do two 15-20 minute sessions. But I'm just pleased up at 20 right now. AND this meditation timer is another meditation buddy! I love how I can set it for 20 mins and 15 seconds if I want to or there's a special preparation timer, that will allow you to prepare then meditate. And I love the chime! The link is in my post before this one.

greatdane

Meditation buddies...how is everyone doing?

Anyone having trouble getting into the habit? Has it been easier than you thought? How does it feel to be meditating?