New to Runes

Runester

some runes that can be purchased, links

I just ordered thesepewter runes from mystic-caravan.com pewter yes but i felt a bond right off..company is run by a family unit, and quite dependable.
as you can see they sell stones also.
http://mystic-caravan.com/divrunes.htm

these are PRICEY! but they are gorgeous. this guy knows a thing or two about alchemy i believe and the molding is fantastic. these were my first choice but like many others shapes and that affect my castings.
http://www.oldeways.com/salespage.html

good collection of runes found here.from wood,stone and bone..i ordered the bone at one time and had to send it back because of a duplicate rune..and a missing rune..maybe just a chance fupah..good store over all for mystic supplies though.
http://www.themagickalcat.com/main.php3?primNavIndex=1&mainURL=/store/index.php3

am merely posting this for the sake of interest.i have a few others.

Angel Star

i love the runes when i am not in the mood to pull out tarot decks i grab my runes stones for a quick peak at things. They are very accurate and make me think just a little bit more on how things are going.

caridwen

Angel Star said:
i love the runes when i am not in the mood to pull out tarot decks i grab my runes stones for a quick peak at things. They are very accurate and make me think just a little bit more on how things are going.

I find I'm doing my runes less and less for personal readings because they never have anything positive to tell me...

rainwolf

the one by lisa peschel was good-very concise and to the point. It would be good for you psychic sue because you have enough metaphysical background to fill in the gaps after the main facts. There was also a site i cant remember that had all the meanings and magickal attributes...sorry. When you get a set (if you havent done so already) dont get one at Barnes and noble or something-wait for a good one. Mine is a petrified wood set, its very nice and looks classy even though i dont use runes a lot.

psychic sue

Thanks for all the tips!

Someone told me yesterday that Runes are unlucky for some people. I think I have heard this before. Is this true? If so, would consecrating them on my altar make them a more "positive" thing?

Sue

caridwen

psychic sue said:
Thanks for all the tips!

Someone told me yesterday that Runes are unlucky for some people. I think I have heard this before. Is this true? If so, would consecrating them on my altar make them a more "positive" thing?

Sue

I've never heard that. There are so many rituals around divination tools that it's best to choose what works for you.

I couldn't connect with my runes so I bloodied them.lol I have both stones and wood but my dog, bless him, chewed up a couple of the wooden ones and I much prefered them to stone. I find wood more gentle for some reason.

One thing that annoys me is the Blum blank rune. It's the spare rune in sets used for such incidents as a dog chewing them up or losing one. He decided to incorporate it into his set and wrote some books about it that became popular. So now people use a blank rune. We may as well use the blank Tarot cards we get with sets as well while we're at it;)

You may find them difficult to work with Sue, I did after working so long with Tarot. I'm still getting to grips with them and trying to work my way past simple word clues. Once I have a feeling for them I will make my own.

psychic sue

Yes Caridwen, I get the feeling they will be quite challenging for me.

But I want to push myself a little, and I feel this may help me to grow spiritually.

I think you are right about the bad luck thing. Its like people saying tarot is the work of the devil!

caridwen

psychic sue said:
Yes Caridwen, I get the feeling they will be quite challenging for me.

But I want to push myself a little, and I feel this may help me to grow spiritually.

I think you are right about the bad luck thing. Its like people saying tarot is the work of the devil!

If you're anything like me, you'll think ooh these are so simple in comparison to Tarot. Then after a while they'll hit you and you won't have a clue anymore. I think with Runes it's vital to study the rune poems and learn about Norse culture, myths and history as well. Then you have to relate it and incorporate it into your own life and what they mean to you.

I was looking at some Rune cards with pictures and thought a set may come in handy to work alongside my runes for clues or indications.

psychic sue

That sounds like a good idea.

Apparently I wont be getting mine until Wednesday (due to the easter holiday I suppose) but I wll try them out then and let you know how I feel about them. I expect I will be totally beffudled !

Angel Star

re:working the runes

I have been working with the runes for about 6 years now i started to study them along with the tarot. The book Northern Mysteries is a great companion. I consecrated mine in some salt water and/or layed them out in the sun. I find that their energy is sometimes aggressive especially when i first started to use them. Now they are a companion just like all my other tools are. It is important to work with what feels right for you.