Sexual orientation and the tarot

Demon Goddess

As for the idea that it is none of my business as a reader... I disagree... That's like telling me that the sitter's cultural background is none of my business either.

Who someone is, how they think, is very important to know for me as a reader. If I am reading for a woman or a man, their gender is relevant information to have, since I have regularly gotten different readings for gays, vs straights, vs transgenders, vs bisexuals... and not just in reference to their relationships... it is key information... Being out and gay at the age of 35 causes your thinking as a man to be completely different from that of a 35 year old straight man. Gay women don't think, behave or live like straight women, etc. Then again, black folk don't think the same as white folk.

Trust me on this, I'm an old socially conscious anti-racist fag hag hippie from way back and it reads in my cards. :)

Hooked on TdM

Thanks for sharing that DG. I don't have any experience for reading for others with alternative sexual preferences. I did however grow up with a gay uncle (who was my fav btw.. lol) Perhaps because I was very close to him I don't see it as he thought differently. To me he didn't. He was just my very fun uncle. I have friends too that I see no difference in.

Personally I would have a hard time swallowing that they think differently from me. They are human after all and have the same wants and needs as other humans and growing up with a family member I just don't see it.

You have an interesting perspective and I like that. :)

Hooked

Demon Goddess

Hooked on TdM said:
Thanks for sharing that DG. I don't have any experience for reading for others with alternative sexual preferences. I did however grow up with a gay uncle (who was my fav btw.. lol) Perhaps because I was very close to him I don't see it as he thought differently. To me he didn't. He was just my very fun uncle. I have friends too that I see no difference in.

Personally I would have a hard time swallowing that they think differently from me. They are human after all and have the same wants and needs as other humans and growing up with a family member I just don't see it.

You have an interesting perspective and I like that. :)

Hooked

I am nothing, if not "interesting" :)

GreenMoonBeam

Demon Goddess

Better to say "I am everything AND interesting". LOL.

Am I correct to say a reading is interpretation?

Demon Goddess

greenbean said:
Demon Goddess

Better to say "I am everything AND interesting". LOL.

Am I correct to say a reading is interpretation?

I live for being interesting. :)

I would probably agree that a reading is an interpretation... but then interpretations would make them more subjective than I believe the cards are. :)

Grizabella

I have a lesbian daughter, a bisexual grand-daughter (that I've raised since she was 24 hours old and she's 15 now), three gay cousins (that I know of and probably some more who haven't actually come out yet) and with that many family members out, of course, along comes a lot of gay friends and acquaintances. Maybe it's because I've always been around them, but I don't see that they're different to read for. They're people just like any other people.

But the question here is about finding out a person's sexual preference using the cards. Would you try to read the cards to find out someone's cultural identity if they weren't present? And if you did, how successful do you think you'd be? Not 100% and that means, since we're not 100% accurate about anything, reading the cards to find out a sexual preference about someone not present is really, really not something we should be doing. And I still believe it's not our business anyway.

MoonLitCrystal

The whole gay vs straight issue has come up during several readings that I've had (sorry, long and personal story I'd rather not get into here, just trust me on this one...) and believe it or not I have had readers put their personal $0.02 in. Sometimes they do it directly, sometimes they make subtle hints and comments, but it all lets me know that they are against certain issues/lifestyles. This often affects the "outcome" of the reading and their "advice" to me.

I won't be going back to them because I really don't give a rat's ass what their personal beliefs are. I pay them to read the cards, not slip their opinions in with it (or let their opinions cloud the reading).

MoonLitCrystal

On a slightly different note, I have a transgendered family member. My mom and I have both had readings where the reader has told us, "Family Member is confused." Not quite the word I would use to describe Family Member (because they know what they want), but we can't expect the readers to be 100% spot on with stuff like this. Who knows, maybe they saw the real situation but thought "Nah...can't be...." or again, they let their own beliefs get in the way: "No, this person can't possibly want to do this, they just need therapy." Either way, the readers have never really been mean or nasty about it; stating that Family Member was confused was about as far as it went.

Just a strange little aside...my 80 year old grandmother knew about Family Member before anyone told her and before there were really any definite ways of knowing. I seriously doubt that an 80 year old who grew up pretty conservatively would just "guess" this about someone. Tell me that woman doesn't have some supernatural powers! ;)

Demon Goddess

Well, I can't for the life of me figure out why someone would sit down with their cards, and ask them what the sexual orientation of someone else is... On that matter, I tend to agree, unless you're (or the one you're reading for is) the one sleeping with them, I'm the first person to say, that it's nobody's business but theirs.

I gave up seeing people in the cards as exclusively one gender or the other because I've had men come up as women and vice-versa and if my spirit guide is to be believed, then none of us actually has a gender once the body we currently live in ceases to exist and as such, whether we are straight or gay or transgendered or bisexual or whatever. The reason it is important is because the body in which we live in this life determines who we are in this life and defines how we behave and is part of what separates us from our previous and future lives...

Ultimately, I agree that it is the person that is important; maybe I go too far in caring about the details that make them who they are... I don't know, but I like to value the little differences that make each and every one of us unique.

gregory

I think the original issue is that the thread starter was concerned about being outed by someone who would seriously disapprove of gays.... and was therefore nervous about having the reading done.
And in those circumstances - leaving aside that I think a reader should not be judgemental anyway - I would say it is none of his business.... If he has hangups like that it is his responsibility NOT to consider things he will then berate a sitter for, or think less well of them about. I don't know how this could be achieved, but I know what I mean.... :confused: