Something wrong with majors only ?

karenquilter

If you think that pulling 5 cards from a 22 card deck doesn't quite work, try a 3-card spread. Or just pick one card for the day, & think on it throughout the day. Majors-only decks are useful decks.
K

missy

karenquilter said:
If you think that pulling 5 cards from a 22 card deck doesn't quite work, try a 3-card spread. Or just pick one card for the day, & think on it throughout the day. Majors-only decks are useful decks.
K

I agree that a three-card spread would be more workable for me than a 5-card.

I *did* say Majors-only decks are useful. I have just ordered the Ironwing Majors and plan to use them primarily as a working, reading deck. :)

2_Journey

I guess it never occurred to me to use just the majors. In an ideal world my tarot collection would be exclusively a working collection composed entirely of decks that I use.

I'd be interested in trying majors-only readings (with majors-only decks or with majors taken out of a larger deck), but I'm not sure how I would use them. Just for certain questions? For big questions?

Cocobird55

I have a small collection of majors only decks, and I like them very much. My favorite is probably Adam's Purro tarot, which I just love to hold and look at the pictures.

My latest was the Prairie Tarot, and I'm enjoying it. It gives good readings. If there is a 78 card version I will buy that too, but in the meantime I'll go on playing with the majors only version.

I have a great one from Italy about cinema that is a lot of fun, too. When I was more into buying decks, before I retired, I bought quite a few majors only decks from Tarot Garden, and never regretted it.

Rasa

The only majors only deck I own is the Glow-in-the-dark RWS... I received it as a birthday gift quite some time ago, and both me and the woman who gave it to me were disappointed that it was just the Major Arcana. I've never used it... but I wish I had a whole deck to read with in the dark!

I like doing large spreads with a lot of cards (I start with a 10-card spread, but often I build from there), and that just doesn't work with a deck where at least half of the cards would show up every reading.

I also really enjoy the whole system of Tarot... the structure of a deck makes good sense to me with esoteric correspondances, but also in practical ways.
I like having all the cards because it clarifies meanings for me, and because I feel like something is missing if they aren't all there.

But.... at one time, I only bought decks I knew I would get good use out of, ones that I felt would lend themselves well to my reading with them.... but over the years I've become increasingly more of a collector, and now I have acquired a few decks because I like the art, or because they're weird, or interesting in some way, or if I come across a used deck at a very cheap price. So I think my "78-card only" rule may be the next to go.
At one time, I had a "no unillustrated minors" rule, but now pip decks are my favorites. I've also started to get interessted in other types of vintage fortune-telling cards, and have done away with my strict "tarot only" rule... so it follows that at some point I'll start collecting majors only decks.

...but I have to limit myself somehow, otherwise there's just too many decks I would need to have!

gregory

I suppose perhaps I phrased the question wrong as a result of the discussion I was having by email at the time.

It should have boiled down to - why, when an artist sweats blood to create a 22 card deck, a lovely, special and deeply symbolic thing - is the response so often "Nice; I will wait for the minors". The artist may never have had any intention of creating them, so the deck never gets studied and loved - and yes, maybe even used - as it deserves....

And that seems to me to be a terrible shame and loss.

nisaba

gregory said:
It should have boiled down to - why, when an artist sweats blood to create a 22 card deck, a lovely, special and deeply symbolic thing - is the response so often "Nice; I will wait for the minors". The artist may never have had any intention of creating them, so the deck never gets studied and loved - and yes, maybe even used - as it deserves....

And that seems to me to be a terrible shame and loss.
Oh, if they're beautiful and significant enough, I will love them. I'll probably pick up one of my others for reading with, though.

yirabeth

I'm not a "real" collector yet - financial considerations prevent it. And thus far, I prefer a full deck to read with..it just seems it would cover more ground, be easier to read - this is probably due to my new'ness.

I do have a few 22-card decks in my wish list (my word document on my computer which is PAGES long, double column, not the "top ten" I list here at the site) but they're at the bottom of my list, so to speak - I'm not sure I'd ever read with one, so I can't make it a priority. The decks I have now are ones I thought I would read with. (The fact that only 3 out of 12 actually fulfilled that promise is totally beside the point!)

In the future, I may decide to try majors-only readings, but true to my needs now, it will have to be an exceptional deck, and one that the art makes me happy even if I decide I can't do the majors-only thing. Or, more likely knowing myself, I'd strip down a deck I already have and KNOW I like to read with, to see if just majors is good too.

Or, if I'm really lucky, I'll become a TRUE collector because I have the finances, and all bets are off, get outta the way I have a credit card and I'm gonna buy!! *grin*

~Yira

WolfyJames

gregory said:
I suppose perhaps I phrased the question wrong as a result of the discussion I was having by email at the time.

It's nice to see Gregory, you've got money to spare for majors only but it's not the case of everyone else here. Between wasting 70$ on a majors only and buying food, I know which one I'm picking. I always think (and pay) long-term investments and when I see an artist making majors and sell them, knowing that he/she will make minors, I prefer again investing the few money that I have in a long-term investment i.e. the full deck. Paying twice for a pricy deck is foolishness, the broke, rational, long-term investment person that I am do think do. And if the artist has no interest in making minors than too bad, it's not my problem. I don't see why I should feel slightly guilty about this.

gregory

Not so much the money; more why do people say they will wait for the minors - even when they say how much they love the majors - when it is clear there won't ever be any.... THAT's my point. (this just came up on another forum - the artost said she was making a majors deck; it was put out, and the first few posts were all "ooh, how lovely; but I'll wait for the minors." But that means the deck will just languish. Where a full deck is on the way - fair enough.)

ETA I didn't mean to make anyone feel guilty. Of course no-one has to buy any deck. But to wait for minors when the artist has said it is a majors only deck (and some are cheaper than you suggest - look at the recent Taschen Tarot (sold out I think) which as I recall was $25) seems perverse....

As an aside - I do spend too much, yes indeed :| - on the other hand I don't smoke or play golf..... most people I know do one or the other or both - and spend far more than I do !! (Oh, and I only buy new clothes when mine fall apart... anyone who has met me will tell you that often I leave it too late ! as for shoes - I HATE buying things like that.....)

It is my only vice. Just so you know. I am not filthy rich; I just have a single passion.... ;) And if it were a choice of that or food - of course food would win. I just budget so that generally I can manage !