spreadcloths-do you use one?

redflash

I just have to point out that Sulis' spread cloths & bags are lovely ! They feel "substantial", I know that sounds odd but it's the only way to describe them. I have loads of new decks ( thanks to catching the deck buying bug off gregory ! ) so I am saving up for some more !

I don't read professionally, I daren't even have a go in the newbie exchange threads ! No confidence in myself. But I do readings for myself & things like 3 card daily draw exercises & I always use a cloth. I think it helps me focus more on the cards.

Yora

Ah! Good reminder! I need to get something like that too for all my decks. I did see a beautifull big enough bag for tea (originally) somewhere for the cards!

Psyndi

It's the idea of creating a special atmospere by using a cloth that is drawing me.
Finding a fabric that puts me in the zone...that could be an interesting journey.

greycats

My decks share, mostly.

I have a few spread cloths and some altar drapes that I use for special occasions or when I'm doing a reading outside of my home. For ordinary readings at home I put a clean tablecloth on and proceed. I've made some cloths for specific decks, but mostly mine are geared to the season or the occasion.

catlin

redflash said:
I just have to point out that Sulis' spread cloths & bags are lovely ! They feel "substantial", I know that sounds odd but it's the only way to describe them.

Sulis emailed me that my baggies and cloth are all ready to mail. I will keep you posted :)

billv

Interesting thread - timely too, because I just bought one for the first time last week. I went to a fabric store and bought a really great black velvet material to make mine from.

My reasoning is that I wanted to create a very special environment for my reading. When I clear off the table in my study and lay the cloth down, it puts me in a frame of mind that what I'm doing is special, and that the space I've cleared and arranged is not part of my ordinary routine.

I also find that the black backdrop to the cards helps me focus on the cards themselves, and not my surroundings. Plus the velvet is just an awesome surface to work with the cards - smooth, soft, and perfect for spreading the cards in just about any way. I love it!!

Bill V

catlin

2 days ago I was also considering of buying a black velvet cloth, the Labyrinth tarot and lots of others look too cool on black fabric but I renounced on getting that one because black velvet is a pest when you do readings in the open air, especially in spring, because each tiny pollen will cling to it.

But black velvet is great indoors in an animal-free room, so have fun with your new spreadcloth :)

Merenwen

I use a peach color cotton square, only because it was the biggest piece of material I can find. I don't find the problem of picking up the cloth with the card, I think because it is heavy fabric.

And I agree, it is part of the ritual of Tarot. I can get away with not using it for my oracle cards, but when I tried to do a one card quick reading for me the other day, I was told that I had not connected to the spirit. Bit hard to explain, but I instictivly felt that i was being told off for trying to do a quick reading and didn't put on my candle or spread out the cloth.

The reason I started using it was that I did a lot of spreads on the vanished cork floor (very slippery) or the carpet (lots of dirt). I guess it became part of the ritual. I do plan on replacing it with something esle, but I don't know what yet. I got one with the Mythic Tarot set, but it seems unfinshed somehow.

Orlando

Table Covering

I found a truly lovely wine-coloured fabric with a pattern somewhat resembling a Celtic Cross design. I had this finished to fit a marble-top circular table upon which I do my readings. I must admit that this little bit of ritual & finery does help prepare me for the process.

Annabelle

I use a spreadcloth when reading at home because I want to protect my cards from any dirt or dust that might be on the table/floor/etc. where I am laying them out.

I use a spreadcloth when reading "live" outside my home for friends, co-workers, etc. because they seem to expect it. It's become part of the atmosphere that I try to provide, to make the "reading space" appear attractive.

Most of my spreadcloths are nothing spectacular . . . just various cotton, single-sided cloths I've bought from the sale page at Tarot Totes. The nicest one I have is one I bought from Sulis - it's double-sided (black on one side and blue on the other) and very well made :).