Tarot D (The Didactic Tarot)

rwcarter

Mine arrived today! :party: Only have time for a quick look right now, but one thing immediately jumps out - it's not the horrible cardstock from the Mary-El or the Son Tarot. Compared to those, the Didactic cardstock is heavenly. More to come when I have more time.

Rodney

Scarlet Woodland

Mine arrived today! :party: Only have time for a quick look right now, but one thing immediately jumps out - it's not the horrible cardstock from the Mary-El or the Son Tarot. Compared to those, the Didactic cardstock is heavenly. More to come when I have more time.

Rodney

Great news! I just about destroyed my corner cutter on the Mary El... poor lil thing.

desertrat

Rodney

Agreed - the cardstock is pleasant. I am looking forward to your thoughts (and others' as well) on this deck. It feels both serious and playful at the same time. Maybe that is more of a reflection of my personality than the deck's. The dinosaurs on the Three of Wands really tickled my fancy for some reason. There ought to be a Dinosaur Tarot deck.

AJ

I've had it in my Amazon cart for awhile, waiting to here about the card stock.
Hopefully Schiffer has woken up finally
Thanks for letting us know it is comparatively wonderful.

Patrick Booker

I have now got this deck. I like it's intricate imagery - reminds me a bit of the Pearls of Wisdom Tarot (Roxi Sim has in fact written a foreword to the book). There is a huge amount of detail in the imagery, and the book describes a complex system of mythology upon which the images are based. I have read the book once, but I think more attention would be required to really get into the deck:

http://littlepike.com/jeffd/jeffd.html

Patrick

agviz

Just bought this and it's on the way. Looking forward to its arrival!

Patrick Booker

Zero and One - the Famine and the Feast

There is a lot in this deck, and I think it will repay close study. One innovation is the introduction of a Zero card prior to the Aces. This represents the state before the initiative of the Ace - for Swords, the Zero is the silence before the sound, for instance. I find this conceptually interesting - I am not aware of anyone else doing it.

Patrick

agviz

You're right Patrick that there's a lot going on in this deck. It will take time to study and understand. I didn't realize that when I bought the deck, thinking it was just some crazy artwork. I don't have the time at the moment to plunge in, so it'll have to go on the shelf for a bit. Maybe as comments trickle in, it'll get me to invest the time sooner than later.

Scarlet Woodland

I got mine this week too and really excited to delve in. Going to make it my deck of the week next week.

fixedair

There is a lot in this deck, and I think it will repay close study. One innovation is the introduction of a Zero card prior to the Aces. This represents the state before the initiative of the Ace - for Swords, the Zero is the silence before the sound, for instance. I find this conceptually interesting - I am not aware of anyone else doing it.

Patrick

That's an interesting idea, but I won't say it's without precedent. According to Crowley in the Book of Thoth, the aces do not represent the elements themself but the root of their power. This corresponds to Kether on the Tree of Life, which is the unknowable. Therefore the 2s are the start of the elements, the initiatory force of Chockmah, differentiated in quality.