Tarot D (The Didactic Tarot)

Hexi

photos of Tarot D

I am working on a little review of this fabulous deck. I learned about it a long time ago when Pamela Steele and I worked on our webinar series on Tarot Deck creation through Global Spiritual Studies. Jeffery generously allowed us to use photos of his artistic process in our series. I fell in love with his art, even busier than mine!!

I had no idea about all the extra cards, but I knew it was chock-a-block with symbolism and that is one of my favourite aspects of the tarot, how we use symbolism to portray the meanings of the cards.

I just got my deck the other day and shared opening it with my Hubby and Son, both were extremely impresses and I think this deck will widen the audience of tarot into more young men. Computer games, graphic novels, games like D&D open this demographic to the tarot, and this is the cross over deck to do just that.

Jeffery is a wonderful guy who is humble and generous and extremely talented. This is a tarot deck, plus, plus, plus. Created for his Masters of Fine Arts it is original, goes beyond the subject and will be a wonderful learning experience for others.

I have started in on the book and am appreciating the story he tells through words and art work. I will share a few of my favourite card... so far. Cheers Hexi.

Attachments

• IMG_0207.jpg
    IMG_0207.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_0222.jpg
    IMG_0222.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_0212.jpg
    IMG_0212.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_0179.jpg
    IMG_0179.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_0121.jpg
    IMG_0121.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 149

agviz

Very "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds".

Scarlet Woodland

102 cards... 102 cards! aaah... where to start? Feel like I've just opened War and Peace :D

Patrick Booker

That's an interesting idea, but I won't say it's without precedent. According to Crowley in the Book of Thoth, the aces do not represent the elements themself but the root of their power. This corresponds to Kether on the Tree of Life, which is the unknowable. Therefore the 2s are the start of the elements, the initiatory force of Chockmah, differentiated in quality.

I see where you are coming from, Fixedair - the concept of the elemental root does include a source that can be seen as a Zero. But for me the extra card is the innovation.

Patrick

Patrick Booker

I am reading the book for a second time, and seeing new things. This deck will lend itself well to story-telling - a longstanding tradition among Tarot enthusiasts.

Patrick

The Happy Squirrel

OMG I just saw this [emoji15][emoji106]šŸ¼ I want.

agviz

Patrick, Hexi, and anyone else who has read the book and understands the deck; is this a major departure from traditional tarot - is it difficult to grasp?

And Happy, I think you'd better get this deck NOW!

The Happy Squirrel

Patrick, Hexi, and anyone else who has read the book and understands the deck; is this a major departure from traditional tarot - is it difficult to grasp?

How? Where?

[emoji33][emoji33][emoji33]

EDIT: Amazon!

Patrick Booker

To utilise the additional features will probably take a bit of work, but I can't see anything that would challenge someone familiar with the Tarot. There are plenty of Tarots out there nowadays that diverge from the traditional format anyway. Just my opinion, of course.

Patrick

Hexi

tarot D

I am just getting into the reading of the book and familiarizing myself with the cards. This is a deck that requires some effort to learn especially with the extra cards. I do think one could remove the extra cards, down to the basic tarot cards, and read with them right away. It is a story that is told through the cards. Even though I have seen the cards over time, I am just now going through the deck and book and learning so much about them. This was a masters thesis after all.