Themes or Styles MISSING from Decks

jcwirish

I think an art deco styled deck would be cool. I'd love something that looked like it came out of the roaring 20's. I'm thinking "Gatsby-like."

nisaba

jcwirish said:
I think an art deco styled deck would be cool. I'd love something that looked like it came out of the roaring 20's. I'm thinking "Gatsby-like."
Didn't Spare do a Tarot? It would have looked like that.

Lillie

Did he?

I hadn't heard that (let alone seen it!)

I thought he had written something on card reading, though I didn't think it was tarot.

Can you rustle up any more about this?

jcwirish

nisaba said:
Didn't Spare do a Tarot? It would have looked like that.

Gosh, I don't know Nisaba. If so, I've never seen it, but there are still probably many that I've missed along the way. I'll have to see if I can find it. Thanks. I'll have a look around.

nisaba

To the last two posters: Either Spare or Beardsley, both of whom have fantastic style.

And no I can't rustle up anything - it's based entirely on thirty-year-old memories of backyard-published-Pagan-mags that went out of publication almost as soon as they started up. I'm iggerant, though - I thought some of the Erudite Tarot Authorities -

jcwirish

nisaba said:
To the last two posters: Either Spare or Beardsley, both of whom have fantastic style.

And no I can't rustle up anything - it's based entirely on thirty-year-old memories of backyard-published-Pagan-mags that went out of publication almost as soon as they started up. I'm iggerant, though - I thought some of the Erudite Tarot Authorities -

Well, if you don't know, I surely wouldn't. lol! I did look through Spare's stuff online and didn't find any decks, only his books and illustrations in books.

Now you've got me wondering about this. :bugeyed:

jcwirish

Okay, think I found the answer. Lillie created a majors deck from Beardsley's artwork. Is that what you were referring to Nisaba? I haven't seen it, but I guess she made 30 or so copies.

Zephyros

Maybe a biblical deck. I've seen the Doré deck, but no others. Also, it has many New Testament scenes I don't really understand. A nice, old Testament deck could be really, really cool. Maybe along the lines of the technicolor visual styles of a Cecil B. DeMille movie.

nisaba

closrapexa said:
Maybe a biblical deck. I've seen the Doré deck, but no others. Also, it has many New Testament scenes I don't really understand. A nice, old Testament deck could be really, really cool. Maybe along the lines of the technicolor visual styles of a Cecil B. DeMille movie.
The Grail Tarot? Very, very biblical. And there are stacks of Christian-themed ones as well, but this one is just OTT=biblical.

shadowdancer

I know these have been mentioned before but I would go with:

Discworld deck
Disney deck based on animated films right from day 1 of Snow White.

there has to be a scene for each card for each of those themes for sure.

Davina