Themes or Styles MISSING from Decks

Wendywu

I wanna DiscWorld deck and I want it now!! But I want it drawn by actual discworld artists who do an intensive crash course in tarot symbolism :D

Also - Narnia, and a Middle Earth deck like the one in my head.

Oh, oh - a deck set in the Land, with Covenant as the Fool and the Despiser as the Devil. I'd pay rather a lot for a good deck set in the Land.

teomat

I'd like a deck for the 21st century, showing life as it is now. Cities, countryside, urban, suburban, people at work, children at school. Life in inner cities. Life of the rich and the poor. Just something that I can relate to now.

I'm so bored of decks harking back to the past. Bored of Victoriana, animals, fantasies, long-lost civilisations, literature, religions etc etc. I want something fresh and relevant to my life today. Or will I have to wait 100 years before 2010 is considered vogue for deck creators?

WyrdRaven

I am another one who is yearning for a dog deck. There is so much to draw from! The limitless energy of a Jack Russell, the courage of a German Shepherd, the goofiness of a Pug, the great heartedness of a Golden Retriever... the entire "human" spectrum can be seen in dogs' faces. I don't even care whether or not they are wearing clothes. Just bring on the dogs!

euripides

jcwirish said:
I think an art deco styled deck would be cool. I'd love something that looked like it came out of the roaring 20's. I'm thinking "Gatsby-like."

oh yes! Totally!!!!! Charles Rennie Macintosh, Art Deco, Art Nouveau....

also +1 for Narnia. You'd probably have to get permissions from the estate of C.S.Lewis but... omg what potential. And you'd have to be SO careful to get it 'right', really knowing the stories and symbolism... how cool would it be! The artwork would have to be stellar.

nisaba

Wendywu said:
I wanna DiscWorld deck and I want it now!! But I want it drawn by actual discworld artists who do an intensive crash course in tarot symbolism :D
Ah yes, Josh Kirby doing the Major Arcana with all his bizarre body-proportions, and Paul Kidby doing the Minors. Under instruction from lil old moi. In an clamshell case with a Cripple Mr Onion pack in the other half.

I look forward to perverting the rules for Canasta to take in the characteristics of Tarot and Cripple Mr Onion decks.

Wendywu

Nanny Ogg as the Empress :D. Granny Weatherwax as the HP :D. Magrat would have to be Queen of Cups, and Death could be Death!! Mustrum Ridcully as Emperor! Rincewind, dear old Rincewind could be the Fool :)

Ooooh....

Le Fanu

Pre-Raphealite, and an angular, dashing "Flapper's tarot" from the 1920s as already mentioned.. I still think there is a huge gaping hole for a gay tarot - both male & female.

Healing Spirit

I would like an art deco style deck with the genders and racial types balanced and preferably showing coins rather than pentacles.

I spend a lot of time in South Africa where it's hard enough to get acceptance for Tarot and almost impossible if the deck has pentacles as a suit.

On futuristic themes, William Gibson and the other cyber-punk authors would be a cool area to explore, as perhaps would Ian M Banks.

On the fantasy side, Piers Anthony's novels, especially the Adept trilogy and the Incarnations of Immortality series could surely offer up a deck.