Trimming the Thoth

Le Fanu

Grigori said:
I'd suggest you send those lovely historical decks to me and I'll send you a nice modern USG one to trim. Heck I'll even trim it for you. Please ignore Le Fanu, he is forbidden from deck begging in threads due to his stubborn refusal to give me his Mantegnas :laugh:
I was only thinking of your well being. By deliberately not parting with my unsilver Mantegna, I pushed you into buying the far superior Meneghello version from alida for your own benefit.

I have to go to bed now, but - really - I fear I shall not sleep while rodney is about to embark on a trimming spree.

Please, let me send you my lovely trimmed AG Muller one which is marginally - nay more richly - darker than my other Thoths. Such lovely tones.

Such jewel-like colours, projecting their geometry hither & thither, unfettered by oppressive borders...

All the joy of a trimmed Thoth and none of the aching thumbs.

Debra

Ignoring for just one moment the transparently craven motives expressed here...he's right.

Ok, back to appreciating the gimme gimme vibes :laugh:

Stormdancer

Le Fanu said:
I was only thinking of your well being. By deliberately not parting with my unsilver Mantegna, I pushed you into buying the far superior Meneghello version from alida for your own benefit.

I have to go to bed now, but - really - I fear I shall not sleep while rodney is about to embark on a trimming spree.

Please, let me send you my lovely trimmed AG Muller one which is marginally - nay more richly - darker than my other Thoths. Such lovely tones.

Such jewel-like colours, projecting their geometry hither & thither, unfettered by oppressive borders...

All the joy of a trimmed Thoth and none of the aching thumbs.
GEEZ, now I'm kinda wishing I was RW :bugeyed:

Grigori

brightcrazystar said:
I would print out copies of the card images on my printer and look at trimming them, cause at that point, I am not trimming a collector's item and I am able to make them much larger if I want to. Then you could even pack them in a pdf and make a poster of them.

To each their own, though. I am not cuttng my deck up though. I would if I felt confident to trim, get a deck and trim it, but ahhh..

I trimmed a jpeg copy of the desk once for use in some tarot software, no idea where those files have gone now sadly as the program sucked so I ended up not using them once done. I should find them again, I have a copy of the deck in jpeg on my iPhone, but it has borders. They don't bother me anymore, but the borderless would be stunning in LED I think...

rwcarter

Thanks for the input all.

Le Fanu, you can rest easy. I have not started trimming yet. Even once I make a decision, it'll prob be a few days or weeks (or months!) before I get around to actually trimming anything.

From a Thoth collector's POV, which is less important - a pristine deck without box (and therefore can't be identified) or a beat up deck with box and other identifying info? But if the gold slip case box decks don't have images of uniform size, then maybe I should trim one of my many small card size Thoths since I have so many and they are easily replaceable. I was just thinking of one of the larger decks to better see the images.

Time for me to turn in. Maybe the answer will come to me in a dream....

Rodney

Le Fanu

rwcarter said:
I was just thinking of one of the larger decks to better see the images.
Come see my images... })

The first one is my trimmed version (these are pics I did for thorhammer; we were going to trade) in all its projecting glory.

The 2nd one (and I know you'll appreciate these rodney, knowing how - like me - you love kneeling at the High Altar of Deck Comparison) show;

My trimmed Thoth between two editions of the green box/2 of Disks box AG Muller. The untrimmed one on the left is my older one which has stronger colours, the newer edition on the right is a recent green box Thoth. You cannot tell from the picture (maybe only from the blue blackground of the Magus) but the newest edition on the right is slightly paler than the others.

And the trimmed one, or the paler one could be yours. Quake at that unleashed, masterful geometry...

Attachments

• SDC10527.JPG
    SDC10527.JPG
    154 KB · Views: 306
  • SDC10525.JPG
    SDC10525.JPG
    157.3 KB · Views: 199

Debra

Nope. You rounded the corners. For purists (rwcarter is of the purist persuasion), rounded corners diminish the joy of the projective geometry game.

Le Fanu

Debra said:
Nope. You rounded the corners. For purists (rwcarter is of the purist persuasion), rounded corners diminish the joy of the projective geometry game.
grrrr. But I had to, the projections were too sharp for my delicate hands. Now would you please delete your post/edit it into something *admiring* before rodney wakes up... :p

gregory

One that I could replace. (I am cackhanded !!)

I have trimmed a medium Muller/USG one.) YOU NEED TO KEEP THE CORNERS, bad Leffy. You can't see everything of you don't. A big one would be too big to play with for this particular purpose, I thought (I did buy one specially to trim, and spent some time in the store thinking about that, as here was only $2 difference in price for some reason.)

NOT a rare one, please not - and JD is right - hers ended up VERY odd !

But - trimmed on screen - BRILLIANT idea....

Off to albideuter - he leaves out the borders ANYWAY !

jackdaw*

Good point, though, that Le Fanu made ... those poky pointy corners.

Now, you HAVE to leave the corners pointy. It defeats the whole purpose of the geometry otherwise. So if you trim a medium one, it's a good shuffling and handling size and less painful.

And if you're spreading them all out to make a massive projective geometry thingy, then it's easier with smaller cards.

BUT (and here JD plays devil's advocate), if you trim a large, then you have a big one at your disposal that lets you see all those brilliant and maddening details in all their glory, without massively cramping the hands.