Trimming the Thoth

Debra

Cut off the bottom and top first so you have less of a stretch on the long sides.

gregory

Debra said:
Cut off the bottom and top first so you have less of a stretch on the long sides.
NOW you tell me :D

Le Fanu

Oh yes, single swipe at the ends then single swipe down the sides. No hesitating. Like an expert Saudi executioner, it has to be done in one.

Buy scissors which have blades longer than your average tarot card.

RLG

Doesn't anyone use a paper cutter? I used one to trim my grandaddy 1986 Thoth and it turned out beautifully. I agree that one should cut the short sides first. I still don't have the heart to round the corners, but this deck is for meditative layouts, not shuffling and reading, so it's not a big deal.
I would avoid the oldest Thoths and the greenies, b/c the borders are not really uniform enough. But if you used a paper cutter, you could measure cuts exactly so that at least the cards would all be the same size, while leaving a wee bit of the border or losing a tad of the image.

The trouble with the large Thoths is that the 1996 printings are not sized properly, (see the non-circular planet on the Star card), but the 1986 printing (with the right proportions), has improper cropping of the images. The only way to get the correctly proportioned and properly cropped images is to use a lavender box 1996 Thoth (or Blue Box equivalent), which when trimmed will leave you a pocket size beauty :)

gregory

NO. NEVER a paper cutter. It is FAR too easy to miss. Trust me, I know this. And while with scissors you do see the oops in time that it is only a tiny nick, with a paper cutter.... :bugeyed: Not to mention when another card accidentally.... (This was when I was legitimately printing out a deck (the Myce), by the way, so I was able to print another card !)

NOOOOOOO !

Professor X

I could never trim my Thoth and dont see how people can do so.

I like all the little details of it even the key words on the bottom.

Trimming it would just ruin the deck for me.

gregory

But an extra copy - so that you can see the sacred geometry ? It's fantastic. And the only way to see that. I love the deck - sure. I couldn't have trimmed my only copy - but what you can see after you trim....

Professor X

gregory said:
But an extra copy - so that you can see the sacred geometry ? It's fantastic. And the only way to see that. I love the deck - sure. I couldn't have trimmed my only copy - but what you can see after you trim....

Sacred Geometry?

Perhaps I need to obtain a extra copy.

Stormdancer

Professor X said:
I like all the little details of it even the key words on the bottom.
I kept the bottoms because of the stuff on the majors. I'm kinda wishing I'd switched that around for the minors and kept the tops on those. I trimmed the BIG usg. It's REALLY attractive.