What Makes you Pull out a Deck?

lunalafey

I pick decks by way of the issue and feeling. I try and sense what deck is calling to be used in that moment. For me I think that it is what ever mood I may be in and what deck I can connect with for the subject being investigated.

LadyMedusa

For me deck selection depends on the issue mostly. After study and and a few reads with them I've geTa "feel" for which ones work for certain types of issues. I use the tried and true ones when it's important. I do try to switch around so I can stay familiar with those I use less frequently.

LadyMedusa

Tabby

I only have about five decks, my favorite one seems to be Druidcraft. But, depending on the spread and how many cards I use then I do change around. Like, yesterday I finally did my Birthday spread for the year. But, because of the spread and how many cards I used I changed to Gilded.

Sulis

I'm no good at flitting between decks.

I tend to use one deck for a few months at a time.

At the moment I'm using the Victorian Romantic and I'd like to continue with just that one for the foreseeable future.

tarotreader2007

Imagemaker said:
If I have a bigger/serious question, I pull out a long used old favorite. If all is well and I'm pulling 3 cards for "what's my day going to contain" I often go for something I've not used much, so the images are fresh and something unexpected pops out at me.

New images always interest me!

This is much like me. I use an old comfy deck when I want pure and utter accuracy (which I get from most of my decks). However, when it comes to certain decks, I have a really wishy washy feeling about how well I got the message.

tarotreader2007

**PEACE**

Lula Jing

Imagemaker said:
If I have a bigger/serious question, I pull out a long used old favorite. If all is well and I'm pulling 3 cards for "what's my day going to contain" I often go for something I've not used much, so the images are fresh and something unexpected pops out at me.
That's exactly what I do too. The deck I have bonded with the most is the Hanson-Roberts. Never lets me down on the more serious issues, but sometimes I reach for other decks, just for a change and particularly when reading for others.

Grizabella

I usually pull out other decks than what I normally us when I see something in the Your Readings thread that says the person has used a deck I have in my collection. Then I get out that deck and lay out the spread they've used so that I can see what the cards would have looked like.

Alta

all78degrees said:
Here's a question for all those who have a few decks in there collection. What makes you change from one deck to another? Is it an emotional thing - a tug that you can't explain? A controlled rotation? Or something else?

My problem is that I like spending time with a deck but then I feel that I'm ignoring the other ones so I force myself to change. Is it just me that does this?

gav.
Hi gav,

I saw this when you posted but but just getting around to replying now. :)

I tend to 'worry' about this too. And actually find it odd that it bothers me. I have a lot of decks, more than any, even the most diligent, could possibly get through entirely. And some of the decks are decks that I have tried and just cannot read with them.

Sometimes I buy a deck(s) and don't even try it out for a long period and sometimes that happens then it becomes a fav for a lengthy period. Happened recently with the LS Manga deck. Didn't even look through it at first and now can't put it down.

Okay, to use that as an example. Why did I go from using the Radiant Rider to the Manga? It has a sword-sy feel, and don't ask me to explain that. When I use I feel like I am cutting through the cr*p. And, right now in my life that is quality that I feel that I need. A sense of clean cutting and sharp vision.

I have the Victorian Romantic and it is a swell deck and I am sure that at some point in my life I am going to love it. But right now I do not resonate with that sort of lush image.

So, is it the deck, or is it the reader? (This does not explain the many readers who only use one deck for their whole lives, and I cannot explain anyone else's experience at any rate!) I say it is the reader, and as you life changes so does what draws you and resonates inside you. If the querent picks the deck, well, that's something else.

HearthCricket

For me a lot depends on the mood I am in and what I am using the deck for. I pull decks out for study and other ones for readings, either for myself or for others. When I read for others I try to match the deck to the querant, as best as I can, so long as it is a deck I feel comfortable reading from. For me it depends on my mood, visually. Maybe I have just read a Russian classic or watched Dr. Zhivago, so I am apt to pull out the Russian St. Petersburg Tarot. My favourite standby is the Gilded and the Sacred Rose for my most serious of questions. They, and the Hanson Roberts, are decks I find I can always rely on. Some of my decks I have a tendency to read seasonally-Golden Tarot of the Tsar on Holy Week, Golden at Christmas, Halloween, Fantastical and Archeon in the fall, etc. When I want to do a more intuitive reading I am apt to pick out the Victorian Romantic. If I am in the mood for just some meditative work I will pick out the Margarete Peterson. And so forth! And sometimes I sit there and ponder who I want to read from, because I love all my decks so much, so I will pick out something loveable, like the Morgan Greer, or something challenging like the Fey or one of the Historical reproduction decks.

AngelC

I've been putting my hand into the basket every day and picking a deck without looking.
Sometimes when thinking of a deck I find it's the one I've grabbed.

Lately however I've felt certain decks call to me and I know that's the one I'll be using the next day. If I feel the readings are good I stick to it longer than a day, depends so much on how I feel.