What Makes you Pull out a Deck?

all78degrees

Thanks everyone for sharing.

I have a little two drawer unit that sits on the desk in my home office, which contains all my decks, expect the ones I'm working with. It is often a case of out of sight out of mind. I've not had a chance to have a good play with the Fantastical Menagerie, the Ship of Fools, or the Sakki-Sakki (as I just got the companion book). All of which I'm itching to do a few readings with.

The otherside of the coin is that alongside these decks. I've usually got a couple of decks I'm reviewing sitting on my desk and they need some tarot hours for assessment too.

I think I'll have to start offering some one card readings on my blog to take give me some more tarot time.

And to top it off Lo Scarabeo have a host of exciting decks coming out this year. Though I've not seen any new USGamesInc ones...but that is another thread.

SarahRose

I get that "I'm neglecting my other decks!" feeling too. Lately I've been favoring the Llewellyn, which reads the best for me out of the decks I have that I am acquainted with. I have three new ones that I don't really know yet, so I don't know if those will take the dominance.

I feel that if I really want to read with a deck, there must be a reason, so I go for it. My Whimsical, Radiant Waite and Universal are the ones I haven't quite acquainted myself with yet; one of those may become my dominant deck.

I just kind of go for whatever deck I want to use with whatever spread/question I have in my head to do - I just go with what I seem to want to do it with.

Lurea

I'm alternately a flitter, a serial monogamist, and a bigamist, and enjoy it all. LOL :)

As others have said, I mostly go with my feelings. There was a long time when I almost HAD to read with Hanson Roberts or Voyager--in fact, I got used to using those decks together, and they did well. Othertimes, a deck seems to call me occasionally, as if it wants to come out and play. :laugh:

And although I don't consciously match the deck to the question or the querent, sometimes it works out very serendipitiously. Frex, Housewive's is generally considered a 'novelty' deck--but I read for a lot of housewives! Its down-to-earth images of moms, dads, kids, and daily life is just amazingly accurate for my clientele. I figure I'll get around to most of my decks eventually. :)

Judith D

I mainly read for myself or others with my Robin Wood deck, which I find speaks to me most clearly, probably because I spent the most time learning with it. I am in the study groups for Osho Zen and Tarot of the Cat People and find that is helping enormously in encouraging me to actually use the decks; and then I collected cat decks .... At present I mainly take them out and drool over them, but the time will come!
And the time will be soon, too. My son is looking for his own place to live, and although I will miss him like crazy and dread him going, I can't wait to get into that bedroom and kit it out for myself, with space to keep my decks where I want them, and space for my altar, and my desk to study at. Right now I can't shut myself up and put my cards out and leave them while I think and consider. When that time comes I know I will be comparing, and matching, and experimenting, with all the decks. This is really being pulled in two directions at the same time!