22 Revelations' Chapters

venicebard

(on the forest's fringe, looking in)

Huck, your long bit is interesting history mixed with erroneous conception based on an understandable blind-spot: your theory of Visconti origin of tarot leaves two unanswered questions of great import according to what can be deduced concerning tarot’s structure and its individual cards’ designs, by which I mean Marseille and Cary-sheet types (block-cut), which I take as an established norm that must have had a period of development (in Provence?) of the occasional variants within the traditional meanings (LeDiable, LeMonde) by the time the Cary sheet (circa 1500?) or even the earlier hand-painted ones appear, the commonest type by its nature disappearing, being most replaceable. The questions are:

(1.) What evidence is there of British bardic knowledge there at that time (I know Arthurian lore did penetrate the region)?
(2) What evidence is there of confluence of Judaic esotericism WITH that knowledge to produce such extraordinary embodiment of seemingly ancient tradition forcing itself to the surface of society as mere ‘cardplay’ yet by its pattern betraying deeply powerful esoteric roots?

The fact that I can demonstrate the basis on which these questions are asked does not, I am sure, make them sound any less strange to any not privy to that demonstration. I throw them out anyway just in case some answer may actually materialize, for which I would thank the god Luck/Lugh for prompting said tongue.

As of now, much as I would love to see that you had pinned down the decade tarot (as I define it) emerged, I have not as yet seen anything to dissuade me from a Provencal origin: it embodies clearly definable reconstruction of a very old tradition of letter- and number-symbolism made possible only by studying two decayed surviving relics of it, bardic (Irish/Welsh) and Judaic (‘Work of the Chariot’, Jewish-Gnostic). Today we have an added tool (since these two have decayed even further) in surviving fragments of the previous reconstruction, Qabbalah, as well as some several alphabets of related traditions that can be studied for their pictographic iconography: tifinag, Libyan, Meroitic, and the Germanic runes, these last based on Keltic tree-letters.

Now if you could turn up concrete evidence that the new flowering of both Jewish esotericism and British poetic lore that graced both 12th-century Provence and the Tarot of Marseilles had its germ slightly earlier in NW Italy, or more to the point that the fruit of that flowering – bardo-Qabbalistic Gnosis, for want of a better term – was brought to NW Italy... leaving some actual relic of its arrival sufficient to ‘take the heat off’ Provence as its probable place-of-germination... you would have something indeed!

ON TO REVELATIONS ITSELF

Now, to the question commencing this thread. Let’s consider things in some detail and make a study of our own, what say you, in honor of Isaac Newton’s deep interest in it.

I was struck by the theme of winds at the outset of Ch.7: VII LeChariot represents wind-in-one’s-face upon forward motion (in part deducible from Sefer Yetzirah). Yet Ch.4 starts out with the theme of the door, meaning Hebrew dalet (‘door’), whose actual trump though (by bardic numbering) is XII LePendu. A very pronounced NON-fit would be Ch.6, to my ear, as it appears to reflect neither VI L’Amoureux’s amity nor vau’s and-ness (conjoining). And Ch.8 makes for harsh ‘justice’, although one might make a case for some connexion to chet.

So far, it seems uneven, leading me to postpone further study till the morrow. But I shall return, to make renewed onslaught with ‘energy reinforcements’. Glad to finally be driven to follow in Newton’s wake (we're in good company).

Huck

venice,

venicebard said:
Huck, your long bit is interesting history mixed with erroneous conception based on an understandable blind-spot: your theory of Visconti origin of tarot leaves two unanswered questions of great import according to what can be deduced concerning tarot’s structure and its individual cards’ designs, by which I mean Marseille and Cary-sheet types (block-cut), which I take as an established norm that must have had a period of development (in Provence?) of the occasional variants within the traditional meanings (LeDiable, LeMonde) by the time the Cary sheet (circa 1500?) or even the earlier hand-painted ones appear, the commonest type by its nature disappearing, being most replaceable.

I don't know, if you're aware of the 5x14-theory ... it explains (or tries to argue), that the 14 Bembo cards (as part of the socalled Pierpont-Morgan-Bergamo deck) are as part of a deck with a 5x14-structure in use (perhaps together with other games with other iconographical content) at least till 1457 (when in a Ferrarese document "70 cards" are noted).
Till this time the number "22" is never noted in context to playing card decks or documents, also the structure of older decks doesn't give a definite clue, that "22" trumps (or 21 + Fool) are used.
The theory suggests in detail, that a "good opportunity" exists in the year 1468, when the number of the trumps might have been raised to 21+Fool - the opportunity is the marriage of Galeazzo Sforza and Bona of Savoyen.

In provisional form the theory is given at
http://trionfi.com/0/f/
and also the suggestion to 1468 (also provisional) at:
http://trionfi.com/0/g/61/

The pages are provisional, as the research is still running.

In context to this theory the question, that you above raise, looks different. It's for instance so, that the numerology of the Marseille is part of the 5x14-deck, of course only in rudimentary form, as the deck has only 14 trumps - by this the 5x14-deck can be interpreted as the mother-deck, from which the Marseilled deck and order developed.

The questions are:

(1.) What evidence is there of British bardic knowledge there at that time (I know Arthurian lore did penetrate the region)?
(2) What evidence is there of confluence of Judaic esotericism WITH that knowledge to produce such extraordinary embodiment of seemingly ancient tradition forcing itself to the surface of society as mere ‘cardplay’ yet by its pattern betraying deeply powerful esoteric roots?

The fact that I can demonstrate the basis on which these questions are asked does not, I am sure, make them sound any less strange to any not privy to that demonstration. I throw them out anyway just in case some answer may actually materialize, for which I would thank the god Luck/Lugh for prompting said tongue.

As of now, much as I would love to see that you had pinned down the decade tarot (as I define it) emerged, I have not as yet seen anything to dissuade me from a Provencal origin: it embodies clearly definable reconstruction of a very old tradition of letter- and number-symbolism made possible only by studying two decayed surviving relics of it, bardic (Irish/Welsh) and Judaic (‘Work of the Chariot’, Jewish-Gnostic). Today we have an added tool (since these two have decayed even further) in surviving fragments of the previous reconstruction, Qabbalah, as well as some several alphabets of related traditions that can be studied for their pictographic iconography: tifinag, Libyan, Meroitic, and the Germanic runes, these last based on Keltic tree-letters.

Now if you could turn up concrete evidence that the new flowering of both Jewish esotericism and British poetic lore that graced both 12th-century Provence and the Tarot of Marseilles had its germ slightly earlier in NW Italy, or more to the point that the fruit of that flowering – bardo-Qabbalistic Gnosis, for want of a better term – was brought to NW Italy... leaving some actual relic of its arrival sufficient to ‘take the heat off’ Provence as its probable place-of-germination... you would have something indeed!

I guess, that these questions only make really sense, when the deck had from its beginning 22 cards. This seems to be - in the light of the 5x14-theory - not likely.
If you wish to save the basic idea of these questions, you should think about the possibility, if somebody transformed some existing Tarot (Trionfi card) iconography to something, which made it look similar to that what you interprete as bardic tradition or "bardo-Qabbalistic Gnosis" - just my neutral advice, as this possibility simply exist ... but I personally simply see a "normal" Italian development, of course taking some influences from outside.

Regards

venicebard

Huck, thanx for receiving my challenge in the friendly spirit in which it was intended.
Huck said:
I don't know, if you're aware of the 5x14-theory ... it explains (or tries to argue), that the 14 Bembo cards (as part of the socalled Pierpont-Morgan-Bergamo deck) are as part of a deck with a 5x14-structure in use (perhaps together with other games with other iconographical content) at least till 1457 (when in a Ferrarese document "70 cards" are noted).
Till this time the number "22" is never noted in context to playing card decks or documents, also the structure of older decks doesn't give a definite clue, that "22" trumps (or 21 + Fool) are used.
This seems to me to point more to the 22 being of foreign (i.e. Provencal) origin, as does the apparent jump Provence got on paper manufacture (over the rest of Christian Europe). The greater turmoil on many levels in Provence can explain, methinks, the general lack of physical evidence for this (but the intricate, amazing structure of the Marseilles remains).
If you wish to save the basic idea of these questions, you should think about the possibility, if somebody transformed some existing Tarot (Trionfi card) iconography to something, which made it look similar to that what you interprete as bardic tradition or "bardo-Qabbalistic Gnosis" - just my neutral advice, as this possibility simply exist ...
I've thought of something similar, that the Marseilles designs evolved over time, with gradual refinement in terms of detail. But the main point where you and I differ is that I see the basic pattern of 22 as having had a period of evolution preceding the earliest extant examples. In other words, even if refinement over time occurred (and I do not by any means rule this out completely, though it does create difficulties), the basic 22 categories seem well-established by the time of the versions we have. Difference of perspective.

Of course there were other forms of cards around: some argue that the pips and an all-male court came from the East originally and were then altered, and so on. But the one amazing structure (that dwarfs the others) remains, a gem in the mud of evidence's dirth.

Huck

venicebard said:
Huck, thanx for receiving my challenge in the friendly spirit in which it was intended.

No problem. We do research, and that's a constant meeting with a foreign opinion. And communication is really difficult, especially when the topic is complicated and often accompanied by "emotions", which often result, when researchers are very engaged.

This seems to me to point more to the 22 being of foreign (i.e. Provencal) origin, as does the apparent jump Provence got on paper manufacture (over the rest of Christian Europe). The greater turmoil on many levels in Provence can explain, methinks, the general lack of physical evidence for this (but the intricate, amazing structure of the Marseilles remains).
I've thought of something similar, that the Marseilles designs evolved over time, with gradual refinement in terms of detail. But the main point where you and I differ is that I see the basic pattern of 22 as having had a period of evolution preceding the earliest extant examples. In other words, even if refinement over time occurred (and I do not by any means rule this out completely, though it does create difficulties), the basic 22 categories seem well-established by the time of the versions we have. Difference of perspective.

We have no difficulty with any old "22", which are real and in existence much longer than Tarot. And if you don't believe, you may study

http://trionfi.com/tarot/new-themes/sepher-yetzirah/

which on first view may look strange to you, but if you try to understand, you will see, that there is a indeed a very old "22" in it and indeed also the simple 21 combinations of the throw of two dices.
And if you've further interests just in these specific points, you may read an almost interesting discussion between "Pan" and me a longer time ago in the thread "chess and tarot" here in the Forum

http://tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=16731&page=1&pp=10&highlight=chess

I can't help, you've to read the complete thread and read in the dynamic of it, leaving that out, what doesn't focus the theme.

But all these old "22"'s doesn't change, that there is in iconographical nearness, also in nearness of time, locality and social conditions nothing nearer to the desired "end result" "fixation of 22 trumps in a specific order with specific iconographcal details" (as it is found in Marseille Tarot later) as just this 20 trumps in the Pierpont-Morgan-Bergamo-deck, so, when you're not interested to follow blind suggestions like a 22 here and a 22 there and wonderful, another one, you've to look at this deck and understand, what's in it. And just that does the 5x14-theory, which is a result of this study.

And if you know about something, what in all these above noted conditions is nearer, there is an easy way: Just state what.

Celtic bards are not near, when 15th century is connected. Also a French production is not near, when Italy knows 300 and more old cards of 15th century and a relevant number of documents and French more or less none - or only documents, in which from Italian side it becomes clear: in France was also something - as in the case of the Michelino-deck , which is mainly known, cause we made a big and thick internet page about it (on the base of the work of Franco Pratesi, who should be mentioned here).

http://trionfi.com/0/b/

inclusive a translation from a letter and a small "oldest Tarot book" from Latin to English (translation by Ross Gregory Caldwell)

http://trionfi.com/0/b/10/

http://trionfi.com/0/b/11/

by which it becomes clear: there wandered a strange sort of Trionfi deck to France.
Recently it was stated, not here, but in inner circles, that specific cards, the socalled Goldschmidt + Guildhall cards, came from "West of Milan" and the whole suggestion has chances to be true, also by us.
You can see the cards, the article is in preparation and incomplete
http://trionfi.com/0/c/50/

Also recently we did a research about a French Feast of Fools, which might have had a very small influence, but possible fine influence, on the Frerrarese court, where at 1.1.1441 a possible deciding situation is recorded. We did all what was possible to make this point clear. It's only a suspicion ...

http://trionfi.com/0/d/91/
http://trionfi.com/0/d/93/

It's just matrial to a research, not a finished article. We're used to the condition to develop ideas, which possibly later become important.

So nobody has an interest to exclude French influence, if anything has "real" good arguments ... .but naturally no researcher has interest to follow vague speculations, which break in pieces, if you look longer than 5 minutes on them. You simply find nothing, where you can't find nothing, that's a natural
condition in life. If the easter-egg is not there, it's not there. If you start to lie to yourself, cause you've too much "favoured" theories ... you're lost. It's not easy to recover from "favoured theories". Always you look on the wrong places.

Of course there were other forms of cards around: some argue that the pips and an all-male court came from the East originally and were then altered, and so on. But the one amazing structure (that dwarfs the others) remains, a gem in the mud of evidence's dirth.

What is a "gem" for you? Has it similarity to a specific mathematical form? Gems often has geometrical structures. Is it the Marseille deck? Or is it similar to what I call "favoured theory"?

jmd

I have been trying to locate an essay I once read from someone who has made correlations between the chapters of Revelation and the 22 Atouts, but cannot locate it.

In any case, it was, in my view, quite contrived. Although a few rather poignant images can and do fit, these tend to be, in my personal opinion, the exception rather than the norm.

Of course, one can redesign the images in such a manner as for them to reflect more aspects of Revelation - but then, it usually means adding details that are not intrinsically in certainly any early Tarot (such as having a woman pregnant crowned by stars standing on the Moon - despite the fact that some modern artists have chosen to add these details to either card II or III).

Actually, from memory, the essay made a connection between the opening of Revelation 12 with card XVII.

Huck

jmd said:
I have been trying to locate an essay I once read from someone who has made correlations between the chapters of Revelation and the 22 Atouts, but cannot locate it.

In any case, it was, in my view, quite contrived. Although a few rather poignant images can and do fit, these tend to be, in my personal opinion, the exception rather than the norm.

Of course, one can redesign the images in such a manner as for them to reflect more aspects of Revelation - but then, it usually means adding details that are not intrinsically in certainly any early Tarot (such as having a woman pregnant crowned by stars standing on the Moon - despite the fact that some modern artists have chosen to add these details to either card II or III).

Actually, from memory, the essay made a connection between the opening of Revelation 12 with card XVII.

The most easiest thing is to look at old relevations - 15th century. When you see iconography in the bookpaintings - enough iconography - of Tarot cards, the thesis has a chance, if not, not. I was at book fair, where one has chance to look at faksimile editions, and by luck there were one or two of them, I don't remember, at least one. I opened one, took some impressions, and closed it. At least that was rather different ... :)

Also you can search the picture search engines. "Apocalypse" "Relevation" "Johannes" "Patmos"

http://www.wga.hu/frames-e.html?/html/zgothic/miniatur/1200-250/

this was what I found in a quick search, what was most nearest to Tarot cards: Michael as Justice
Not bad, but you find more and much better, when you type "Iustitia"

venicebard

Huck said:
you will see, that there is a indeed a very old "22" in it...
Truly amazing and wonderful stuff concerning the hexagrams! It is also (forgive me if I missed you mentioning it) interesting that 64 is the middle term of the cluster of 15 ‘rare earth metals’ (57-71). The other nearby squares (except 36) are ‘mothers’ of planetary metals (25 of iron-26, 49 of tin-50, 81 of lead-82, all active planets, that is, outside earth’s orbit). This pattern you and I are investigating runs to the very heart of matter, both nature- and intelligent-matter (self-aware beings)... but I am stoked to see the connexion to I Ching! It makes it a little less unsettling and a little more intriguing that pips themselves may have come from the Far East.

I do pose to you that the full (secret) answer to the Riddle of the Sphinx is man’s conscious self or daimon (with apologies to Plato):

3 parts...
- - - knower, for what is eternal (knowable),
- - - thinker, for what has finite duration (subject to opinion),
- - - doer, acting in fleeting present instant (of which it is ignorant)
Each is a part (itself), a breath (activity), and an atmosphere (realm of activity)
- - - 3 x 3 = 9
Each has an active and passive (determinative and determined) side
- - - 9 x 2 = 18
And each such aspect has reflected in it all the others
- - - 18 x 18 = 324
Read from lowest to highest (starting with units), this ‘number of facets’ yields the result observed in life (i.e. man’s outer nature).
...and indeed also the simple 21 combinations of the throw of two dices.
...yes, the extension of the tetraktys two layers, I suppose to tell us that in addition to the four cardinal points (elemental pointers) there are the poles of the axle of the wheel.
But all these old "22"'s doesn't change, that there is in iconographical nearness, also in nearness of time, locality and social conditions nothing nearer to the desired "end result" "fixation of 22 trumps in a specific order with specific iconographcal details" (as it is found in Marseille Tarot later) as just this 20 trumps in the Pierpont-Morgan-Bergamo-deck, so, when you're not interested to follow blind suggestions like a 22 here and a 22 there and wonderful, another one, you've to look at this deck and understand, what's in it. And just that does the 5x14-theory, which is a result of this study.
Interesting as these evidences of nobles’ flirtations with cards are, they do not appear to fill in the picture of what had currency in more common circles. I am much more interested in the origin of mass-produced cards, as I think that would have been the catalyst needed to prompt the creators of Tarot of Marseilles to ‘come out of the woodwork’ and try to affect the world.

A note: how do you know the suggestions I follow are blind? I will admit I think that somewhat of the 5 x 14 theory (since 4 suits predate and since I consider tarot late medieval, not renaissance), but you and I are perhaps looking for different things, I for the origin of something we already have, you for a supposed precursor that is ‘similar’: one person’s precursor is another’s offshoot, and I think the painted cards are just that, however reluctant of admission in writing of having ‘copied the peasants’ such nobles might have been. I’m not being flippant, just realistic as I see it.
And if you know about something, what in all these above noted conditions is nearer, there is an easy way: Just state what.
Oh: the trumps conformance – too close for coincidence – to the symbolic meanings of the Irish tree-letters matching them in number as well as by number (sacrificial oak LePendu, martial holly LaForce, hazel of wisdom ‘in a nutshell’ L’Hermite, elder ‘to burn which brings the devil’ LeDiable, uplifting fir LeBateleur, palm tree LeMonde of far-off locales, and so on), and conformance of the deck as a whole (including the 3-male/1-female structure in the letters of the Name) to my careful (pathologically so) reconstruction of what the ancient trunk looks like when you put tree-alphabet together with Hebrew alphabet (yod being mistletoe) together with the surviving Kabbalah, enhanced by insights concerning Ezekiel’s wheels – an explanation self-evident once pictured, since it explains the 4 worlds or suits (will expound if asked).
Celtic bards are not near, when 15th century is connected.
Bardic influence hit the Continent in the 12-13th centuries, Tarot of Marseilles perhaps 14th or so, not too awfully far, perhaps a reaction to the deteriorating situation for ‘freedom of expression’ in those parts. Could have appeared in Italy first, but ‘twould have to have been refugees from Provence as I see it, since that was where the confluence of Judaic and British traditions occurred (judging from Qabbalah and Tristram).
... by which it becomes clear: there wandered a strange sort of Trionfi deck to France.
Having read the letter and much of your evidence, it does not seem to me quite so clear: she could simply have been ignorant of the fact that it was only ‘new’ in the sense of being a ‘new twist’, not new in the sense of a ‘new creation’. What is occurring amongst commoners is, unfortunately, absent except in the early examples of block-printed cards (Cary sheet, etc.) Sorry, I wish we could agree on more.
So nobody has an interest to exclude French influence, if anything has "real" good arguments ... .but naturally no researcher has interest to follow vague speculations, which break in pieces, if you look longer than 5 minutes on them... If you start to lie to yourself, cause you've too much "favoured" theories ... you're lost. It's not easy to recover from "favoured theories".
There is one ‘favoured theory’, of course, from which one would not want (nor need) to recover... (a correct one, to which one might add but from which there is no ‘recovery’ save death or amnesia)

jmd

Though this is totally moving away from the focus of this thread, in reference to a possible connection bertween the pips and far eastern 'origins', another thread from quite some time back may be interesting to some: the Chinese connection and the Polo stick.

Huck

Venice wrote:

Bardic influence hit the Continent in the 12-13th centuries, Tarot of Marseilles perhaps 14th or so, not too awfully far, perhaps a reaction to the deteriorating situation for ‘freedom of expression’ in those parts. Could have appeared in Italy first, but ‘twould have to have been refugees from Provence as I see it, since that was where the confluence of Judaic and British traditions occurred (judging from Qabbalah and Tristram).

### With a little nothing of Tarot of Marseille in 14th and 15th century you cannot make a big deal with in research.
How do you intend to reseach the nothing? Where will you start? What's your idea? Shall everybody wait till you found it? Shall everybody believe, that Quabbala or Tristram already contained full developed Marseille motifs, just cause it is a nice idea? ... is this a religious question, if playing cards developed this way or that way?
Sorry, research needs some reality, some things, which are there, which can be touched, looked on or read. Cards or documents or trustable reports about cards or documents. ... just something. "Nothing" is bad. It will likely don't find development. ##

Having read the letter and much of your evidence, it does not seem to me quite so clear: she could simply have been ignorant of the fact that it was only ‘new’ in the sense of being a ‘new twist’, not new in the sense of a ‘new creation’. What is occurring amongst commoners is, unfortunately, absent except in the early examples of block-printed cards (Cary sheet, etc.) Sorry, I wish we could agree on more.

## Perhaps you should offer a way to get some basic knowledge about block-printing in France for the early time - just you would give it a sort of realism. An experts opinion, how it was in this time. Recently I requested info about card-playing facts in France in 15th century in the Marseille group. Nobody replied. I already listed a few things there. If you know more, I would like to see it added.

... :) also we could open a thread: "nice ideas around the Tarot game without any evidence till late 15th century, which explain all and everything and especially each detail of the Marseille Tarot".

You've the problem, that in Tarot research development ideas of that sort constantly had appeared and finally were selected as "nothing" and directed to another door. Even in the case, that you're totally right with your opinion this likely would happen ... It's much easier to be content with a nice celtian system, that you like, as it is .. as to try to mingle it with Tarot ideas. You need a lot of patience, before any of the qualified researchers takes you serious ... and some will never do .. It's simply not their theme.

Even when you're right with a specific unusual idea of comparition between two - on first view - very different systems, and it's "only" possibly a little too complicated or you express yourself a little funny, that already may cause, that nobody listens. That's reality ..

So it's really a good advice to keep things simple ... you for instance use words, as it seems, only understandable in your system, where everybody gets a lots of "I didn't understand" and "never heard's" in their heads, how shall this work in a argumentation, which seriously tries to transfer a complex message ... Do you assume, that everybody has read Ranke-Graves, knows specific-elements by heart, best in your specific "personal expressions" ... when he simply is interested in Tarot?

That you don't agree in specific points, as you indicate above, for instance to the Michelino deck, is not a problem ... it's "normal", not specific. When you offer complex articles and opinions, "agreement" is a very rare guest. But the theme wins, the reader gets the impression, that there is a complex world and perhaps once he has enough time and background to think about an argument really. .. .-) writers need patience .. .-)

Parzival

I only have a simple question to try to get back on topic, although I appreciate Huck's comments on verification versus speculation in historic matters -- the Shakespeare biographers are strong on the latter and weak on the former, but they have their believers who relish thousand-page biographies based on a few pages of actual facts. But I digress. Back to Tarot ; are there key images/metaphors in Revelations that appear in the trumps of the Renaissance Tarot, or not? ( Not by chapter number to Tarot sequence, but by images here as well as there.)