22 Revelations' Chapters

venicebard

After sleeping on it, I have to say there is some basis even in crude translation (KJV) for thinking the author of Revelations had ‘bardo-Qabbalistic’ (Gnostic) connexions in mind. Some of what fits tarot itself, such as what suggests the Vieville LeSoleil (child on horseback), undoubtedly derive from the book... but the book itself has a few too many coincidings with deeper knowledge to dismiss out of hand. And the vast majority of these follow bardic numbering (perhaps because that's what I was looking for but more likely because chapters run 1-22, not 1-9, 10-90, & 100-900, though ancients sometimes used the alphabet for 'numbering' chapters).

Huck said:
Kabbalism was in Provence in about 1170 AD, but in the follwing time it became concentrated in Spain. It was not a very broad development (this it became later in 1500, when one can trust in Gerschom Scholem, although those people connected to it were scholars and wrote a lot in their personal circles - with some intention to keep the mystery inside their own circles).
You have entered the crux of our disagreement in this post. Here you are looking for a ‘broad development’ that might have influenced cardmakers, whereas I am looking at a result (TdM) wrought directly by individuals who were themselves initiated into a great secret (if I were just out to sell something, I certainly wouldn't pick such a difficult product to sell)

The kabbalistic movement was not accepted everywhere and occasionally it was [fought] - by orthodox Jews.
It was itself in part a reaction against philosophical (Aristotelian) Judaism.

Kabbalism in Italy at early 15th century is a rare, unlikely topic. Kabbalism and interest in Jewish culture in about 1475/1480 is intensified in the contrary. Christians started to learn the language - which before was not given.
Having to do with early printing of Kabbalistic works in Italy? but you are looking at effects, I at the cause. What filtered up to the public (as printed works, as ‘Christian Cabala’, and eventually as Kabbalah, Qabbalah’s surviving flotsam) was the effect, while what directly shaped TdM was the original understanding, created (as I said) by the confluence of Jewish and Keltic currents in 12th-century Provence.

The argument against it: The 14 Bembo cards present itself so near to the Tarot de Marseilles form, that there MUST be a context. The likely relation is, that these cards are the mother deck to the Marseille. Your assumption MUST suggest a way, why these assumed 22 cards should have been reduced to 14 in Milan.
You are the one ‘bucking the mainstream’ here I believe, in that Bembo’s 20 are normally taken as derived from 22, since the 14 were ‘filled out’ by another artist (2 being omitted or perhaps removed), indicating 14 were seen as deficient.

This all accompanied by the condition, that there is evidence for the the use of 5x12, 5x13, 5x14 and with some reconstruction - also for 5x16 structure, also 4x12, 4x13, 4x14, 4x15. But not much evidence for the general unusual structure (1423 Imperatori-deck - which is not clear, 1425 Michelino-deck - which is also not clear).
(HERE is the complexity!)

Your suggestion demands a complicated movement. From a complex form to an easier one and then returning back to the old complex.

The other way around it's easier: An easy form develops some complications and evolves to a complex standard form, which by increasement of printing abilities in the right time (1470 - 1480) is able to establish itself as standard, becoming "successful" and with that able to make earlier forms forget.
The ironic thing is that I agree with you totally, except that I define as ‘easy’ (simpler) what makes sense (in terms of having an internal rationale of more depth than “Oh, here’s the Mongols’ 4 suits, let’s add a fifth!” which is a pretty shallow, cheap origin for such deep, rich color in a gem (TdM)! Occam’s razor forces me to go with a theory that matches depth with depth.

Improved printing technique (cheapness) is what allowed the shallower to flourish, and the more divided-up (mountainous) nature of Italy favored local variation. But if you look at the three types suggested by Dummet and others, it is the western that is the most widespread, that 'caught on', the one with the properly ordered 22. It is true that this is generally seen as originating in Milan, and I cannot prove otherwise (though I do not agree), but at least I agree with mainstream scholarship on what was mainstream tarot. (I sympathize with your maverick status though, as you might well imagine!)

Huck

Huck wrote: The argument against it: The 14 Bembo cards present itself so near to the Tarot de Marseilles form, that there MUST be a context. The likely relation is, that these cards are the mother deck to the Marseille. Your assumption MUST suggest a way, why these assumed 22 cards should have been reduced to 14 in Milan.
Venice wrote: You are the one ‘bucking the mainstream’ here I believe, in that Bembo’s 20 are normally taken as derived from 22, since the 14 were ‘filled out’ by another artist (2 being omitted or perhaps removed), indicating 14 were seen as deficient.

Huck now: Here a specific technical misunderstanding between us becomes obvious. So we should try to get specific termini defined.

There are 14 Bembo cards, not 20. This fact leads to the 5x14 theory, without it it wouldn't exist. So it's essential in our communication, that we have similar insights about this.
If you really think, that he painted 20 trumps, then read Kaplan I, p. 106 or the articles to
http://trionfi.com/0/f/
There are two artists. One painted 6 trumps, and the rest was painted by an artist, who is considered to have been Bembo.

venicebard

Once again, my apologies: I don’t know how what I said ended up worded the way it was. What I originally typed (and then evidently imperfectly changed) was (with my omissions in bold):

“You are the one ‘bucking the mainstream’ here I believe, in that the quasi-Bembo 20 are normally taken as derived from 22 because Bembo’s 14 were ‘filled out’ by another artist (2 then being omitted or perhaps removed), indicating that 14 were seen as deficient.”

(Nothing to add, just the correction)

Huck

venicebard said:
Once again, my apologies: I don’t know how what I said ended up worded the way it was. What I originally typed (and then evidently imperfectly changed) was (with my omissions in bold):

“You are the one ‘bucking the mainstream’ here I believe, in that the quasi-Bembo 20 are normally taken as derived from 22 because Bembo’s 14 were ‘filled out’ by another artist (2 then being omitted or perhaps removed), indicating that 14 were seen as deficient.”

(Nothing to add, just the correction)

It's just, that I must be sure, that you can differentiate the cards, otherwise
we start to live in our talk in two different worlds.

If mainstream or not mainstream, the mainstream doesn't decide, what's right and what's wrong. ... :) And we're on the way to train mankind, that there is a specific point to observe ... the assumption, that there are 22 (or 21 trumps + fool), has nothing contemporary and nothing which is earlier, which give this conclusion evidence, in the contrary, a document from 1457, in which is spoken from 2 Trionfi decks, notes 70 cards for these decks. As the Pierpont-Morgan-Bergamo-deck usually is assumed to be from ca. 1452, there jumps up a contradiction and serious doubt. A note from 1449 speaks from Ludus triumphorum, but has only 16 trumps and astonishingly has strange Greek gods as trumps. And a document from 1.1.1441 again speaks of "14 figure", which are used for a party at night at a day which often was determined for playing - and indicators seem to point out, that these figure are trionfi, cards. "14 figure" (and trionfi motifs are called later figure), not 22, 14 Bembo-cards, 14 trumps and totally 70 cards in the year 1457 give a solid lead from 3:0 in the soccer-game "5x14-theory versus 22-standard", especially as the 1449-Marcello-note indicates, that the decks at this time simply do not know standard.
And if this would be all .... it would be harmless. But the 14-Bembo-cards itself suggest, that it is a complete deck. It's simply a logical wrong assumption, that the cards were likely replaced or later repaired, likely is, that there were not 22 but 14 cards. And analysing playing cards researchers have to assume the likely broad way, not the specific "small possibilities" in their assumptions, otherwise they simply hurt their own technique. Then that's not usual research technique, but wishful thinking. "I will that there are 22, cause I have this or that wonderful favoured theory... "
That's the wrong approach. There is once a 14, once a 16, another 14, and another 14.

This gives 75% for 14, 25% for 16 and 0% for 22 till 1457.

And you've evidence for standard-matrix-development:

4x12 Hofämterspiel (ca. 1455)
4x13 Johannes of Rheinfelden (1377)
4x14 Bernardino (1423)
4x15 Johannes of Rheinfelden
5x12 (ca. 1455 ?) Master of the playing cards)
5x13 Johannes
5x14 Master PW ca. 1500
5x16 Cary-Yale (reconstructed only) 1441

against

1423 Imperatori - 8 cards entry PERHAPS not matrix oriented
1425 Michelino - deck PERHAPS not matrix oriented
1441 Cary - PERHAPS not 5x16

You have 3 single PERHAPS entries against a broad stream of Matrix-deck-structures, and you talk of "mainstream" ...

you should think in categories of the mainstream of documentary evidence, not the mainstream of opinions - Or do you not study playing cards, but human opinions ... :)

And this translates as "there is no evidence for 22 trumps till 1457". Very simple.

mainstream ... the mainstream of people has no special knowledge about Tarot ... does this indicate, that there is nothing to know about Tarot? Wrong conclusion. Just the few, which are not mainstream, have some knowledge. And if you wish to know something about Tarot, you better ask the few, and not the many.

And do you think, that this already is all, what I could say to the correct analysis of the PMB-deck? No, it isn't ... but you can read it at the website

http://trionfi.com/0/f/

0-1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 ... 12-13 ... 20

Does it look like an accidently loss of cards?

It minimizes your chance for "accidently loss" to 0.1 % or less. And that's in reality: Nearly "no chance". Turn the head and go the other way around, assume the 5x14-deck and you've real mainstream-feeling. Cause you've turned the view and have now with open eyes a chance to find in historical data the way how it really happened. And that's what we do and have done ... and cause we've experienced success in this way to turn the things, we know, that it was right. For instance: the 70 card - note was only found and interpreted, cause before the right theory already had turned the view. Others have seen this note before us, but wondered, what that shall mean. And likely thought of an writing error ... as you seem to believe in a reduced 22 just to save your theory ..

The 14 figure entry was only found, cause we've changed the view from 22 to "detect the 14". The hidden message that Trionfi was not stabilised in 1449 ... only found via changing the perspective ... and other things.

Your favoured 22-system ... didn't you realize, that the 32-system is the real elegant one, not the 22? That the 22-form is only a reduced form of the 32-system? Why bother about these imperfect forms? Why trying to forge historical data, when somebody made a childish 5x14-system for some cards for some fun, why just not believe him, that he just wanted this, what you definitely see? Why search difficult explanations, when it's just easy before your eyes - without great mystery?

venicebard

Shall we agree to disagree?

Huck, before critiquing your post I want to say that your idea about the organization of Bembo’s 14 trumps is interesting, and for the most part plausible, though I'd call it a ‘chosen subset’ and you ‘an ancient venerable core from which the trumps expanded’. Though I don’t buy Pope as Cavalier, and Papess as Knave is shaky, the idea of 5 persons followed by 5 states of destiny, and the seasonal nature of the latter, has merit. I even intend to further consider application of this to bardic tradition's numbering in the first place (my choice as trumps' origin): at first blush, it appears relevant, because the ogham ‘alphabet’ is in staves of five each, based on trained poets using finger-code to secretly communicate in the presence of others evidently. (The seasonal aspect presents the problem of running up against some contradiction from the tree-calendar, but I still do not dismiss it completely and will consider it further.)

Huck said:
If mainstream or not mainstream, the mainstream doesn't decide, what's right and what's wrong.
I heartily agree. I was merely pointing out your 'PR' difficulty as you, early on, pointed out mine.

...3:0 in the soccer-game "5x14-theory versus 22-standard", especially as the 1449-Marcello-note indicates, that the decks at this time simply do not know standard.
Yes, there was obvious instability in the form of deck then, in Italy. Yet ranking of trumps seems not in doubt, as no numbers appear on them.

... "I will that there are 22, cause I have this or that wonderful favoured theory... "
That's the wrong approach.
I would hardly call what I found in the TdM ‘this or that woderful favoured theory’, but rather ‘an astonishing discovery’, but I certainly forgive you for not knowing this.

0-1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 ... 12-13 ... 20

Does it look like an accidentl[e] loss of cards?

It minimizes your chance for "accidentl[e] loss" to 0.1 % or less. And that's in reality: Nearly "no chance".
Yet it does not even dent the possibility of its being an extracted subset of the 22, however frustrating such a possibility may remain.

Your favoured 22-system ... didn't you realize, that the 32-system is the real elegant one, not the 22?
The 32 ‘paths of wisdom’ are the 22 plus the 10, duh.

That the 22-form is only a reduced form of the 32-system?
No, apparently the 32 is derivative of (3+7+12=)22 + 10. Otherwise 32’s chief importance seems to be merely as the arithmetic transition from 16 (sulfur) to 64 (center of ‘rare earths’), judging by the periodic table.

[Edited to say:] Well okay, it IS elegant that 22 and 10 add up to 32: it is a mystery to which I shall devote more attention in future, having belittled it up till now.

Turn the head and go the other way around, assume the 5x14-deck and you've real mainstream-feeling. Cause you've turned the view and have now with open eyes a chance to find in historical data the way how it really happened. And that's what we do and have done ... and cause we've experienced success in this way to turn the things, we know, that it was right. For instance: the 70 card - note was only found and interpreted, cause before the right theory already had turned the view.
[...]
Why bother about these imperfect forms? Why trying to forge historical data, when somebody made a childish 5x14-system for some cards for some fun, why just not believe him, that he just wanted this, what you definitely see? Why search difficult explanations, when it's just easy before your eyes - without great mystery?
Your over-sure-ness here betrays, I think, your method. I feel like one offering a hand-up to one who is on a lower rung and having it rejected... but that’s alright, the offer still stands...

venicebard

(That last remark of mine was meant as good-natured ribbing, not haughty condescension.)

kwaw

Thank you both for this discussion, and Huck for your patience in explaining your position. I know you have done so many times before, all I can say is this time I think it is has 'clicked' and I think I understand it more than previous. That is not to say I totally agree with it, but it certainly makes more sense to me now. No doubt we will come to argue over some minor details that prove I haven't understood it at all! But for now, lets say I agree with the general scheme as you present it.

Thanks
Kwaw

Huck

kwaw said:
Thank you both for this discussion, and Huck for your patience in explaining your position. I know you have done so many times before, all I can say is this time I think it is has 'clicked' and I think I understand it more than previous. That is not to say I totally agree with it, but it certainly makes more sense to me now. No doubt we will come to argue over some minor details that prove I haven't understood it at all! But for now, lets say I agree with the general scheme as you present it.

Thanks
Kwaw

:) Thanks, kwaw. ... let me express a personal word. You're really made of hard stuff .... no offense intended.

Huck

venicebard said:
Huck, before critiquing your post I want to say that your idea about the organization of Bembo’s 14 trumps is interesting, and for the most part plausible, though I'd call it a ‘chosen subset’ and you ‘an ancient venerable core from which the trumps expanded’. Though I don’t buy Pope as Cavalier, and Papess as Knave is shaky, the idea of 5 persons followed by 5 states of destiny, and the seasonal nature of the latter, has merit. ...

It's "shaky", I agree ... but it is an observation, how figures did likely move "historically", not our "personal" preference. There is a 4-persons-group in the one world ("court cards") and a second 4-persons-expression in the 14-Bembo -trumps. This "somehow" refers to each other, but not naturally with precision but according to preferences and possible mental jumps of the designer. He's responsible and the interpreter can comment, "I understand" or "I think him a little unreasonable". But finally - the responsible designer did what he did.

I even intend to further consider application of this to bardic tradition's numbering in the first place (my choice as trumps' origin): at first blush, it appears relevant, because the ogham ‘alphabet’ is in staves of five each, based on trained poets using finger-code to secretly communicate in the presence of others evidently. (The seasonal aspect presents the problem of running up against some contradiction from the tree-calendar, but I still do not dismiss it completely and will consider it further.)

I heartily agree. I was merely pointing out your 'PR' difficulty as you, early on, pointed out mine.

The 5x14-theory in its mathematical aspects, which is (private history) the begin of it and the really beating argument in it, has real PR-difficulties. Nobody believes, nobody listens and you can do, what you want and you can be right as you want, no chance to communicate it in its real value. Things started to become better, when the 70-cards-note was found. This was easier to understand - so it's valuable; but on the "real level", there, where things are really counted and "mainstreams does count nothing", this is nothing against the woirth of "analyses of the mathematical matters inside the Pierpont-Morgan-Bergamo-deck", just raised by the fact, that 70 (68 still extant) cards were painted by one artist and 6 by somebody else.

Yes, there was obvious instability in the form of deck then, in Italy. Yet ranking of trumps seems not in doubt, as no numbers appear on them.

This is not so easy, as you might perceive it. The 5x14-theory wins informations about the nature of the 14 Bembo cards by comparing the motifs to the TdM-Numerology .. and this comparition results in a crazy accident, which likely is not accidently, but created with natural intention.

So the 5x14-theory strikes in two directions:

a. there had been really only 14 cards
b. The numerology of Marseille was total identical (as far it could, only14 cards existed) or at least in parts identical already known with the 14 Bembo - before the numbers were on the cards.

The alternative to the 5x14-theory is not impossible, but simply rather unlikely, so unlikely, that one is simply either a little stupid or rather adventurous, not to follow its suggestion.

I would hardly call what I found in the TdM ‘this or that woderful favoured theory’, but rather ‘an astonishing discovery’, but I certainly forgive you for not knowing this.

Yet it does not even dent the possibility of its being an extracted subset of the 22, however frustrating such a possibility may remain.

The 32 ‘paths of wisdom’ are the 22 plus the 10, duh.
I think it respectable that you keep up the results of your earlier research. Surely it's based on a complex mental adventure and naturally you have a well-developed defense system to protect youself against too radical changes etc.. which at least should be regarded as "mentally healthy". No problem ....

22 + 10 = 32 .... if your primary impression of the considered object is a sort of summary of two different groups of elements (including subgroups in the two groups), then I would guess, that you didn't completely read and understood or accepted the article I recently pointed upon:

http://trionfi.com/tarot/new-themes/sepher-yetzirah/i-ching.html

From this point of view it becomes apperent, that it not a summary or an addition, but a "whole", which parted by certain cuts in different singular elements, which by their natural mathematical quality can be classifiued in different groups.
This understanding should give a solid chance to lose any fixation upon the the substructures of this whole, for instance the "22"-group.

It's not a problem, that you didn't follow in that way, but I just think, that I should point out, that we have there a difference in our "inner vision" of it. In mine is's clear, that the 22 is not the important object, but the "whole" and that might be expresed with "32".

No, apparently the 32 is derivative of (3+7+12=)22 + 10. Otherwise 32’s chief importance seems to be merely as the arithmetic transition from 16 (sulfur) to 64 (center of ‘rare earths’), judging by the periodic table.

[Edited to say:] Well okay, it IS elegant that 22 and 10 add up to 32: it is a mystery to which I shall devote more attention in future, having belittled it up till now.

Your over-sure-ness here betrays, I think, your method. I feel like one offering a hand-up to one who is on a lower rung and having it rejected... but that’s alright, the offer still stands...

Hm ... what's "low", what's "rung" and to which system of different heights your friendly act refered to in our free democratic internet world, where anybody has any right and any possibility to fill electronic rooms with idleness, wise words or stupid assertions, just with that what he's momentary interested in, just as a king in his kingdom beside other kings with the same individual freedom? ... Of course, I'm always for friendly acts between the spirits in this new media.

venicebard

Huck said:
22 + 10 = 32 .... if your primary impression of the considered object is a sort of summary of two different groups of elements (including subgroups in the two groups), then I would guess, that you didn't completely read and understood or accepted the article I recently pointed upon:

http://trionfi.com/tarot/new-themes/sepher-yetzirah/i-ching.html

From this point of view it becomes apperent, that it not a summary or an addition, but a "whole", which parted by certain cuts in different singular elements, which by their natural mathematical quality can be classifiued in different groups.
This understanding should give a solid chance to lose any fixation upon the the substructures of this whole, for instance the "22"-group.

It's not a problem, that you didn't follow in that way, but I just think, that I should point out, that we have there a difference in our "inner vision" of it. In mine is's clear, that the 22 is not the important object, but the "whole" and that might be expresed with "32".
No, I understood. But in your model as well there turn out to be 10 forms that are balanced yin to yang, 22 that are not. That 'fit' is what makes it so interesting and is why I said I would think further about it. I mean you are certainly right that 32 stands as a unifying principle between the 10 and the 22. But still, they are pulled apart and examined as distinct in Sefer Yetzirah, and I am saying that was for a reason and valid even with knowledge of the unifying 32. It is the 10, though, that mark our progress on the round, the great wheel of life, and the 22 which correlate to physiological stations in man, this perhaps because man is out of balance (being male or female), while the 10, our 'roots', remain in balance to lure us back (to balance).

Hm ... what's "low", what's "rung" and to which system of different heights your friendly act refered to in our free democratic internet world, where anybody has any right and any possibility to fill electronic rooms with idleness, wise words or stupid assertions, just with that what he's momentary interested in, just as a king in his kingdom beside other kings with the same individual freedom? ... Of course, I'm always for friendly acts between the spirits in this new media.
Of course I agree and was just expressing an honest feeling, my impression your focus is too close to the ground in the sense that you have the academic's strong desire to equate the extant with what was. An example of this method 'run amok' in another field is the current sad state of evolution theory, where we are to believe the actual pattern of species follows roughly the fossil record and at the same time to provide our own links between species. I'm not saying your theory is that far gone, only that I sense it cannot be the right one and have tried to inform you why I think so. The crux, really, is that you believe tarot began with nobles and drifted down, while I believe it began amongst commoners and filtered up. But you defend with facts, and I cannot fault you for that. Hopefully we are both the stronger for having 'jousted'.