"Intuition" versus "book learned"

SunChariot

kisou said:
Hello, everyone~

I just wanted to post a small question that has in fact been sort of bothering me as of late and wanted to see what would be everyone else's take on the situation.

Now, when I first started out using tarot I sort of "memorized" the meanings of each card and when I would lay them out, of course what I learned through reading would pop out at me first.

Lately, however, I've been going by more off my intuition on what the picture on the card tells me, even though when I might "look up" the card later in a reference book or online, it's at odds with what I felt the lesson to be. Of course I have been taking into consideration suit, element, astrological qualities, etc., but when it comes down to it, what I feel the card to be is way off base from what books or other sources say it is.

For example, I pulled up a 10 of Pentacles reversed just recently and felt as if the card represented moving away from comforts and luxury and security for something deeper than what is provided by material things. For my particular question, it made sense after some pondering.

Of course, when I "looked it up", something different came up.

So I guess my question is--- how much creedence should be given to intuition versus what you read in a book? Or the other way around.

If it helps anything, I use The Vampire Tarot.

100% creedence, but reading intuitively is a skill and like any skill of course you get better and better at it with practice. I read almost solely intuitively and I have just opened a web site where I will be reading profssionally in this way.

Bar

Grizabella

Querents don't give a rat's booty about dignities and all that book babble. And I don't really suppose that very many querents are going to argue with you about the traditional meanings of the cards. They come to us for the answers that they trust us to be able to give them and they very, very often believe that the way we get that information is magical and psychic rather than "book learning".

If a querent looks at a card and, based on some feeling of recognition they feel for it, they tell me "I think it means something else" besides what I've seen based on intuition and studies I've done, then I defer to what they're thinking and we discuss it. They know themselves and their situation better than I do and I certainly can't argue with what they're seeing for themselves in the cards. I don't tell them that I think I'm right-----who am I to argue with what they've seen for themselves?

mollymawk

--------------------------

euripides

I had another look at the reading and looked up the cards, and I guess I totally misread them. I don't know why I got such bad vibes off cards that should be positive. *Sigh* Three steps forward, two steps back.

Grizabella

Criminy----we're providing a service, folks. Nobody died and elected us God that I've heard of.

"If they don't like it, they can go somewhere else"?

"Don't let a client push you around"?

Both statements are undoubtedly true in a certain sense, but for people expecting to get paid the same price (or higher :rolleyes: ) as a licensed therapist, that's a pretty arrogant attitude to have.

I provide a service. I read for clients because I care very much about their concerns. I think that's what it's all about. Their intuition is as good as mine, and in some cases, it may even be better. I'm not too proud to consider that.

Keigh

Euri - there are times when a querent is pulled to look deeper into a card because it draws them. I may have given them the intuitive response that came to me....but if they're drawn to it, I ask them what they're drawn to in the picture, what is it that strikes them. For example I had a querent who was really pulled to the 5 of swords - in fact she couldn't take her eyes off of it and it made her uncomfortable. I asked her what she saw...and she said a victim and a victor. I asked her who she wanted to be and she had this huge "epiphany" that she could "CHOOSE". I wouldn't have come to that on my own, but rather it was an offshoot of working WITH her. This is a reading that she still remembers and refers to often.

As for someone arguing about what the standard card meaning is supposed to be, I tell them that there is the "book" meaning, which is one of the card's meanings and that it makes sense for her to consider it, but that tarot is a very deeply layered system and that it has meanings that go far beyond a typical paragraph from a book. I suggest that we consider the meaning that popped into my head - my intuitive response - for it may very well be pertinent down the road if not at this moment. That usually works. I also take into account that both meanings may be valid.

Don't think you were wrong, most likely you hit on something that is either in the future, not yet revealed, or that they are not comfortable facing. TRUST YOURSELF!

euripides

Lyric said:
If a querent looks at a card and, based on some feeling of recognition they feel for it, they tell me "I think it means something else" besides what I've seen based on intuition and studies I've done, then I defer to what they're thinking and we discuss it. They know themselves and their situation better than I do and I certainly can't argue with what they're seeing for themselves in the cards.

I think this is true - one of the problems with internet reading - they aren't -seeing- the cards as I read and I'm delivering a 'complete' reading without any sense of dialogue.

As someone just mentioned to me, sometimes denial is a bit of an issue - the querent might only want to see something a certain way, be hoping for a certain outcome - and after all, we all only hear what we want to hear, most of the time, don't we? (How many times did we ignore our parent's good advice because we didn't like it?) - so that's definitely something that needs to be discussed.

Keigh said:
Euri - there are times when a querent is pulled to look deeper into a card because it draws them. I may have given them the intuitive response that came to me....but if they're drawn to it, I ask them what they're drawn to in the picture, what is it that strikes them. For example I had a querent who was really pulled to the 5 of swords (...) I asked her what she saw...and she said a victim and a victor. I asked her who she wanted to be and she had this huge "epiphany" that she could "CHOOSE". ...

This is important - I've been reading about colour symbolism and (a bit like the 'absence of a suit' from a spread) the aversion to a colour and desire for a colour both tell something about yourself.

I tell them that there is the "book" meaning, which is one of the card's meanings and that it makes sense for her to consider it, but that tarot is a very deeply layered system and that it has meanings that go far beyond a typical paragraph from a book. (...)

Don't think you were wrong, most likely you hit on something that is either in the future, not yet revealed, or that they are not comfortable facing. TRUST YOURSELF!

That's a useful approach. I'm very aware of the layers of meaning, funny that it shouldn't occur to me to point this out. Mine were certainly departing from the stock-standard meanings ... and I'm still learning to trust the intuition. I've spent too long ignoring it, drowning it out.

I think more than anything I do need to get out and do some face-to-face reading, to have that dialogue and explore the possibilities, to hear their voice as they explain their situation, be able to see someone's reactions to the cards as they turn over. Actually give the intuition something to work with!

mollymawk

-----------------------

mollymawk

-------------------------

Nholdamek

Lyric said:
Criminy----we're providing a service, folks. Nobody died and elected us God that I've heard of.

"If they don't like it, they can go somewhere else"?

"Don't let a client push you around"?

Both statements are undoubtedly true in a certain sense, but for people expecting to get paid the same price (or higher :rolleyes: ) as a licensed therapist, that's a pretty arrogant attitude to have.

I provide a service. I read for clients because I care very much about their concerns. I think that's what it's all about. Their intuition is as good as mine, and in some cases, it may even be better. I'm not too proud to consider that.

Assuming your first statement is refering to what I said.

OK, if I read a certain card and the querent interrupts and says "No no, that card is supposed to mean x, not y", well, I'm sorry but again, they're paying me to do the reading. of course again if they see something in the cards that makes sense to them that's one thing, but to argue because they think I should interpret it according to what they say is the book meaning?...no...that'd be like me going to a doctor and saying "I'm sorry but I think you're totally wrong."

I don't think it's arrogant. Of course I wouldn't put it to them that harshly, and of course we're providing a service and should work with them. It's a fine line I guess