"Intuition" versus "book learned"

starrystarrynight

Umbrae said:
She turned it over. It matched the final card of her previous reading.

She kinda freaked.
Ha! This has happened to me, too. A very skeptical person couldn't believe I knew what I was talking about (which, of course, meant I was right on the money.) He grabbed the deck out of my hands (not forcefully or literally...but I say it that way for emphasis :)) and challenged me to tell him what card he was about to cut to.

The way the reading went, I said "Eight of Swords". That had to be the crux of the reading...and of his skepticism...

and...of course, the Eight of Swords came out at the cut.

How do these things happen? Who knows? That is the beauty and mystery, isn't it?

Apocalipstick

Heh. Just because they're unexplained, doesn't mean there isn't a very precise process by which they occur.

Trusting in the invisible process -- that's what counts.

Umbrae

Apocalipstick said:
Trusting in the invisible process -- that's what counts.
…and good communication skills.

Saburo

It is kind of interesting. When I started with my deck, I would even carry around a little print out with the card meanings. Now, I'm getting so accurate with simple intuition it astonishes me. Drawing out a paragraph from a single touchstone draw or placing cards based on intuition and not some set spread. (Although I do dabble in a few spreads occasionally.)

mollymawk

--------------------

Umbrae

Umbrae said:
What the hell is intuition anyways...stupid word.

I wondered about that some time ago.

See here's the deal. What IS intuition? What IS psychic? We've mixed up and jumbled up the whole deal and put it as the antithesis of formal (book) learning and...

I think we need to step back and find a place where we can agree on What intuition is, and what it is not.

But that's only my opinion.

Apocalipstick

I think it might be easier to agree on what it's not, than on what it is.

Grizabella

Aren't we just nit-picking here? Doing what I call analysis paralysis? What it is is a word people use for "hearing" what the cards say without relying on memorized meanings. It's just that simple. Umbrae may think it's a "stupid word", but does he have a better one?

kisou asked how much credence do we give to it. She used the word intuition and we know what she meant by the use of that word, so let's go with it and continue to answer how much credence we give to it as opposed to what the book says.

I'm saying this as a member, not a moderator, by the way.

mollymawk

---------------------

Grizabella

But the question wasn't "what is intuition?" It's how much credence do you give to that "thing"---call it what you will--as opposed to book meanings? That's what she asked.

So how much credence DO you give it as opposed to book meanings?

For me, I give it more credence.