Question about Crystal Balls

thorhammer

In that case, WF, I'd quieten, meditate, whatever you do, then look at the ball and watch the reflections in it. Maybe have a candle nearby with a bit of a draft going through to make it flicker to get things started. Then just kind of unfocus, like you do with those 3D pictures you used to get, you know the ones? When I'm mirror-scrying, that's how I do it. It gets hard to let the images flow, they get kind of scary, but eventually you get the hang of it.

\m/ Kat

Waterfaery

Thanks so much! I've been trying this off an on for years. I get frustrated after a month or two and give up for a while, but it always draws me back. ;)

Guiding Cauldron

waterfaery :)

Lovely name by the way :) Just wanted you to know that if this sort of scrying is an intrest to you, defienetly keep trying!

To be honest I started scrying before I actually knew what it was! I could just see images, in bath bubles, coffe cream swirlings, hot chocolate milky cream swirls, etc..

Last year I was gifted an absolutely elegant ball paperweight, it has a gorgeous swirled blues and greens at the base then half way up theres this tiny lil bubble floating within the whole sphere. This was given to me by a non pagan, so the thought was a gift honestly as a paperweight!!

I LOVE the fab balls that are out there, however I can NOT afford a "real" one.

However I saw my paperweight and thought "i wonder if this would make a great crystal ball" I remember asking around AT for some help as well, got some great advice. I also remember finding it working when I thought of those "magic eye"pictures out there. The kind where its a blur of colors but if you just let go and relax a hidden picture pops out for you to see. I LOVE those and if you can see those scrying is a piece of cake :)

Maybe you can get a book like that to start, and practice with that until you get used to the way your eyes focus on them, then try on your ball.

I also found that if I have a candle glowing near by the ball, it helps me to see better as well. be prepared for the unexpected too. I thought I would be able to see in the whole sphere, but instead I have found the lil bubble inside is actually where I can see images,pictures, scenes etc. I have also found it easier to see in the ball for me to be in the daytime in subtle light, or twilight time in the evening. I havent been able to see in REALLY dark lighting as yet, meaning just by candle light.

My eye sight is horrible as well, without my contacts or glasses i'm as blind as a bat too, I see shapes but I cant give you details!

This does take perseverance but I found that when I didnt try so hard, it just sort of happened :)

Hope this helps a lil bit and bright blesings to you, you'll get there I'm sure :)

stella01904

Waterfaery said:
Thanks for the book list. Will definitely be looking for those.

My crystal is 105mm diameter. It's really beautiful. Most of the reference materials I've found thus far keep saying to look into the striations or bubbles. Mine doesn't have any of that. Just a completely clear ball.
The size sounds perfect. Three or four inches across is generally considered ideal - small enough to easily block reflections, but large enough so as not to strain the eyes.

The older reference works advise against choosing a sphere with bubbles, occusions, etc. You want to gaze into a clear depth. I sometimes use a smokey quartz sphere with a few "veils" in it, but the light level is so low that the veils are not visible. There are a few people who get better results using a point de repère, i.e., a little spot of some kind to keep the eyes from wandering. But you can get this effect easily enough, if you want it, by allowing a very small spot of reflected light to remain on the ball.

I don't think that gazing at striations is conducive to generating a crystal vision.
I suspect this bit of lore got started by some writer who also happened to have a shop - which happened to sell stone spheres with lots of striations, occulsions, veils, fractures, etc., lol!

stella01904

Just wanted to mention, in my own experience I have never gotten results using candlelight, the flickering actually seems to prevent results. I like a dim, steady light, twilight or moonlight are ideal, though the light level indoors when it is very overcast and stormy outside is good, too.

Simply look into the crystal steadily, blinking as much as you need to. In time you'll notice little pinpoints of light, like stars, or swirly clouds. The crystal might disappear into a velvety blackness. The pictures will come in time.

Enjoy!

Waterfaery

And that's another detail that all the books argue about. Light level. So far I've only tried by candlelight. Another thing I keep running across is that most of them tell you never to scry at night. Seems odd to me considering the Moon rules the world of intuition, dreams, and divination. Looks like that would be best time to do it. Or maybe since I view it that way, maybe just the best time for me. ;)

serenaserendipity

scrying, crystals, channelling...

hi waterfaery,

i had the honor of having a VERY amazing reading done by you recently, so being familiar with your extremely talented intuitive nature, i felt inclined to add my two cents...

i personally think everyone has their own personal elements and modalities that they work best with, for channelling or what have you...

my daughter and my boyfriend are both really into rocks and crystals... they really feel the special energy of the crystal...

but i'm not as earthy, i am more watery and emotional... i can feel people's emotions whether i want to or not and have to guard or ground myself by dressing in a way that enhances my spirit when i go out in public, otherwise i get overwhelmed...

i can channel easily with cards or with i-ching...

but i was thinking since you are already so intuitive with the modalities you are working with (tarot, runes, numerology) that scrying might not be your thing... maybe it's not your element

OR
perhaps you are used to using TOOLS for channelling like cards or stones... and a scrying tool is much more broad and openbased... it lacks the fixed concepts, arranged in endless combinations, that is represented by the tarot, etc...

i haven't tryed scrying with a crystal ball but i have tried meditating with crystals and they usually help me to sense and see more truely if i hold them in my hand and quiet my mind and try to put my feelers out to what is going on.

also i have tried scrying with turkish coffee grounds and that is really about seeing images in the bottom of a dark pool... similar to a crystal ball...

you almost have to cross your eyes a little bit, like looking at a rorsarsch blot, to stop seeing and to see INSIDe your mind's eye

but it's definitely hard to differentiate what's intuition and what's projection

to help make sure it's intuition and not projection, i would maybe try a crystal ball made of actual crystal, like a ball of smokey quartz or something like that.
because the energy of the crystal will help ground you and make sure you are seeing truth...

maybe when i see my b.f. again i will ask him, after sharing the reading you gave me, if we can give you one of ours...

b.f. is always buying crystals and giving them away so we have a lot of them lying around!

sorry to be so random and tangential, just thought i'd add a few thoughts...
i don't mean to discourage you from crystal scrying, i was just trying to help think of reason why it might be not flowing as easily. for example, i am far better at swimming than running...

sincerely,

serena

Waterfaery

serenaserendipity said:
hi waterfaery,

i had the honor of having a VERY amazing reading done by you recently, so being familiar with your extremely talented intuitive nature, i felt inclined to add my two cents...

Heavens, thank you!

serenaserendipity said:
but i'm not as earthy, i am more watery and emotional... i can feel people's emotions whether i want to or not and have to guard or ground myself by dressing in a way that enhances my spirit when i go out in public, otherwise i get overwhelmed...

Same here

serenaserendipity said:
maybe when i see my b.f. again i will ask him, after sharing the reading you gave me, if we can give you one of ours... b.f. is always buying crystals and giving them away so we have a lot of them lying around!

That would be lovely, Serena. Thank you.

serenaserendipity said:
sorry to be so random and tangential, just thought i'd add a few thoughts...
i don't mean to discourage you from crystal scrying, i was just trying to help think of reason why it might be not flowing as easily. for example, i am far better at swimming than running...

sincerely,

serena

You weren't, and thanks for the input. Being an empath I'm water as well, so that may have a good bit to do with it, who knows? I'm gonna keep trying, though.

stella01904

Waterfaery said:
And that's another detail that all the books argue about. Light level. So far I've only tried by candlelight. Another thing I keep running across is that most of them tell you never to scry at night. Seems odd to me considering the Moon rules the world of intuition, dreams, and divination. Looks like that would be best time to do it. Or maybe since I view it that way, maybe just the best time for me. ;)
Night is fine! I've seen a similar warning that from 10 pm until 2 am is considered the "worst time" - no reason given, no source cited, and it just got copied from
book to book. Makes me wonder how many of these later writers even tried.

As for the earlier works, I think I should mention that Melville and Achad bring a bit of a ceremonial aspect to the process, none of this is necessary at all! Unless, like John Dee and Edward Kelly, you are trying to compel the presence of an angel into the crystal!!! Simply sitting and gazing is enough. You will find that your mind starts to wander at times. When it does, re-direct it to the crystal. This is what trains your mind to react to it automatically.
It's all you need. :)

Waterfaery

Thank you everyone for the input. You've all been a tremendous help. I'm going to keep trying and we'll see what develops ;)