The card on the bottom of the deck?

weaver

I always pull the bottom card, too! I first learned of this technique through one of Llewellyn's emailings which, at the time, was written by Barbara Moore. She indicated drawing the bottom card could help bring clarity to the rest of the spread and I have always considered it the "underlying influence" card.

Once I tried her technique, I found it worked so well, I have always included the base card as the final card I pull ever since. Sometimes it can really help crystalize and bring clarity and focus a reading!

weaver

poivre

Don't know why but...
I always look, just have to know what it is! :laugh:
It's like something else that needs to be voiced.
Always read with it.

I'm going to try what Elven said about going back
until I find a Major card. This is great!!! :)

Papageno

weaver said:
I always pull the bottom card, too! I first learned of this technique through one of Llewellyn's emailings which, at the time, was written by Barbara Moore. She indicated drawing the bottom card could help bring clarity to the rest of the spread and I have always considered it the "underlying influence" card.

Once I tried her technique, I found it worked so well, I have always included the base card as the final card I pull ever since. Sometimes it can really help crystalize and bring clarity and focus a reading!

weaver

hmmmm. that's interesting. I like Barbara Moore, I only know of her through the Gilded Tarot companion book and I like it a lot.

Heavensent

I look at the bottom card when I feel 'pulled' to do it. I also look at the top card on the deck as well and it usually goes quite well with the reading.

Ann Yu

Can I draw it (in purpose) in my readings?

Danica_Nyx

whenever i shuffle i feel compelled to look at the bottom card being shuffled and pick out one or two, in my mind, that stand out to me before i do a reading. sometimes certain cards just stick with out any rhyme or reason.
one thing i don't so is draw it in my reading, partly because i know what it is and i feel like the reading would be altered than what it should be

Merenwen

When I started, I used to shuffle the cards and use the top cards for the spread. I found the bottom card to be very revealing, either on a related note, or as a message in general. Something I needed to know.

Since I've changed to shuffle and fan method of picking cards, I've not found it add as much value.

firecatpickles

I think people have already descirbed what it does very well.

In the Tarot de la réa, Bocher calls it the "heel" card, like the heel of a foot. I just love this terminology...

thorhammer

weaver said:
. . . and I have always considered it the "underlying influence" card.
I call it the Shadow card, and think of it as the underlying influence, too, but with a bit more of a sinister, cynical turn. I see it as kind of a rip tide, an undercurrent that you can't see (till you look at the card) but that might just turn everything awry from what you see in the "top" cards. I think it adds to a reading, as a kind of Appendix. :D

\m/ Kat

Aladdin

bottom card.

The place i read in is a bit cramped for space which is why i've evolved a very simple linear style of four cards with no particular positional meanings for answering specific questions.
After spreading all the pack and choosing my four cards, i take the far left one and place to the left. This i deem to be 'additional information of the recent past', let's say about a week.
Finally i place the bottom card to the right as any information regarding now or the very near future, no longer than a week anyway.
Always the images are very informative, often revealing with sometimes very literal accuracy. Some cards may just act as feeders to others but i now have an active appreciation of the bottom card and have practiced this seemingly natural way of reading for several years.