The Lovers and the two of Cups

Alta

Wow!
I am going to have to re-read those three responses a couple to times to get everything out of them! Thanks.
I am a Robin Woods deck fan and I like her book a lot too... curiously, for those who see a lot in coincidence, about a third of the Cups pages in my copy are blank... a printing error.

arizonagirl: I liked your example of when a card doesn't always show its usual meaning. I find the I Ching like that too... sometimes I just open the book at random when I need a quick response, and seeing a sentence totally out of the usual I Ching context hits the answer. Makes you think your brain picked that card for the symbol over the couple.
Talisman: thanks, good pep talk. One thing all these responses, plus causing me to actually look at this area, are doing is to make me think what I really want in this area. After 24 years of married life, I am wondering if what I really want is friends. And I seem to get a lot of nourishment that way. At the very least, it has opened up that area for me so I can at least look at it a bit better!
Nexyjo: hehe, yes. Don't anyone form a wrong opinion of me because of my post about relativism. I must have not expressed myself very well. Basically I am a scientific person with a mystical/intuitive streak a mile wide.
I cannot thank you enough for those responses.

MeeWah

ArizonaGirl: Your interpretation is a perfect example of making the leap from rote to inspiration/intuition! I love it!!

purplelady

arizoniagirl-it is very interesting how you came to your decision with the tarot reading! But however you came to it, I would definitely say you made the right choice to call the police.If you let it go, that person could easily be doing the same thing to someone else right now.

la_dama_de_noche

Dear Marion,
My interpretation of The Lovers is maybe a little different but I think it might help in understanding your situation, it is based on Conver's Tarot de Marseille and on the study of the Sacred Name of God, on Geomancy etc.and is made on three different levels: NUMBER - IMAGE - NAME
First we have to consider the position of number six in the three series of numbers from one to nine.
We know that the letters which form the name YOD-HE-VAU-HE represent the guideline to understand numbers, being YOD the active principle, HE the passive one and VAU being the symbol of the equilibrium.
YOD is 1
HE is 2
VAU is 3
as well as the 1st series of three numbers is dedicated to the active and creative principle
the 2nd series is the one of the passive principle
and the 3rd refers to the equilibrium.
This leads us to the conclusion that
1 is the beginning of something new
2 is the opposition to this beginning and
3 ist the equilibrium of something new which consolidates
while
4 is the beginning of an opposition
5 is the opposition to the opposition and
6 is the equilibrium of the opposition that is the consolidation of the opposition
and
7 is the beginning of equilibrium
8 is the opposition to equilibrium and at last
9 is the equilibrium of equilibrium

Now as we are interested in number VI, we have already seen how six represents the maximum of opposition to what we wish and indicates that we are living an epoch of our life where things don't move and no changes are to be espected.
In fact, when we pass to examine the image, which must be considered in relationship with the one which comes before and the one that follows, plus the card XX which shows us in a certain way a different aspect of the same concept, we have to notice what follows:
if number V, due to the representation of an enormous figure dominating two small ones and the meanings of the five pointed star of the Pentacle, is the description of the power of Spirit over material things, and VII is the description of the power of the Illuminate (the Prince) over animal instincts (the horses), VI show us the Pupil drawn of the same size as the two women representing temptations, the intention of the Author being that of showing us the Pupil in the act of forgetting the true purposes of his Voyage through the Reign of the Deads in search of Truth.
Actually the character who appears up above is often misinterpreted: he is not Cupid but the Genius of Justice ready to throw his arrow to punish he who won't choose in the correct way, and this character will appear in his full splendour in card XX as the Angel of Justice calling up souls on Doom's Day and where the Pupil has transformed himself in the Adept.
As refers to the name of the card, it's important to consider the Original Tarot deck which, in his first version, isn't LES AMOUREUX the translation of which is THE LOVERS.
The original name, before the misinterpretation, is LAMOUREUX which is a very common name in France, it's obvious, then, that the intention of the Author is making a pun and the message is: even if the three charecters may seem lovers...THEY AREN'T.
My advise, Marion, is that you meditate over the reasons of this situation, try and find out them and correct your attitude, don't be anxious and remember that love comes when we are relaxed. When VI appears, especially if accompanied by 2, which, according to the Tetragramaton, is the opposition to the beginning, means that you aren't ready to start a new period of your life...meditate and you'll find the reasons.
I hope my English is not too bad and that you've understood me.
La Dama de Noche

Talisman

Marion,

You said that your Robin Wood deck has a printing error and many of the Cups pages are blank.

Robin has a website, livingtree or something or other, I'm sure a search engine will quickly turn it up. If you wrote or emailed her I am sure she would gladly exchange your defective book for a complete one, and probably sign the new book in the bargain. Wow!

Alas, nexyjo, I don't think all the imagination and expectations in the world will help you win the lottery. Nevertheless, I always liked the Henry Ford quote, "Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're probably right."

Me, I'm a pessimist. I always expect a calamity. That's safe because then a mere misfortune arrives as good news.

Talisman
The secret to magic is knowing what to wish for. If you wish for things you're not going to get, your magic will never work.

Talisman

La Dama de Noche,

A thought provoking post!

Talisman

la_dama_de_noche

Talisman

I would appeciate a little more discussion about the subject...

La Dama de Noche

Talisman

"I would appeciate a little more discussion about the subject..."

La Dama de Noche,

I would too! I am sorry, but I am not equipped to offer it. But just wait. Someone will be. You are dealing with things far beyond my ability to respond intelligently to. Numerology and the Kabbala (however you spell it) are simply outside my realm.

Your response deserved far better than that. Sorry I was not able to offer it.

Talisman

la_dama_de_noche

Talisman

Enter that realm and you'll find the key to Tarot and Eternity.....

La Dama de Noche

Alta

Dear la_dame_de_noche,
I just read your wonderful response, and can only second talisman's comments. I do not think I know anything like enough about that area to even begin to discuss it, but it was a thoughtful commentary, with some good personal advice at the end!