Top 10 Decks published in 2012

Le Fanu

The Gilded Royale for surprising me and becoming a favourite, effortless reading deck.

Mary-El for strangeness and for being so tantalising (still haven´t got to the bottom of it and cannot say I read with it easily).

However... the Daniloff might just be the winner for me. It has artwork that is streets ahead of so much tarot artwork. Seriously rich and sumptuous. Quite something. It costs a lot but I do think it is worth the money. I know this is one purchase I shall not regret.

LotusSong

Picking between the Mary-El and the Wild Unknown is going to be really hard for me. e.o

Chiriku

The Incidental Tarot was quite charming and different to many recently published decks (it has both re-named/reconceptualized Majors and numbered Minors that manage to be non-scenic yet RWS-y at the same time). I suppose if hard-pressed, I'd pick that one as well as any other new one this year.

To be honest, for my tastes, I did not feel that there was a big mover and shaker, content-wise, this year as there was last year with Tarot of the Holy Light. However, I recognize that for many people this year, the Mary-El fits that role...its aesthetic and ethos are simply not for me, so I didn't buy it.

I very seriously considered the Daniloff but did not buy it because I felt it was too RWS-heavy for me to be able to justify the expense. If I were to make a decision based on artwork alone, I would choose this deck.

I also know that many people felt a powerful connection with the Wild Unknown. I was one of the first to grab it and I find it a worthy addition (and an excellently printed one) to the tarot canon, but I never expected it to be a knock-my-socks off deck for me, and it wasn't.

I've been sitting on this for a few months because I still need to examine the deck carefully, but I in fact came into possession of the Gilded Royale later than most this year, having dipped my toe back into the fraught digital art pool I'd rejected years ago when I'd divested myself of the original Gilded (the toe-dipping involved a carefully-considered purchase of a mass-market Legacy of the Divine). A number of factors played into my equally careful decision to acquire the Royale despite my doggedly negative impression of the original--too many to name here. But as I've not yet had a chance to closely investigate, I will withhold judgment on it for the time being. I will say only that it is a much better deck than the original Gilded.

So, for now, I will say the Incidental Tarot despite my not being over-the moon bowled over by it because (a) decks--even my most cherished ones--- simply never bowl me over to that extent; I think I was born without the love-at-first-sight gene; and (b) it was doing something a bit different and I feel the (self-published) artist deserves recognition for that.

Chiriku

Sigh.

As far as I can make it:

Angel Tarot Cards
Antonio Possenti: I Tarocchi (22)
Art of Life Tarot
Black Fantasy Tarot
Book of Azathoth Tarot
Book of Shadows Tarot (kit)
"Book of Shadows Tarot volume 1 (""as above"")"
Celestial Stick People
Collective Tarot
Cora’s Psychedelic Tarot (22)
Dark Carnival Tarot
Dark Fairytale Tarot
Deck of Heroes
Dreaming Way Tarot
Efflorescent Tarot (2 versions)
Fabrication Tarot
Fialko Tarot (22)
Ghosts and Spirits Tarot
Gilded Tarot Royale
Halloween Tarot (22)
Hexen2.0 Tarot
Hobbit Tarot
Incidental Tarot
Lazy Afternoon Tarot
Light Grey Tarot
Lost Tarot (irreg)
Lost Tarot of Nostradamus
Lowbrow Tarot (22)
MajorArcana tarrotSet (22)
Mary-El Tarot
Michelangelo Tarot
Oracle Tarot Deck
Pierre Madenié Tarot
Rainbow Travellers Tarot
Robotarot
Royo Dark Tarot
Sacred Indian Tarot (22)
Sacred Sites Tarot
Savage Tarot
Silent Tarot
Silent Tarot
Simply Deep Tarot
Sirian Starseed Tarot
Son Tarot
Steampunk Tarot
Steampunk Tarot
Stolen Child Tarot (22)
Stuckist Tarot (22)
Tarot by Alexander Daniloff (22)
Tarot by Alexander Daniloff
Tarot Collectors Forum Challenge Deck (22)
Tarot de Jacques Viéville (22)
Tarot de Mars (22)
Tarot Jacques Vieville
Tarot of the Absurd
Tarot of the Tattoo Age
Trilateral Tarot (22)
Triomphes de Paris (22) - mini
Triomphes MMXII (22)
Victorian Romantic Tarot 2nd edition
Victorian Romantic Tarot 2nd edition mini
WiccaMoon Tarot
Wild Unknown Tarot
Witches Tarot
Wonderland Tarot (22)
Zombie Apocalypse Tarot
Zombie Tarot

Thanks for this. Didn't the Lisa Chow deck come out this year? That's a proper tarot, correct?

By the way, did you and Le Fanu buy the Wild Unknown? I'd be interested to know why or why not.

Winterchild

Wild Unknown
Victorian Romantic Second Edition
Zombie Tarot
Zombie Apocalypse
Witches })

gregory

Thanks for this. Didn't the Lisa Chow deck come out this year? That's a proper tarot, correct?

By the way, did you and Le Fanu buy the Wild Unknown? I'd be interested to know why or why not.

I did - can't speak for him.

And yes - but she called it the Oracle tarot - which is how I listed it.

Rhinemaiden

My top decks for 2012:

Tarot of the Absurd
The Wild Unknown
Victorian Romantic 2nd edition

Chiriku

Thanks, gregory.

shadowdancer

well, I am going to sidle in, shout loud ZOMBIES!! and then run again. I have got kinda fond of those ugly mutts.

Davina