Votes: 31 39.7%
  • I spread them in a surface and swirl them around

Votes: 7 9.0%
  • I change my shuffling methods, I don't just stick to one

Votes: 25 32.1%

• Total voters

easyboy82

Overhand shuffle and 2-piles cut.

If I read for someone else I don't allow them to shuffle the deck but only to cut it or I can ask them to choose the cards from the deck spread in a fan .

6 Haunted Days

Wow, the majority so far riffle shuffle!!

All my 21 years in Tarot, for some strange reason, it's never occured to me riffle shuffle. I do playing cards, in fact, because of my dad I have quite the many fancy card shuffle methods (he did card tricks and magic).

Perhaps because to me Tarot cards are on a different level, a whole other realm to me. I shuffle as a meditative, relaxing practice as well....to feel the cards, caress them lovingly and infuse my energy and being into them.

And riffle shuffling would just damage and cause such wear and tear on my cards in shorter a time, imo.

But I think it comes down to respect. Because I grew up with tons of card games, card tricks....just playing around with them, that when I got involved with Tarot....they just were so different to me than playing cards that I couldn't treat them the same way.

Frannie

I riffle shuffle some of my decks, the ones that are thin, but are of very good quality, like my VR :D but I have a problem when putting them on a fan for the querent to choose... I divide the deck in 3 piles, the take each and fan them in vertical, then beneath with the third stack and so with the third.... but it takes so much time! I get nervous thinking that the querent will get impatient... ughh

Umbrae

Frannie said:
...but I have a problem when putting them on a fan for the querent to choose...
Use a washable velvet spreadcloth. then run your cards out in a ribbon - have the sitter slide the cards out.

inuzrule

According to wikipedia (wiki solves everything, doesn't it?) I use the "stripping, overhand, or slide shuffle, where small groups of cards are removed from the top or bottom of a deck and replaced on the opposite side".

I cannot riffle shuffle to save my life, although I have attempted at times. It's very hard for me to do, and I fear bending the cards or dropping several onto the floor. :(

I also divide the cards into three piles after I have shuffled, as an extra measure.

Silverlyn

Can't shuffle!

You know: I have a real problem with this:

My hands are too small to shuffle most Tarot decks (except Favole)!

You know where you split them into two piles and have one pile in each hand, then you bend them and meet them together while shuffling?

You guys know what I mean, right?

Well, I cannot do that, so as a result, NONE of my decks are bent!?

I need a good alternative method for shuffling, guys, HELP!

Silverlyn

6 Haunted Days

Silverlyn said:
You know: I have a real problem with this:

My hands are too small to shuffle most Tarot decks (except Favole)!

You know where you split them into two piles and have one pile in each hand, then you bend them and meet them together while shuffling?

You guys know what I mean, right?

Well, I cannot do that, so as a result, NONE of my decks are bent!?

I need a good alternative method for shuffling, guys, HELP!

Silverlyn

That's riffle shuffling. You don't need to do that, I've never done it! Why do you want a bent deck?! Riffling is hard on decks. Just shuffle overhand and others ways. Riffling is only 1 way among many for shuffling.

Frannie

Thanks for the advice Umbrae! I was wondering one thing though.... when you fan them, do you lay the cards in "the shape" of a fan, or verticaly spread them like a fan??

Frannie

Overhand shuffle in a surface was good for me before I learnt how to riffle shuffle ;)

Anam Cara

It varies, but I riffle shuffle more than anything else.
I like how the riffle shuffle "breaks" a deck in...
I'm careful with my shuffling, as to not damage the deck,
but prefer my decks to not have that like-new stiffness.

Interesting thread!
:heart:cara