Deck of the Dreamers 2010

HOLMES

starting with the suit of aces

ace of cups

I like the flow of light upwards from the ace of cups and the blue motiff that for me represents water.
the only thing I personally would change is to have the light be like an overflowing light into the ace of cups.
i don't know what those little structures are at the bottom to me they are suppose to be little cups, which takes away the ace of cups motiff for the ace is alone. you could take the flowers inside the cups and put it at the side perhaps.

two of cups
I like the image of dancing here, if you would be inspired perhaps if you are going for an illustrated tarot, you could put two figures dancing with big cups in their respective hands around each other necks.
as an half illustrated tarot i would keep this imagery perhaps put hands around the cups but it doens't need it.

(note since you have did it here, you should put two people doing something in each two cards, aka in swords they are shaking hands, in wands they besides each other with wands, and in pentacles they are side by side working on two pentacles held together).

three of cups.
if you are going for a half illustrated imagery, this could work,, i would change it personally to put a difernt woman archtype on each tarot
note first in a this suite i seen differnt use of colour..
then i would go back and change the flowers in the ace of cups so they stand out perhaps roses.
i feel here there could be 3 hands around each card and the cards could be banging together as in cheers.

four of cups
not bad imagery , how it doesn't represent the bored aspect of being too partied out. , here it reminds me of a ten of wands and we shouldnt' want that.
have you considered a man laying down passed out with one cup on his head and two in his hands and one with a hand on it turned over dropping liquid on him to wake him up.
i have no half illustrated imagery for this

five of cups.
I love the broken cups,
if you are going for a half illustrated look i would knock them down , the broken ones.
and for illustrated two broken cups lying down, three standing up and perhaps a little figure crying by the broken cups with his back to the three cups. also you could show the three cups still being full by putting froth on their tops.

six of cups
this imagery doens't work here,

how about six cups in a circle and two childhood sweets in the middle playing a game. that is I thought about when i looked at your cards.
for a half illustrated look two baby cups clanking together,, while two cards on each side pushing them together like friends pushings two couples together.

7 of cups
i was thinking about 5 cups above the man , with a blue mist around them,,
and two beneath them with a mist below them.
and one cups a design on the side to represent the 7 deadly sins or 7 virtues.
if we kept the middle man.
see in this card it is about there are too many choices and he doesn't know what he wants, and it could be about dreaming.
so the mist would be like the cups are dreamily to him. and he is fanatising about them.

if you were to illustrated it,, have you ever seen jesus christ superstar where he holds his right hand up up to the sky and there is clouds.
well you could put a little figre like that on the bottom left and the 7 cups with the 7 desires in them floating in the clouds.

8 of cups
see the whole idea here for this card is that he is strong enough to walk away from the cups,, it is just time.

you should have the 8 of cups in the line there, and perhaps he is walking away deterimined right hand forward and leaning forward. or perhaps he is jigging away ehehe

9 of cups.

the man looking towards the cups that would be a better motiff for the 7 of cups.
if you turned him around and put a crazy grin and he is inviting you to come get a cup perhaps with his hands to the side like he is presenting them to you. like he is a butler or perhaps the host of the party.

10 of cups
almost perfect

i would put the guy other hand around the women, or have them look at each other with love int heir eyes just be kissing.
conversely you could have them old here and perhaps put a glow around the cups.

(listen to shania twain for ever and for always and perhaps these could be the two who dance in the cup of cups, and the propsed children playing in six of hearts and now they are together in their old age )

page of cups
i like it,, perhaps change the face so it is assexual so it could represent girls as well.

knight of cups
no knight

i would have him racing towards a woman with a cup in his hand put some hearts in his eyes eheh.

queen of cups
i can see where you are going here, but for me the old idea of the page of cups looking at himself to know himself really stands out for me and should be the motiff for himself.
so i would change this to reflect some sort of pure emotion cups.
perhaps have the woman be a cup
you don't know this problay or you did once in your study and moved on..
the queen is water in water, so you could have a cup with a women holding it in water and she is flowing with the water.

also in your redesign of this deck, you should be thinking of what kind of woman you are trying to portray , the ideal loving archetype of a women who is very regal in her love but her heart is so big she can forgive everyone.

king of cups.
the fire within the water, aka steam.
he is such a loving man that he can express his spirituality to others.
but reversed he can be very socially manipulative and emotioanly others listen to him due to his charisma
this is hard to get from a picture of a guy face in the cup,
thank an actor who can act from his heart that he moves others, or a poet who with his very words can make others heart melt.
or a blues singer who is singing and people feel his emotion.
of course after he is done expressing his heart ,, he is just a man with the problems as everyone else.
so this one would need work, i have no ideas but perhaps the descriptive can help you.

EthanJamesPetty

HOLMES said:
if that is so i would leave it like that , and save one based on indepth tarot study for your second deck if you feel inspired to make another on this one.
also as far as i know your creation is an act of love eh,, or do you have a publisher lined up ?
i so hope you got a publiser lined up, also if you do get a publisher, DO NOT LET THEM PUT ON BORDERS.
your deck would look so much better here without borders :).
ok in next post i will start looking at the cards.

I don't have a publisher, no - but you're correct that I'm doing this as an artist rather than a student of the tarot. I enjoy the challenge of creating something this big and the "required" symbolism just makes it more fun to do. I was planning to get the whole deck finished and then look for a publisher... is there another way? Can you get an agreement before a deck is finished?

I'm not sure what choice I would have on the borders, either... I guess I could submit them without the borders at all and see how that goes, but I was planning to put the numbers on the top, outside the frame.

EthanJamesPetty

HOLMES said:
ace of cups... etc.

Wow, thanks for the tremendous amount of feedback. I'm going to read through all of it (and save it to a doc) so I have some reference when I attack the minors. I really appreciate the comments and I'll definitely use them to influence the work!

HOLMES

the pentacles

pentacles is earthly..
i am thinking of rusty red, or a sort of earthly red like redwood that would best represent this suit colour. a red brown that attracts the eye.

ace of pentacles.
I like this card imagery..
perhpas you could have it growing from the ground and have gia hand offer it up. or in a tree form.
or on top of a mountain as pentacles problay work with stuff from the mountain in their craft.

two of pentacles
I would add a man helping him get up to the top pentacle and perhaps tie a rope around the second pentacle so the man is trying to put it up.
alternatively you could have two pentacles facing each other and two men in the middle and they are shaking eother as the two pentacles have a light coming out fo them towards each other so the men are bathed in the light of the pentacles.

three of pentacles
this imagery doens't work,, the three of pentacles is about study to some and mastership to others.
perhpas you could show three people at their decks with a pentacle in their hands as they study it.
or a man working on one pentacle with two pentacles floating around his head in a thought bubble.

four of pentacles
i had an good idea for this,, show four pentacles busttting out of a door and he is trying to hold them back.
instead of reach for them, he is trying to keep them from breaking loose so people dont' see his gifts or know he has more then he says he has.

five of pentacles.
i like this imagery..
perhaps have a person laying down behind him trying to cover her eyes with a hand so she doens't see the pentacle fall on her and and some snow in the background..
oohh and have them in a pit and they were trying to use the pentacles to get out.

six of pentacles
the image being portrayed by the two people here i could see for a five of swords card.

i would have him with five pentacles above him as he holds one out to the girl who eaglery accepts it.

7 of pentacles
I like where you are going with here. perhpas this will help the 7 of pentacles is about timing,, when shall the chariot come into the physical world.
so perhaps have the 7 of pentacles on a calender instead with the 7 pentacle being circled.
or some other issue of timing you could come up with it.
if he is too late , the crops will be ruined, if too early some crops won't be ripe enough.
if he is too late, he misses his business opportunity and too early and he comes on to forceful in politics caushing the deal to go his competitor.
if you could change that a tiny bit to reflect this it would be perfect.

8 of pentacles
that looks more like a judge hammer to me then a blacksmith.
here is a cookie idea,, have six pentacles to the side with some cream in the middle, and a man putting two pentacles like he is glowing them together .
perhaps being very careful like he is a jeweller ,, or with all his might like he is hercules.

9 of pentacles.
i like this motiff,,
i would the pentacles on top of the others but leaning over the reader like they were going to protect him from rain.
you should have the reader be a girl though and perhaps have a bird flying towards her and she is looking up at it with a smile on her face.

10 of pentacles
i am not sure of this ..
perhaps have ten pentacles falling like they were gentle falling stars onto a person who is being blessed, or a family who is being blessed.

page of pentacles
i love this face,, only thing i would change is have the pentacles glowing over his head. alas because i like this face very much,, i can't recommend changing it to be asexual lol.

knight of pentacles
here is an idea
have a man on a horse, a pentacle stuck in the mude and he is using the horse to pull it out. no one has that image yet

queen of pentacles.
i like it,, i feel her beauty, her gentle nature,
i am not sure about the stars though.. to me they represent anything.
ohhh i know,, have her be in a cave and put the pentacle above her head so it is her light. but dont' change that body :)

king of pentacles
the king is to somber for me, he should be full of life , as he is fire in the world of pentacles. he is like the donald , mr trumpe of the money world.
perhaps make him more modern a gentleman banker..
or master blacksmith as someone who worked with his hands would be expretremely buff,,
you could make him a miner, smith.

HOLMES

the suit of the swords

ace of swords

whenever i see the sword like that ,, i think of the movie excaliber where the hand comes out of the sea and give the sword.
but one has to admit it is plain in this imagery.

have you seen the movie the messanger , the joan of movie from the 1999..
in it there is a image of a sword coming from the heavens and there is holy image.
you should have this sword coming from the sky with a hand open to recieve it.
kind of like this
http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/project/3/page_swords.shtml
but the sword be up as it come down and the hand is ready to recieve it.

2 of swords
here is an interesting idea,, the swords in the stone is a powerful imagery
You could have two people looking at each other above shaking hands like they put the swords there to make peace.

3 of swords
i would change this imagery it doesnt' work,,,
you could have a man about to pull a sword out of his heart, and two bloody on the ground as if he already pulled out two ..
no tarot imagery i seen has two swords pulled out already.

4. four of swords
i like this imagery ..
you could also make a big muscular back and turn the swords small so they like little needles iwth sword hilts.
you could have his armour and four swords on the ground and a person massing his back.
for me this is a break from his mental strife like he is taking the time to rest as he will never get it again.
and to prepare for battle tomorrow.

5. of swords
powerful imagery .
but depending on if you are going illustrated or not, it is hard to decide what to do here.
myself i would have two people crying like in your six of pentalces card to the side..
four broken swords like in this imagery beneath one person holding his sword up like luke skywalker did in his star wars poster for he was victorious.. so victourious he broke their swords

6 of swords.
keep the imagery ,, only thing is to make the reflection a tiny longer,, like a true refleciton.
I would put a boat in there somewhere to show he is escaping from his mind.
you know the six of swords is lovers in the mental word and about choice..
you could show the lovers in a boat in this imagery like the only time they can meet is at night where no one can see them.
(thinking of the song the dark end of the street)

7. of swords
excellent idea to show fulitity and sabotoge..
i would change the wood to a big stone and showing a man who breaking his swords trying to find excaliber ..
or a boy who is doing that believing in the excaliber myth..
or just the way you had it,, the man broke 6 swords , but instead of the 7 sword going in like you have it,, it is about to go in (and break eheh)

8 of swords
i like it,, maybe have him put on a blind fold on the ground and ropes as he just took them off and wondering where he is.

edited to add further after i saw the wands,,
the imagery of the ten of wands would work here,, but with 8 swords and he is blind folded so he can't see besies being locked up.

9 of swords
all this blood has to go into the ten of swords card .
the nine of sword is about worry, that soon all we know is about to come to pass,, how can we sleep ?.
that is why most nine of swords show a figure in the middle of night having nightmares.
here is a little idea
show a person with their back turned to us perhaps or facing us and under the matterss is swords (to the number of nine ).
realistically how good of a sleep can a person get when he is sleeping on hard metal ..
but symbolically how could he sleep when so much is on his mind.

10 of swords
the man lying there amdits the blood of the nine of swords.
just a tiny bit perhpas show dawn coming somewhere.
conversely instead of dawn coming,, how about show night coming !?
aka he was just stabbed at the coming of dusk and now he has to wait to morning to get found.
a little past the "a better day is approaching " but i notice in your artwork you try to be a little differnt.

edited to add

page of swords
you could use this,, for the page only,, i would make the man in it look a little young,, a page back then was like 14 to 15 i think.

how about instead of the jewel,, his whole face is reflected in the sword to a boyish impish determination like he will take on the world.

queen of swords
the queen of swords is about emotions and the mind working together to form one tough lady, the type of lady who says "off with his head " if it was revered,,
no one wants to cross her, everyone respect her, and possibly fear her.
this isn't reflected here

king of swords
i would take that face out,, have the face on top of a general on a horse and tiny little baynets below him heading into battle as he points off into the distance.
think major modern general by pirates of penzence (that is what that face reminds me of so i am going iwth it )
he is a good leader, a strong leader,
reversed he is a bad leader who got there because he schemed his way there aka he didnt' earn it.
and ,, lots of his soldiers will die.
think custer reversed and napleon.

SakuraFae

EthanJamesPetty said:
I updated the link, but will put it here again since it's on another page:

http://deckofthedreamers.com/iii-the-empress/

Great description. It's that attention to detail that helps me connect with a card and where the artist was going with it.

Remember Tarot is very personal and you feel your intent of the card, others that share will you will get it or won't. Don't let the feedback overtake and spin you around too much. You're doing great.

EthanJamesPetty

Thanks for the lengthy additions, Homes. Already pasted them to my file for reference!

SakuraFae - Don't worry, I'll still be putting my unique spin on things. I'll certainly consider all the feedback I receive and work in some ideas that strengthen my own, but I promise I'll still enrage some people by going totally off the wall on some of them ;)

rwcarter

EthanJamesPetty said:
but I promise I'll still enrage some people by going totally off the wall on some of them ;)
Please? You promise? Can I hold you to that? Cause it's usually the cards I don't like that hold the best messages for me.... ;)

Rodney

EthanJamesPetty

I've got quite a few cards left - my odds are good :)