Feelings and Pentacles, from lukewarm to non existent ?

Barleywine

I want to carify this : I am not despising the way earth signs typically have of showing love and attraction, I'm just saying that maybe the pentacles as cards talk about something other than emotions and passionate love, at times even the lack of certain feelings...maybe this suit is meant to carry other messages...

I tend to agree, but then if the Pentacle court cards represent actual people in the reading, those emotions have to be in there somewhere even if repressed. It's the filter they're strained through that results in the different quality of their manifestation. The minor Pentacles I don't often see as expressing emotions (although "passions" - or maybe "fixations" would be better - are a different matter) because I don't use a predominantly psychological model in my reading.

Nikita_

I tend to agree, but then if the Pentacle court cards represent actual people in the reading, those emotions have to be in there somewhere even if repressed. It's the filter they're strained through that results in the different quality of their manifestation. The minor Pentacles I don't often see as expressing emotions (although "passions" - or maybe "fixations" would be better - are a different matter) because I don't use a predominantly psychological model in my reading.

I think that when they do represent real people, they still embody a certain kind of attitude emotionally or a certain type of feelings which is not very passionate, maybe not very " in love " either, at times physical, as for the queen, but no matter what star sign the person in quesion is, and no matter what he's like in other areas of his life or other situations, in that particular matter- love or feelings towards the querent- they ate blocked, uninterested, preoccupied with other things, or whatever...do you see what I mean....?
I myself come up as every single court card in the deck depending on the situation...and yet, my "core personality" is a strongly defined mixture of water and fire...(a lethal one at that) and yet, even I come up as a queen of pents at times...and believe me, I am NO practical, mothering housewife in the least bit....

Prilica

Really interesting topic! Thank you because I can learn more about this suit.

Just to add something... The 4 of pentacles could point to jealousy, like not wanting to let go.
The 3 of pants is a base... For a relationship.
Pentacles people are stubborn but are deeply romantic as well.... Yes they can take forever to make a move but they are more grounded than the other suits... If you like astrology read about Taurus. Patient slow but steady. When they want something they can wait forever to get it. They lack the passion of wands but are practical. They won't make a castle in the air but will provide something more tangible...a real house and a secure home.

Teheuti

I can't help noticing that he's the only knight who is not moving an inch...and all the things you said about the eight...he may be a well meaning guy alright, but can't you see how far away from the idea of romance he is ?
I think people have different ideas and experiences in regard to romance. Writer Diane Ackerman described romantic love as a kind of "traffic accident of the heart." And I admit that it seems appropriate to the Knight of Wands rather than Pentacles.

But others experience romance as a cup of hot chocolate while curled up next to someone and watching old movies on TV - and waking up with that same person for the rest of their lives.

my point was also about what to expect, in the field of action
What about working at relationship? Or acting slowly and methodically. That doesn't mean they aren't actions. A Knight might indicate travel, for instance, but that card alone won't tell you the mode of travel (unless by horseback) or the destination. You need other cards to fill out the picture.

Check out this thread for some of the sexier aspects of the Knight of Pentacles. http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=233851

Nikita_

Really interesting topic! Thank you because I can learn more about this suit.

Just to add something... The 4 of pentacles could point to jealousy, like not wanting to let go.
The 3 of pants is a base... For a relationship.
Pentacles people are stubborn but are deeply romantic as well.... Yes they can take forever to make a move but they are more grounded than the other suits... If you like astrology read about Taurus. Patient slow but steady. When they want something they can wait forever to get it. They lack the passion of wands but are practical. They won't make a castle in the air but will provide something more tangible...a real house and a secure home.

I know about Tauruses...they're supposed to be Scorpios best partners, sexually at least-apparently they make great lovers- but I've never had the pleasure myself...maybe because my Moon in Aries tells them to get lost long before they feel it's time to act...maybe I'm missing out, but WAIT and FOREVER are two words that my birth chart makes me allergic too...unless it's about grudges and revenge; my Scorpio can definitely hold grudges forever, and wait forever for the right time for revenge....
Only joking, of course
The 8 of pents actually makes me think of a Virgo...when I suffer from insomnia I can easily fall asleep just by watching them at work, with their pedantic attention for each insignificant detail...
Hopefully no Virgos in this thread

Barleywine

The 8 of pents actually makes me think of a Virgo...when I suffer from insomnia I can easily fall asleep just by watching them at work, with their pedantic attention for each insignificant detail...
Hopefully no Virgos in this thread

I'm not a Virgo but I have the same opinion of the 8 of Pentacles as you do. And, in fact, you're not off the mark since Sun in Virgo is the astrological correspondence for that card in the Golden Dawn system.

Nikita_

I think people have different ideas and experiences in regard to romance. Writer Diane Ackerman described romantic love as a kind of "traffic accident of the heart." And I admit that it seems appropriate to the Knight of Wands rather than Pentacles.

But others experience romance as a cup of hot chocolate while curled up next to someone and watching old movies on TV - and waking up with that same person for the rest of their lives.

What about working at relationship? Or acting slowly and methodically. That doesn't mean they aren't actions. A Knight might indicate travel, for instance, but that card alone won't tell you the mode of travel (unless by horseback) or the destination. You need other cards to fill out the picture.

Check out this thread for some of the sexier aspects of the Knight of Pentacles. http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=233851

WORKING SLOWING AND METHODICALLY AT A RELATIONSHIP ??? Are you serious ??? Or are you a Virgo ?? No, seriously. I can see your point. Although I personally think love is an illness. That can easily be cured by marriage, as Oscar Wilde put it.
Primarily, it's a chemical reaction. Some of us explode when it happens, others barely wake up...and think '." what was that noise in the distance ? Well I'll worry about it after Ive finished doing the accounts".
No, really. I can see your point.

Nikita_

I'm not a Virgo but I have the same opinion of the 8 of Pentacles as you do. And, in fact, you're not off the mark since Sun in Virgo is the astrological correspondence for that card in the Golden Dawn system.

Really ...? I didn't know that, that's really interesting

Kgirl

Pentacles can be a physical manifestation of the feelings. A brief run down for me:

Ace of Pentacles - feeling like you have a real shot at someone, will have an opportunity to be physically close, see someone as real relationship material. Start of building someone solid, not fleeting

Two of Pentacles - as Griz beautifully described, this can mean meeting someone, being in their physical presence. It can mean juggling two people, trying to keep the momentum going, testing someone's interest, trying to stay on your good side. Moving your schedule around to meet a date.

Three of Pentacles - admiring someone, working with someone. Open to negotiating through issues, open to meeting someone half-way. Importance of getting along with a third party, building on the initial spark of the Ace.

Four of Pentacles - withholding feelings, shutting off, keeping your opinions to yourself, staying tight-lipped, shutting people out, not budging, being stubborn

Five of Pentacles - feeling unloved, feeling left out, feeling like you're not good enough or worthy. Sticking to someone through thick and thin

Six of Pentacles - knowing something is owed, giving only what you're prepared to give, an obligation, an imbalance, a sexual exchange, giving to someone who needs help, knowing someone will help

Seven of Pentacles - wondering if its worth it, feeling impatient, a sign that the love you have given is felt and will be reciprocated, stepping back and reconsidering

Eight of Pentacles - devotion, dedication, commitment, fascination with details about you, utterly focused. An example, running around to make sure a dinner is perfect, the restaurant is right, the parking is sorted, you've got enough money etc

Nine of Pentacles - admiring a beautiful and independent woman, someone not threatened by your independence and success, someone who is happy to be on their own, someone who is self sufficient

Ten of Pentacles - building a solid family life, meeting the family, fitting in with their heritage, thinking long term, purchasing a beautiful home, impact of family's legacy

Page of Pentacles - being fascinated by someone in a new way, noticing someone for the first time, admiring someone's beauty, wanting more physical closeness, outwardly demonstrating interest

Knight of Pentacles - shyness, being humble, slow to move, slow to approach, feeling perhaps that they're not good enough, devoted, committed, slow to get to know you, slow to open up

Queen of Pentacles - the secure woman, the stable woman, earthy sexiness, sensible, practical, the "other" woman, the wife, runs the home, not necessarily exciting or stands out but dependable. The type of woman that you feel wouldn't reject you

King of Pentacles - Committed man, family man, manages money, cares about finances, home man, settled, happy, a bit boring but dependable. Wants to take care of you

staticfuzz

I am aware of the fact that my meanings tend to be more similar to the reversed cards, I thought about that many times. But your meanings apply to established relationships, try to think of someone who asked about a guy she is in love with and wanted to know how he felt towards her, and got the 2 of pents. Would you be happy to see that for someone you're in love with ? Would you think he feels the same way ? Or the knight of pents. Wouldn't that make you think, my god, it's going to take him forever to make a move, if he ever does ?

Well, that's the thing isn't it? One card can mean vastly different things depending on the type of feelings, the kind of relationship, the position it's in. The 2 of Pentacles is going to mean something different in the future position for a dating-type relationship than it is going to mean for the present in a marriage, which is again different from advice for how to move a relationship forward, and yet another meaning for how a potential love interest sees you.