Something wrong with majors only ?

minrice

That's a neat link Gregory, the Lebanese really is pretty! I was looking at that too. I think that Majors only are lovely decks, and in some decks like the Gendron the Majors are gorgeous and the rest of the deck is crap! Like the others have said, it's a money issue also for me. If I had all the money in the world I would buy more Majors only, but then I'm pretty selective so I wouldn't just get a rare Majors only just to have it.

Daily draws are the only reason I'd get a Majors only deck. I don't and wouldn't read with a Majors only, but I do have the Majors only Pen Tarot that I absolutely love and do daily draws with.

Carla

I'm not a collector and I'm just a newbie, but I can already see my taste in tarot forming. I like full decks and I like decks that have earthy imagery that I can relate to, irrespective of the art work. I prefer Anna K to the Legacy of the Divine, for example, because I'm discovering that I prefer decks that seem more grounded. (I have been referring to the Anna K as my hobbit deck. The folks on there just remind me of hobbits!) I don't think I'd ever buy a majors only deck because I want to use all my decks, and I don't fancy using less than a full deck. There must be a lot of people like me. :)

Altena

Being a collector myself I see nothing wrong in owning a majors only deck. One of my most prized decks, The Pen Tarot, is such a deck and I wouldn't part with it for the world. The Phantomwise Tarot is very high up on my wishlist, both as a full deck and as majors only. The Lebanese is also gorgeous, but that will have to wait a bit.

So no, in my opinion there's absolutely nothing wrong with a majors only deck. It's nice to have all the cards and I have to admit that I rarely do readings with decks containing only 22 cards, but they're absolutely worth having for the collection and it's fully possible to read with them.

On a side note, does any tarot genius around here know if the Sylph Tarot(another majors only) is all sold out? I see that it says "Temporarily unavailble"(whatever that means) and nothing else. Does this mean that the majors only is sold out? From what I can tell the full deck is being worked on. Anyways, here's the link for this stunning piece of art: http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/sylph/

I'd buy that one in a heartbeat, majors only or not :love:

gregory

PM Adam (or email...) I THINK he said he was printing more now....

This one is majors only; Adam has done one 78 card deck and as far as I know he decided never again ! (he does all the work himself...) Grillo may well be working on the rest - but even so... Adam's decks are well worth having in their own right.

kittiann

I'm not a collector. I seem to have ended up with a small collection, but I'm not a collector :p. Usually, I don't buy decks for their artistic appeal; if I want something like that, I'll buy a print and hang it on the wall. A lot of my decks I've bought to teach me something, and I feel that can be better accomplished with 78 cards. I also prefer to read with 78 cards. I also limit the amount of RWS-imagery decks I have, because it feels so 'been there, done that'.

The only exception is the Ironwing. Beautiful art, incredibly deep, and there's no way I'll ever be able to afford the full version; so eventually I'll end up getting the majors only. But I'd much rather have all 78.

Chronata

I think there's absolutely nothing wrong with a 22 card deck.

As a collector, I love art decks.

As a reader, I love majors decks because sometimes they are just perfect for the type of events I do. (I need a quick one card table reading at a restaurant, for example)

When I had to sell the bulk of my collection for desperate money, the biggest regrets were the the Majors decks, because some of them are just so incredible. I used them, and I feel the loss.

Recently I considered hocking the Phantomwise Majors, because I knew that a full deck was near completion, and would probably be available someday soon.

But I can't sell it. I just can't. It's so a part of me now, as I have used it for many many readings. Plus the cardstock that Adam used was so beautiful, that I fear the full deck won't be the same experience!

gregory

Exactly ! these limited ones are special in their production in a way that no affordable 78 card deck ever could be. Like yours, Chronata !

KafkasGhost

Like Herzog, I like knowing that I have #24 of only 100 copies. And I fully support Adam's endeavors and appreciate what he's offering.

It's my own personal philosophy to support the artists so when someone gathers their resources to produce small runs with exceptional artwork and for a reasonable price, the art collector in me jumps at the opportunity to add it to my small stable of original work.

An ancillary benefit is that the reader in me loves the challenge a majors only deck provides.

It could have something to do with whether one approaches it from a collector/reader/combo thereof perspective.

Hm. Now I'm on the road to enablement of majors only Ironwing and Prairie! :bugeyed:

Metafizzypop

I own 25 tarot decks and only one of them is a majors-only. The reason I own it is because I bought it by accident, about 10 years ago, back in the days when I was young and naive and didn't know that it was "legal" to do majors-only decks.

I got the box home, opened it up, and found only 22 cards. I took that whole box apart, looking for the rest of the cards, thinking that they were in some clever secret compartment that I hadn't found yet. Eventually it dawned on me that this was a deck of 22 cards. And only 22 cards.

It was the HR Geiger deck, and he is one of my fave artists. So I might have bought it anyway.

But normally I don't like the idea of majors-only decks. I'm not a collector, I'm a user, and with only 22 cards it feels that something is missing. Well, yes, something IS missing -- the other 56 cards. I just can't do a reading with only majors.

If the artist didn't want to spend all the time on the other 56 cards, they could do a non-illustrated deck. How hard is it to draw a bunch of sticks and circles? Even the simplest pips are better than none.