Something wrong with majors only ?

KafkasGhost

victoria.star said:
Oh, KafkasGhost, you will Love the Ironwing! Congrats! And perhaps a stop over at Adam McLean's Art of Tarot site will add a few more to your wishlist?
(oh me, silly enabler!!)

No no! Ly was my first. He certainly won't be my last but I need to find a job first. :laugh:

victoria.star

KafkasGhost said:
No no! Ly was my first. He certainly won't be my last but I need to find a job first. :laugh:
*laughing* I see! Well done! The Tarot ng Daigdig sa Balintataw is second on my wishlist, after the Purro...and, as you said, a JOB! ;)

strings of life

KafkasGhost said:
Ironwing majors on the way. What, she had only 10 left!
I.Must.Stop. :bugeyed:
victoria.star said:
Oh, KafkasGhost, you will Love the Ironwing! Congrats! And perhaps a stop over at Adam McLean's Art of Tarot site will add a few more to your wishlist?
(oh me, silly enabler!!)
I was already enabled. I was just procrastinating. And KafkasGhost, thanks for the tip. I just emailed her and hopefully I get lucky.

* crossing fingers *

Update: I just paid for it, so it's on it'a way :D.

zan_chan said:
Enable me then. What's a Majors-only deck that everyone should have a copy of?
I just bought my first 2 Majors only decks. I had never considered it before, but there were a few factors:

- If the deck is self-published or published by means outside of mass market means, you are supporting the artist directly.

- You are buying a limited edition deck (most of the time).

- They are art decks, many of them one of a kind!

- Majors only decks can be used just to do daily readings or meditations based on the stages/meanings they represent. Or, they can be great to use as significator cards (if you want to use Majors instead of courts) to supplement a regular reading with a standard 78 card deck.

OctoberGwen

I love Majors-only decks as art pieces, as collectibles, and as daily draw decks. I love them in their own right. I have the Phantomwise Majors and they are phenomenal: gorgeous stock, lovely presentation, and there are only 100 in existence! When the whole deck is finished and mass produced, I plan to get that, too. To me, it will be a completely different entity.

I absolutely think they should be appreciated, especially the ones Adam produces. They are really special.

Trying to figure out if I actually answered your question, gregory... :)

Sinduction

I love majors only decks but can rarely find them. There is no grouping here in the cards section for majors only decks.

I routinely separate my decks and only use the majors. I find my readings really expand that way.

But all of you are using the names of artists that I have not heard of. Where are you finding all of these decks?

KafkasGhost

Sinduction said:
But all of you are using the names of artists that I have not heard of. Where are you finding all of these decks?

Serendipitous internet searches and purely unintended, drive-by enabling, as another AT-er put it. ;)

And for the record, Ly = Lynryrd Narciso.

Elven

Until finding AT years ago, I only had full decks, and I only had a few. I seperated out the Majors from the Oswald Wirth Deck and would use those when reading. I even have a 2 slot silk pouch for them. I have been reading with just Majors for a long time - the OW Majors are worn badly compared to the pips - no gold left on them.

Just Major Decks are (IMHO) not only for collectors - they well worth reading with - a good 3 card spread with a Majors deck (using reversals, giving 44 available interpretations) means that I'll get a rich answer for the question. Its like Im concerned moreso with the fabric, not the print.

Im just starting to collect, so I have been on Adams site - but once more, price is an issue and I have to choose carefully because I want 2 decks the same (1 to read with, 1 to collect) but, at near $170 for both - well by the time I save, the decks have gone. This has happened a few times :( and yet Adams site is a great resource for these decks I love.

2cents worth greggers

Elven

jackdaw*

I MUCH prefer full decks - I like the nuances that the minors have to contribute, and much as I struggle with them I am fascinated by the court cards. And a majors-only reading always seems to me to be so heavy, so grave, so loaded with significance!

Maybe a rethink is in order? I dunno ...

ETA: in the past I owned MANY majors-only decks, in my mad acquisitive collector phase. And some I truly loved and adored and admired and never used because they still felt "incomplete" and turned to my trusty 78-card decks. And that's the problem - they still feel incomplete without their pips.

Elven

jackdaw* said:
I MUCH prefer full decks - I like the nuances that the minors have to contribute, and much as I struggle with them I am fascinated by the court cards. And a majors-only reading always seems to me to be so heavy, so grave, so loaded with significance!

Maybe a rethink is in order? I dunno ...

ETA: in the past I owned MANY majors-only decks, in my mad acquisitive collector phase. And some I truly loved and adored and admired and never used because they still felt "incomplete" and turned to my trusty 78-card decks. And that's the problem - they still feel incomplete without their pips.

Ah, I understand that too. I think I chose a Majors only deck depending on the question I'm asking, so all types of decks are availble (even Oracles) and I gotta add: I think when I was reading at the cafe, there was only 2 occassions where people chose Major only decks for thier reading. I think clients felt that less cards in deck means 'less of' a reading - or they should be paying half price :laugh: - or maybe they thought they would get some of the story and didn't want to know the rest - maybe they thought the reading would be quicker ... lots of assumption on my behalf, but after reading through some of the posts here, it might just have something to do with why people didnt pick them to have teir readings with.

Thanks Jackdaw
Cheers
Elven

Grizabella

I adore the Majors only Star tarot I was given as a gift. I don't read with it because I can't really shuffle it. I know that's a stupid reason but so far that's all I can offer. I choose a card a day sometimes but otherwise I just worship it for the glorious art work without using it.