Tarot in the Land of Mystereum anyone?

OctoberGwen

Le Fanu said:
I prefer something more depraved.

ROTFL! :thumbsup:

This deck doesn't really appeal to me, but I'm not a big fan of Disneyfied anything. Plus, nudity or no, it doesn't strike me as a deck that children would be targeted for. Is it the colors, or what?

*scratches head*

ETA: Well, I guess I can see why they're thinking it might appeal to children after looking at Manda's link, but I still don't care for the concept of changing the original artwork to suit that market....

Hedera

Oh dear.
Thank you for posting that image, Manda; that green bathing suit is quite preposterous!

And the original card is so lovely. :(

I will try and track down the uncensored version, I think, but the Schiffer edition is now firmly off my wish-list.

Le Fanu, if I could find a pants-less Rohrig at a reasonable price, I would snap it up!
But alas, I have never seen it anywhere (and, truth be told, I mostly keep the Rohrig out of a sense of completion; I never read with it).

Manda

Le Fanu said:
Oh not childish. I wouldn't say that. But I just wondered if the target public was children, with the book (which I know nothing about btw)...

I feel it's grown up book. It is extremely positive in the tone, and it is written in a style many readers would be comfortable with, but it does not feel dumbed down, or childish to me. I am not promising to be the most objective reviewer though, as the creator is a friend.

Le Fanu

Hedera said:
Oh dear.
Thank you for posting that image, Manda; that green bathing suit is quite preposterous!

And the original card is so lovely. :(
As I suspected; I knew that green leotard didn't sit quite right...

Manda

OctoberGwen said:
ROTFL! :thumbsup:

This deck doesn't really appeal to me, but I'm not a big fan of Disneyfied anything. Plus, nudity or no, it doesn't strike me as a deck that children would be targeted for. Is it the colors, or what?

*scratches head*

ETA: Well, I guess I can see why they're thinking it might appeal to children after looking at Manda's link, but I still don't care for the concept of changing the original artwork to suit that market....

I'd let my kids use the deck with the original bits showing, but I feel really strongly that I'd rather they saw tits than bloody violence (bit of an off rant about what is censored on tv). I also gave the 15 year old stepson-to-be a reading this past weekend with the Druidcraft in which the lovely, naked, very natural Star figured prominently, and gave him the deck for his own when he asked, so maybe I am more lax about these things than some.

Mystereum

Important thoughts and info for Mystereum

Hi All!, I suggest not getting all bent about censorship. I DECIDED to "kiddify" the new edition so it would get past the customs agent of MOM for kiddos. Schiffer had nothing to do with it. My decision was simple. There are 124 people in the world + me who have the 1st self-published Edition of the Mystereum Tarot. . .may one or two less than that as some people purchased more than 1. The original self-published Edition of Mystereum was a run of 125, period. And, I have no plans in any near future of re-releasing it.

SO. . here was my thinking. Respect the owners of the original Edition of 125 by 1: to evolve the cards in a general way by letting out and completing the outer arch in the border so that from across the room one could clearly tell which Edition was which. 2:"kiddifying" the deck by designing out the nudity as a THEMATIC EVOLUTION while enhancing the visual metaphor of their divinatory voices.

I appreciate people raising their hackles, but frankly, settle down. There has been no wrong-doing here, and I would appreciate it if you read this post twice, and think about YOUR position prior to responding. I in no way intend to set a match to a fuse here. I am coming here simply to clarify on the censorship point prior to settling in to read all of your posts. . .which as I glanced through them first, feels like there are some great voices here. Full-on diggin' the energy, the passion -- even when it presents as venom as I can wear boots like any other -- and the solidarity to protect the little guy. I have had ONLY a great experience with Schiffer, and continue to do so. Please do not spend your valuable time or Schiffer's or mine inquiring about a re-release of the original. As I cannot even pry another one out of the peoples' hands who have them, consider me in your boat with my single, personal copy. Heck, wish I had an original Alchemical Tarot by Bob Place, and wish I had two of my OWN deck. Simply did not happen that way. Note to self-publishers. Be way more staunch about your own personal group of author's copies.

So, in short there has been absolutely no censorship with Schiffer's Edition of Mystereum now The Land of Mystereum. Any change or modification or evolution or fault or visual catastrophe present in the previous or current decks are entirely of my own doing. Cannot say my fault as I do not see them as wrong or wronged.

Thank you for all of the posts here regardless of your bent. That, to me, is what Mystereum in any of its forms is all about. All Similar, Each Unique. Rock It Your Way!! I am looking forward now to reading all of your posts. I thought it important to step up. Please keep and enhance your view, while forgetting the censorship hullaballoo. May be important elsewhere, but here is my disclaimer. . .No visual metaphors were harmed in the making of the 2008 release of "The Mystereum Tarot" with its 48-page LWB or in the 2010 Schiffer release of "Tarot in the Land of Mystereum: An Imagination Primer" deck + 192-page Imagination Primer book.

Jupiter's Blessings,
Jordan
Tarot in the Land of Mystereum

Mystereum

interesting. . .

WOW! I designed a preposterous green bathing suit. . .but, not a real green bathing suit 'cause that would be cruel. ;-D

Schiffer had nothing to do with the childrens' market decision. That was me evolving my self-pub'd edition to be for everyone. The young, and young at heart. It is my position that everyone has a noggin', thus an imagination, and consequently the market is everybody on the planet to further enhance imagination in YOUR own ways each and every one. Now, add in that there is no accounting for taste, and not everything is for everyone. I for one typically move to the beat of things I like.

Thanks for falling in love with the card back! Honestly, it keeps cycling around to be my fave image.

Hedera

Hi Jordan,

Thank you so much for coming over here, and explaining your decisions!

I am *very* glad they were YOUR decisions, and not Schiffer's.

If it's any consolation, as a life-long nudist & naturist I think that *all* bathing suits are preposterous; they itch and you get sand in them! ;)

I'm feeling a bit better about the changes now, although I will keep wishing I could have gotten hold of the first edition.

Le Fanu

Love the energy of your reply, Jordan. I have read the main post twice as ordered. All that is left now is to find out more about the deck. Are there any more scans floating around out there?

I am not one who insists on seeing ALL cards, just a few others...

Manda

I have deck and scanner in hand. Any requests?

(Assuming Jordan doesn't mind.)