Project: Scrying For Beginners I

fantasymoon

westsidegirlygirl said:
I think this is what wolfmaiden was talking about - "eyelid scrying" means only using the inside of your closed eyelids as an "object."

How wonderful that you have such a strong gift!

Yes I saw that post. And it made me very happy. Because it fell right into place.

To everyone:
So now when I know that we all are talking about the same things.. then I can play. :D I can not take any credit really, sadly. Becaus I haven't really done anything to have this possibility. It has just allways been there. Which means that I do not really know how it is done. And since I just as an adult started to explore what things are and called. I explain things with my own words and mostley in examples. How ever I do know that it is all about a state of mind. For me to be able to see the things I want to se, I have to put my mind and thought in a sort of distant state.

This is hard. It is easier if I get I question to ask, or a thing to describe. A direkt thing.

fantasymoon

miss_yuko said:
Last but not least, i'd like to know if there are any more experienced scryer/seer who would be willing to help us in anyway?
I've seem some people giving ideas/tips in the first post, and i'd love if they kept doing so :)
I would like to assist in anyway I can. But remember, I do not have any experience in training this thing in to practice. And I have had two years off until now. (Well not really, but allmost. The scryings that has taken place has not been allowed any attention.) And last.. I will be away between 30 of may until at least 30 of june.

I will return to tell a few stories. But I need to think them through first. It has been many years since I did one for an particular reason. Well, one worth telling.

Please don't be shy to contact me in private if you feel like it.

Sherringham

Antonio

Hi Antonio,

Not on a level with your line of sight, definitely below it so that you can look comfortably at it, but without seeing your reflection.

The bowl size is what you are comfortable with, a larger surface area can be better for some than others.

When I scry I actually use a mirror, its a square one about 6 ins both ways, and I tilt it slightly away from me, which could be hazardous with water!!!

really as long as you cannot see the candle flame or your face on whichever surface and you are comfortable, then you have the positioning right.

fantasymoon

wolfmaiden58 said:
Hi Everyone.....now, I've been struggling with scrying for a while.....using a bowl and ink primarily.....problems with reflections etc......but, I came across this site yesterday (from a link on here, somewhere) which talks about eyelid scrying.......it makes a lot of sense and I tried it last night (but fell asleep....don't do this lying down!!)...
Also, this Llewellyn site has hundreds of great articles too!!

http://www.llewellynjournal.com/article/1044

wolfie

I just had to say.. No lying down is not a very good idea! *laugh*
Well it is if you wanna fall asleep.. I know, it is the only way for me to fall in sleep. Thank you for putting this eylid scrying thing on my attetion. That actually finaly showed me what it is I've been doing all my life. When a saw your post I immediately recognised myself and no longer have to wonder what it is I do..

So thank you so very much. You awnsered a very old question whitout even knowing it! :D *pleased*

cheekyinchworm

I'd love to join in on this endeavor as well, if it's OK with everyone and not too late! I've just read through both the first thread and this one and I didn't see any cutoff date posted yet.

So . . . assuming I can join in . . .

I have been giving a lot of thought lately as to what I will try to use for scrying. I really like the idea of an obsidian mirror, and it's neat that John Dee and Nostrodamus used them, but it could turn out that I am totally inept and unable to ever become proficient at scrying. So before I buy an expensive crystal ball or obsidian mirror, I think I will try the cheap tools first. I think I will start with inky water in my Tibetan brass prayer bowl, which is about 9 inches in diamter. And if that doesn't work, I will try making a black mirror from a piece of glass and some paint.

From what I have read so far in books, the tool is unimportant so long as you are comfortable with it and can attain the right unfocused/undifferentiated type of field of view.

One neat scrying tool I read about in W.E. Butler's book was a sandy disc: you take a round piece of cardboard, cover it with glue, then sprinkle sand on it and let it dry and shake off any loose sand. This tool has the advantage of not catching any reflections! He also mentioned a black circle on a white paper (if I remember correctly), which didn't appeal to me so I didn't read about the specifics.

The other thing he said that I would love to hear opinions on from those here who have experience scrying is this: that the very first thing you must do to learn scrying is to become very good at VISUALIZING. Butler suggested getting a mandala or other geometric/colorful piece or picture that you find interesting, and getting to the point where you can still see it clearly in your minds eye when you close your eyelids. According to him, you just keep practicing at this until you can do this with ease. He also said that it was not necessary to start with triangles or pentagrams or similar "simple" objects. In fact, according to him, something more complicated was actually better because your mind wouldn't get bored and lose focus simply because of that.

This made sense to me, actually, as I started visualization exercises myself with a pentagram, and I found it strangely difficult at times--and I think this is why.

Anyway, is this necessary to learn scrying? Anyone know for sure?

I intend to sit straight up in a chair with both feet flat on the ground, and look gently down at the surface of the dark water, with a single candle behind me and slight to the side, and let my eyes unfocus, and just try to be that state.

From what I have read, if you keep this up long enough, the first thing that will happen is that your scrying surface will become misty. Apparently, this is due to a phenomenon which science has investigated, and which occurs whenever your field of vision is unchanging for a long time and also rather undifferentiated (i.e. not a bowl of fruit on a table in a brightly lit room, but rather the surface of water, or a crystal ball, etc.)

So next, the mist will start to swirl and there will maybe be lightning flashes in it or lights of other kinds or . . . I can't remember what else. From what Butler was saying, getting to this point could take quite a number of hours.

He explained that what you were trying to do was to get the sub-conscious mind to build up a communication channel to the conscious mind via the visual pathways. He also mentioned so-called "waking dreams" as a related phenomenon--where you open your eyes from sleep in a dark room and you see something. This happens to me all the time now. I am positively SURE that I see something, but when I grab a light and illuminate the field of view, there is nothing.

Anyway . . . usually what happens when you first see lights (according to Butler) is that you will get so excited about your first indication of progress that you will unbalance your calmness of mind and promptly stop seeing anything! LOL! I am all too familiar with this state of affairs from zazen. But he says that if you persevere these lights will start to differentiate into faces or scenes or symbols. In fact, he says they will fall into two categories: symbolic and not, where the symbols you will have to learn to interpret according to your own trial and error, but where the non-symbolic will be straight-forward visual information.

Well. I have no idea if this Butler guy knows what he is talking about or not, but I thought I would post it here for perusal by those with actual scrying experience.

In any case, I definitely intend to continue with visualization exercises, as they are essential for trance-work/pathworking and for activate imagination/creative visualization, both of which I want to develope and learn.

Guiding Cauldron

im in

if theres an actual project going on i'm in :) I've been getting back into this this year. I evidentally used o do this as a kid all the time but never knew then what it was.

I find myself scrying a few ways:
- i usually see from the steam of my hot tea in the mornings
- chronata suggested using a cup of dark coffee and adding cream- that i find is also a great way, and believe it or not
- I have this heavy paperweight thats crystal and has a shades of blue and greens in it, kinda like the sea. In a dimly lit room i can also see in that all be it a very tiny bit though as its not my strongest method.
- I will also see in my bedroom mirror at night when i'm sitting on my bed and my bedside light is dimly lit.

as you can see i've never spent money on these items the paperweight was a gift at xmas last year, but they all seem to work for me.

When i was younger i used to just close my eyes and i'd see orangy light inside but then images would swim in like so that i could see them, i used to think it was so cool lol or i'd stare at the steam coming off my bathtub as akid and just get "cloud images" like i said back then i never knew what this was, i was just being a silly kid i thought! :)

I'm not as frightened as i used to be when i first started out this year, now it feels more like catching up with an old friend :)

fantasymoon

cheekyinchworm said:
I'd love to join in on this endeavor as well, if it's OK with everyone and not too late! I've just read through both the first thread and this one and I didn't see any cutoff date posted yet.

So . . . assuming I can join in . . .

It all seems so complicated when I read your post and all his edvices. It is good edvice be shure of that. But again, it all seems so complicated I am starting to feel that it is way... *sigh*
When this all is really.. well

I have one clear awnser anyway. :D
Yes you need to be able to see images with your imagination before being able to recive visual information. In my scrying both sound and images is present. Even feelings are included in the scryings. Sometimes the feelings, emotions is the essential in the scryings, and sound as images is hardly present. It is more like the emotions creates the images for my brain to be able to handle the experience.

cheekyinchworm

fantasymoon,

What seems so complicated? I'm not sure I get where you are comming from on this.

The only advice he gave that might complicate things (should it be unnecessary) is that the visualization exercises must preceed scrying proper if you can't already visualize. The rest wasn't advice, only description.

Are you saying that his description of what happens during the first dozen (or however many) attempts at scrying is complicated? or wrong?

I'd love to hear what your own early scrying experiences were! I have no idea if what Butler said was worthwhile, or helpful, and another account would be great. Or is it somehow not a good idea to have an expectation in mind?

In any case, given that you too think that visualization skills are a necessary skill do you have any suggestions for developing them to the level needed for scrying? Or is it safe to assume that we all probably can visualize well enough given our interest in Tarot?

fantasymoon

cheekyinchworm said:
fantasymoon,

What seems so complicated? I'm not sure I get where you are comming from on this.

My feelings about this being complicated I think, are maby mostley that I hade to give it all a lot of thought while reading. While when I scry I just do it. I dont put any thought into it.. And to start really think about it, became a bit heavy for me.. And this made me think about it as complicated.. I think. :) As I wrote before, what he says is highly useful. And if things are complicated the might be just that.. Complicated and wrong doesn't go hand in hand. I can't say that anything you wrote, or he says is wrong.. Sinse it all handles a state of mind and he simply (if I understand correctly) try to gives different ways of getting there.. And as allways when a state of mind is on the table.. there are hardly anything called right or wrong.

The stuff he says happens the first times.. Is not only common but I belive a necessity. I mean I still back off if I have a notice about something I didn't count on it. (This is scryings that sort of jumps upp an suprises me in the open.. You know, like seeing a gost/spirit)

I must say that having any kinds of expectations is never a good idea.. :) As soon as you get one you start to put pressure on yourself. And as small pressure as it may be, it still affects. I'd say that when you practise you do it with an opend mind and a what happens happens attitued.
I mean I have done this as long as I have lived and have had a conscious mind. And still when I get out to gather a speciall piece of information. And doesn't remember to go with the flow.. I allways end upp doing something else, seeing something else, falling asleep or just fail and then I get frustrated..

I would sa that any person that has the slightest abillity to daydream also has the abillity to vizualize. You need to vizualize when daydreaming. So daydreaming is one of my best suggestion when training upp that abillity.
But also..

When I think about it.you are not bound to images.. If it takes place as emotions then your brain will fill in the images. I think.. what are your thoughts about that?

And finally I just wanna say. I am a very mind wandering person. Have difficultes in putting thoughts into words. This has to do with my scrying abillity. I allways see in pictures and small movies. Even what should be words in my mind appears as images or just emotions. Maby this is what makes scrying so easy for me? Or what do you think?
I'm sorry, but I am not used to explain these things. When I teach I do it by sending images and feelings into the students head.

Antonio

Yesterday I tried skrying again, without success. From reading what people in this thread said, specially Fantasymoon, I am wondering if only visual people can succeed at skrying?

I do daydream a lot, having Sun and Mercury in Pisces, but my daydreams tend to be in words or ideas, not images. Sometimes there are images, but they would have very little detail and just an auxiliary function. Also I remember that years ago when I tried to do some Tibetan meditations that involved visualization, I found them quite difficult and never got much out of them.

What do you guys think, is successful skrying the preserve of visual people?

António