Which deck for a LARP?

raventepes

One of the biggest problems with the Suckling Dragon is that it's getting harder to find.

Now something I'd suggest (comeing from an ex LARPer myself) is a more historical deck. A Visconti or the Medieval Scapini. It SHOULD get you some points for historical accuracy, at any rate.

Aerin

Skimo said:
In fact, I guess that no matter what deck I choose, I will have to study it before...

Yes, that is the thing..... if it were me I might prefer to go with something I knew I could read with happily, which in my case would be the Fey or the Bohemian Gothic. Neither of which says 'Moorcock', the Fey is nearer but not quite 'it'. A darker version of the Fey now, a dark sister for her, that would work well.

Or you could take two decks...

Aerin x

gregory

raventepes said:
One of the biggest problems with the Suckling Dragon is that it's getting harder to find.

Now something I'd suggest (comeing from an ex LARPer myself) is a more historical deck. A Visconti or the Medieval Scapini. It SHOULD get you some points for historical accuracy, at any rate.
Historical accuracy. Nice one. And a VERY good idea.

But the Suckling is for sale in all my local cheap shops !

raventepes

I actually just ordered it from Barnes And Noble. I can't wait for it to get back into my hands.

sleepingcat

I'd go with a card with minimal text, or just the numerals to keep from breaking the 4th wall.

I've always wanted to larp, but I have enough time-consuming hobbies. T.T

I'd also have a tendancy to pick oversized cards so other players could see them easily without having to sit on your shoulders to see. XD

Skimo

Historical accuracy would be great but I have to be able to read with it this summer...

It was my problem with the Archeon, it has a nice mystical/fantastical/dark atmosphere, but I am afraid that it would be difficult for me to read with it for now (like with the margarete petersen or the secret forest).

I think I could read with the Victorian Romantic or the Bohemian Gothic, but they are too victorian.
I couldn't take the risk to bring the MAAT there...

The Aquarian may have some kind of historical look and the autumn color would fit in the fire theme...

Skimo

sleepingcat said:
I'd go with a card with minimal text, or just the numerals to keep from breaking the 4th wall.
I'd also have a tendancy to pick oversized cards so other players could see them easily without having to sit on your shoulders to see. XD

I have thought that I could trim the "deck" and use the Umbrae method (including the tea step) on it to give it an older look.

I just have to decide on one...

JenniferAbe

Darn, everyone beat me to suggesting the Universal Fantasy, which is the first deck that popped into my head! :)

It's also too bad that the Dark Grimoire won't be out in time for summer - that one looks like it could be a good candidate.

I read a review of the Fantastical Tarot somewhere where the reviewer mentioned that the court cards reminded him/her of Michael Moorcock's Elric series so there's another idea to throw in the mix.

Another option in the historical category is the Golden Tarot by Kat Black. That deck is really nice, with a historical "feel" to the images but the symbolism is based on RWS and the pips all have scenes so it might be easier to read than the Visconti or Medieval Scapini (for me anyway!).

The LARP sounds like a lot of fun, whatever deck you choose!

Skimo

I have seen that the Golden Tarot of the Renaissance has scenic pips... need to find more scans...

The Golden Tarot by Kat Black could be a good choice too, I didn't think about it, may be a little to much biblic references?

And I will look for informations about the fantastical, it's a strange deck for me, like the sacred rose, but I have to think about it.

RiccardoLS

mmmh, the Uni-Fantasy is - imho - a different landscape of the mind.
It is not Elric world... as I imagine it.
Melniboné is a world of decandence, of wild savage aggressive young nations, of a conflict between a stagnant order and a mercurial chaos...

If You want to read in-characther, you need to carry the same feeling as the world you are living in, the world that has shaped your convinction and experience.

By the way... it's an interesting question:
"what deck could have been created in that world?"

What deck could have been used to read Ian Solo fortune?
Or...
Three decks to the elven kings under the sky
Seven for the dwarven lords in their Halls of stone
Nine for the mortal men, doomed to die.
(and I won't talk of the last deck)

ric