Which deck for a LARP?

Skimo

Hello,

I have still not found exactly what I want, but I will wait for the arrival of the Archeon to see if it could work, and if it doesn't, I will go on with my research.
Thank you for the advices, (new ones are still welcome).

Following the idea of matching decks and Fantasy worlds, I have made a new thread :
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?p=1511911#post1511911

Have a nice day!

Gavriela

The Eltynne would work for some of them - as would probably that Lenormand you like so much.

Or how about Oracle de la Triade for something really mind-bendy?

If you can't read Marseille style decks, then I might go with an iconic-looking oracle. Just make sure it doesn't have a bar code on the box!

whipsilk

The Sacred Rose might be my choice for Elric, although three other decks suggest themselves:
- Someone, I think, suggested Nathalie Hertz's Fantastical Tarot, and I agree that's a good possibility.
- One that hasn't been mentioned is Zack Wong's Revelations Tarot. There's something very Multiverse-ish about the dual-ended images.
- You might also look at the Tarot of the Origins from Lo Scarabeo. It has a kind of raw power that seems appropriate for a very young world, and as I recall, doesn't look too specific to Neanderthals.

I also agree that a historical deck would be too specific to the Renaissance worlds that spawned them, and would run contrary to the feeling of Melnibone.

Whatever you pick, have fun with your LARP.

Skimo

Gavriela said:
The Eltynne would work for some of them - as would probably that Lenormand you like so much.

Or how about Oracle de la Triade for something really mind-bendy?

If you can't read Marseille style decks, then I might go with an iconic-looking oracle. Just make sure it doesn't have a bar code on the box!

The Etsy Lenormand could be great indeed, it would be a good reason to buy one... ;o)

A friend of mine coming with me has the Oracle de la Triade, I hope he will come with it :eek:)

The Revelations tarot has an interesting duality... I will think about it...

Dwaas

Yes wait for your Archeon. It is beautiful and full of magic. I am sure it will feel at home in a LARP!

Skimo

I have just received the Archeon.

It's a nice deck and it could be the one but the cards just feel like plastic!
To be honest, it bothers me...

I will receive the Universal Fantasy from Mariana, and I hope Innana will answer to my PM for the Fantastical.

Then I will have the choice.

femalegamer

My recommendation has nothing to do with the content of the deck. My recommendation is: something inexpensive that you can easily replace. LARPs are active places with lots of movement; you can drop cards and they get walked on, or even lost. And, unfortunately, they also have a tendency to involve people you don't know, which leads to the possibility of theft. (We mark all our LARP books with our names on interior pages.)

Skimo

Thank you femalegamer.

It will be my third larp and I haven't had any problem before, but I still keep the thief possibility in mind.
(That's why I wouldn't bring the MAAT).

A mass market deck is definitely the better option.

Due to its heavy lamination, I tend to think that the Archeon would survive even if a tribe of orcs run on it...

Aerin

I had another look at the Sacred Rose last night, and it still shouts 'Moorcock' at me.

Regarding the above discussion, you can get a second hand copy very cheap.

Aerin

femalegamer

I agree, the Archeon is laminated to indestructibility. :)

The possibility of lost cards or ruined cards came to mind because, sadly, it happened at a Vampire LARP I was in - sometimes others can be very inconsiderate of people's property.