Which deck for a LARP?

Skimo

The universal Fantasy could have been created in the Multiverse?

For me, the Archeon, the Sacred Rose, the Fantastical and the Suckling Dragon could have been created in Elric's world, I wouldn't be able to say why, and I need to read Elric again before the LARP.

I really like the Estensi/Golden Tarot of the Renaissance, I may add it to my wishlist (the Justice is based on the Charles VI and I just love it).

The only problem with medieval/historical deck, is that there refere to our middle age and aren't fantastical enough for what I am looking for...

If they were published, I would also consider the Tarot of the Sidhe, the Mary-el and the Dame Fortune's Wheel Tarot, but there aren't... yet?!

gregory

RiccardoLS said:
mmmh, the Uni-Fantasy is - imho - a different landscape of the mind.
It is not Elric world... as I imagine it.
Melniboné is a world of decandence, of wild savage aggressive young nations, of a conflict between a stagnant order and a mercurial chaos...

If You want to read in-characther, you need to carry the same feeling as the world you are living in, the world that has shaped your convinction and experience.

By the way... it's an interesting question:
"what deck could have been created in that world?"

What deck could have been used to read Ian Solo fortune?
Or...
Three decks to the elven kings under the sky
Seven for the dwarven lords in their Halls of stone
Nine for the mortal men, doomed to die.
(and I won't talk of the last deck)

ric
Coo. I am impressed. I was answering more generically; I had no idea Ric was so knowledgeable in so MANY things......

RubyV

As a fan of Sci-fi/fantasy, this thread has me wondering which decks would match my favorite fantasy worlds?

What deck for the world of the Belgariad and the Mallorean?

Or the Deryni?

or the world of the coldfire Trilogy?

Fun indeed!

Skimo

I have just looked at the Maroon tarot, with 78 cards, it could have been the good one!

Still looking ;o)

Skimo

RubyV said:
As a fan of Sci-fi/fantasy, this thread has me wondering which decks would match my favorite fantasy worlds?

What deck for the world of the Belgariad and the Mallorean?

Or the Deryni?

or the world of the coldfire Trilogy?

Fun indeed!

Or Pern? and Darkover?

Oddity

Hi, I'm a larper too. :D

A suggestion: could you make your own deck?

It seems to me that would be easier to make an "old" deck, than searching for the perfect new deck and then seasoning it to make it look old. It would look much more genuine, and any flaws in the cards would just add to the atmosphere.
You could use thick yellowish paper and different coloured inks. It would be beautiful.

And you can put any symbolism in it that you want and make a deck that really fits your character and the world.

I'm also guessing, since you are the one making your own deck, you won't have to "learn" it like you would have to with a deck that someone else has designed. All the images will be your own, from the first moment on.
I think a deck like that might really add to the larp experience, both for yourself and the people you read for.

RubyV

Skimo said:
Or Pern? and Darkover?

Something beautiful and handmade for darkover!

I could see the renunciates having their own deck as well.

Skimo

Oddity said:
Hi, I'm a larper too. :D

A suggestion: could you make your own deck?

It seems to me that would be easier to make an "old" deck, than searching for the perfect new deck and then seasoning it to make it look old. It would look much more genuine, and any flaws in the cards would just add to the atmosphere.
You could use thick yellowish paper and different coloured inks. It would be beautiful.

And you can put any symbolism in it that you want and make a deck that really fits your character and the world.

I'm also guessing, since you are the one making your own deck, you won't have to "learn" it like you would have to with a deck that someone else has designed. All the images will be your own, from the first moment on.
I think a deck like that might really add to the larp experience, both for yourself and the people you read for.

In fact, I am actually working on a deck, for the fun and for my niece, but I guess that the little mad cow tarot won't fit in Elric world ;o)

But it could be a good idea!

Morwenna

For Pern, a dragon deck! What else? ;)

For Deryni, any historical medieval one, the flossier the better.

For Middle-earth: hmmm... the published LOTR deck does nothing for me... I suppose it depends on which cultures are using them. Elves, Dwarves, Men, and Hobbits would all use different ones! :)

Morwenna

I just looked at the pix of the Fantastical Tarot. I've never read Elric, but from all I've heard from those who have (I go to SF conventions several times a year), that's the one I'd want in that situation!! And with basic RW imagery, it shouldn't be too hard to read cold. Only the artwork would modify things a bit, but if you know RW well enough, it should be OK.