Tarot Deck Creation Study Group

Nightwalker

Major Tom said:
Don't you find trying to stick to a single theme a bit restricting? ...You could mix and match. })

I dont really find using a single theme restricting as I've got tons of ideas but I may mix and match in that I've got bunches of images I would like to use.

Have managed to download Paint Shop Pro on a trial basis so I'm hoping to get something put together soon.

I love all the cards everyone's been posting. Keep up the good work. Your work has been inspiring me.

Nightwalker

Hush

hey...thanks major tom :)

and as with nightwalker, i dont really think that working with a theme restricts me at all. and if it does, its in a good way. obviously, working on a deck that i have complete free range with would be cool and i plan to move onto it, but working for the first time on a deck within these borders helps keep it focused, you know? there are a bizillion of ideas i have, and having the buffy theme means i have a huge resource to draw upon. its useful when doing this for the first time :)

Major Tom

Hush said:
hey...thanks major tom :)

working for the first time on a deck within these borders helps keep it focused, you know? there are a bizillion of ideas i have, and having the buffy theme means i have a huge resource to draw upon. its useful when doing this for the first time :)

Sometimes I feel thick as a brick. }) I think I understand your approach now - and it sounds very sensible. This great deck you're making is practice for all the great decks you're going to make in the future. :)

I feel really priviledged to be associated with the energy, wisdom, light and sheer talent that all the contributers to this study group bring into the Aeclectic community.

Malachite

How much symbolism are you allowed on a tarot deck?,,,Is there an upper limit, can it get too crowded, or can it be so devoid of symbolism that no one else will ever understand it?...
I've been leaving plenty of white space on my card designs for some deeper symbolic references, but now i;m starting to wonder how much i need....
For example, we are always discussing minute details on the R-W, but how much of that is decor that we ourselves are finding meaning for, and how much is intentional symbolism?

HELP!!

Morgeinne

Diana: Wow...sorry for ya, but at least you guys decided to continue with the deck! Don't let it get you down, maybe in the future you can try to get it commercialized again.

Hush: You worded that perfectly...I need the borders, otherwise I'll go crazy trying to mix and match, it IS my first time :)

Major Tom: Thanks much :)

Here's the High Priestess: Hermione Granger. I realize that the two images I featured most prominently in both of the individual cards (HP and H) are the two images on the Lovers card...the reason for this is...well there's two reasons, one is that the images all simply worked the best together, even though they were repeated on the different cards...the second is that I've always felt a sort of connection between the HP and the H and I wanted to bring that out in the Lovers card since I was using my characters for the HP and H as the Lovers...now that I've confused the bejeezus out of you, please look at my High Priestess :) *bats eyelashes* pretty please?

Attachments

• highpriestess.jpg
    highpriestess.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 93

Major Tom

Diana said:

A DBZ tarot deck does not fit in with the products they want to license, apparently.

Sorry to hear of your misfortune Diana. :( Some people - whether through lack of knowledge or something else - don't see tarot cards as something good...

Malachite -

I think all the symbols on the Rider-Waite cards were meant to be there... An upper limit? Hmmm. I would guess the upper limit is somewhere around the point where the cards' essential image is obsecured by symbols rather than revealed. I can imagine sorting out rune/tarot correspondences is a bit problematic...how do you do it? Mind you - I don't know anything about runes...

Morgeinne - I've always felt that connection between the High Priestess and Heirophant too - you've put a unique twist on that connection with your cards. I like it. :)

kayne

Malachite said:
How much symbolism are you allowed on a tarot deck?,,,Is there an upper limit, can it get too crowded, or can it be so devoid of symbolism that no one else will ever understand it?...

Malachite: I think you can have as much symbolism as you want - it is all in the way the image is composed that makes the difference. As long as there are dominant images/symbols I don't think it hurts to include more symbols in the back ground. It just means that the person reading the card can learn the 'primary' images but if they have an interest they can delve further into them. I love that quality some decks have where you see something new everythime you look at the card... really magical :TMAGE

Malachite

Well...at least i don't have much work to do, then..

;)

Hush

hey...im glad you understand where me and morgeinne are coming from now major tom :)

i like your high priestess card morgeinne, you blend images so well! im awful at it...maybe you could try lightening it up a bit? *shrugs* either way, it looks great :)