Tarot Deck Creation Study Group

Hush

hey catlin - i know id love another member in the group! the more the merrier, and post whenever you can :)

nightwalker - for some reason i have been dyyyyying to see your cards, and im biting my nails as the load. lol. definatly having a good feeling about your cards :)

after seeing the cards: heh, very light hearted feeling :) whats the theme (im sure you mentioned there was one?) i dont recognise it. maybe on the death card, you could soften up the edges on the image? use a slight blur or turn down the pressure of the rubber? just something to lighten up the edges between the foreground and background images.

as for the fool card - have you tried fiddling with the contrast on the foreground image? it might make it look a little less like its been cut out and put there, y'know? more an integral part of the picture. again, soften the edges?

please dont get the wrong idea - i love them, they make me smile so much, and i really wanna see everyones cards come together well :)

Nightwalker

Hush said:

nightwalker - .... whats the theme (im sure you mentioned there was one?) i dont recognise it.
....please dont get the wrong idea - i love them, they make me smile so much, and i really wanna see everyones cards come together well :)

My theme is from "Dark Shadows". A spooky soap opera from the 60's. In the Fool Card Willie Loomis is searching for a Collins family secret he found reference to in an old book. In the image on the bottom he has found what he thinks is great treasure in a chained up coffin but in fact he unleashes a vampire. On the Death Card is Barnabus, the vampire.

I have not gotten the wrong idea from your suggestions. I'll see what I can do to tweak the pictures. I'm still trying to figure out Paint Shop Pro, (I downloaded it for a 30 day trial), so suggestions are welcome. I'm just happy that I actually got something put together without pulling all my hair out...I do have a few left. LOL

Nightwalker

Melvis

Nightwalker: I *love* Dark Shadows! I was rather young when I first saw it, but I still appreciated how spooky it was! I don't remember much about it except for Barnabas and the great theme music. (By the way...go to this TV Theme song page, play the 'Dark Shadows' theme, then take another look at Nightwalker's Death Card at the same time! It'll send chills up your spine!) :eek:

I also like how you found an image of Willie looking over his shoulder...very Fool-ish posture! ;)

Paint Shop Pro: The Retouch button (shaped like a downward pointing hand) on the Tool Palette menu has many adjustment tools (including Soften, Sharpen, Lighten, and others) that you can apply to small areas of your picture. I use it all the time to soften edges, etc. It might help with some of Barnabas' 'sharper' edges. ;)

Peace,

Melvis

Hush

huff. im on a bit of a tarot deck creators block. its not that i dont know what to do....but it kind of is. I'm at a bit of a point where im gonna have to really start thinking about the cards, and what i want and dont want in it. the added pressure of coursework doesnt help :rolleyes:

how's everyone else getting on?

Nightwalker

Well, I'm still working on ideas, but I've been centering on learning PSP. There is just so much you can do I feel that I've entered a whole new dimension with it. I did do some tweaking on the cards that I posted here but not really 100% happy with them yet. I haven't given up, I just need a bit more patience, and practice with PSP.

Nightwalker

Melvis

Hi, all!

I've acquired a few new books of art, so now I'm sorting through them, finding bits and pieces that I think I might use in my deck.

I now realize that I'm becoming more and more enamored with children's book illustrations from the 1800's and early 1900's. Artists like Arthur Rackham, N.C. Wyeth, Jessie Wilcox Smith...there is so much character and charm in their illustrations. Their pictures seem to be slowly taking over my deck from all the old European paintings that I started out with! I just hope I can keep the deck looking cohesive.

I'm still having fun though, and learning things as I go, which is the point, for me at least! ;)

(And now for something completely different: I've included a picture of the Hanged Man from my "Stellar Journey" deck. I need to work on the text, so it looks better and so it's clearer that it's two people talking. I would have included the names of both speakers, but that's just too much text. This card, along with the Lovers card that I previously posted, are the only ones in this deck that I have close to completion.)

Peace,

Melvis
:TSTRE

Attachments

• 12m.jpg
    12m.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 114

Hush

*nudges thread back up to the top*

im sorting out a website for my deck, and i was wondering if i could use the FAQ about tarot on aeclectic...do i ask solandia if i can use it? (giving the site its props, obviously)

Sorceress_Jade

Harry Potter Tarot

Morgeinne... Where are the rest of these cards please. I'd love to critique them. You may like to check out this cute little spoof.

http://www.qaimlyn.com/padfootmk/tarot.htm

I could kabitz about it, but i thought they had a good start really.

Ravenswing

just a suggestion

for those of us who are not entirely sure about images for our cards, this might help; it's giving me a greater feel fo rwhat i want to create.

take 78 3 x 5 blank index cards. label them with a border. in the blank area, make notes as to what images and details you want to include on the card. use it just like any other deck-- shuffle it, play with it, do layouts and read with it. make it an organic thing.

as you go along, your images will become more concrete-- make sketches on the reverse side of the index card. once you have a sketch you like, keep that side up. soon you'll have a working (literally) copy of your creation.

and that's the time to make your final deck.

most of all, have fun

LVX
steve

Morgeinne

Re: Harry Potter Tarot

Sorceress_Jade said:
Morgeinne... Where are the rest of these cards please. I'd love to critique them. You may like to check out this cute little spoof.

http://www.qaimlyn.com/padfootmk/tarot.htm

I could kabitz about it, but i thought they had a good start really.

I think I"ll check that site out...in the meantime (sorry I've been busy, haven't been on much, INET screwing up and whatnot) here is the Tower (Hogwarts.) It's not a montage like the others...but...I loved the winter picture of Hogwarts I found so I edited part of it to use.

*hugs*
Morgeinne

Attachments

• thetower.jpg
    thetower.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 81